6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2009 4:44 PM by pixlor

text to vector to keep from distorting

ed19 Level 1
      Hi,

I need to make the logo which is partly text and partly rectangle shape using the rectangle tool and convert all of this which I have in both .png and .jpg to a vector type file (.ai) so that when it is printed on something larger it does not distort. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this, I am simply trying to keep the logo from looking ugly and distorted when it is stretched to be printed in different sizes.

I only found
      Select Text > Convert to Paths
      in the FW CS3 documentation online.

Thank you very much
        • 1. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
          pixlor Level 4
          That depends on what kind of .png file you have. If it's a Fireworks .png, and the text is editable, then it is already in vector format. From there, you could convert it to paths, in case you needed to move it to a system that didn't have the font installed.

If you have a flattened, bitmap image, however, where the text is just represented by colored pixels, then you need to either get the original source file, find out what the font is and recreate the vector logo with the text and the rectangle, or figure out a way to convert or trace the letters by hand. (This latter would be easier to do in an application that is dedicated to vector drawing, where the tool set is better. )

• 2. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
            ed19 Level 1
            How to check it and make sure it's really in .ai vector format?

Here is what I did.

Took original .png file that is only a logo, which is a text, with a couple of styles used that have shadowing, and bevels. It also has a small rectangle drawn using the rectangle tool in the logo. All this is on a transparent canvas.

then, I highlighted the entire thing by dragging my mouse over all that work, went to Select Text > Convert to Paths
            then, I did file > save as > logo.ai.

Now I have other .ai files that where made in illistrator by a friend. I upload my logo.ai file to a website that does printing and don't see anything in the preview on their site, but when I upload my friends .ai files they show up. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong in saving or converting? I need to do this with FW CS3 because thats what I have.

thanks
            • 3. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
              ed19 Level 1
              Can anybody help with the last above comment please?
              • 4. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
                pixlor Level 4
                That's really an Illustrator question. Maybe you should post on the Illustrator forum? Maybe there's a setting about saving a thumbnail? (I use a different vector program and I know I have that option for .eps files, so I'm only guessing.)

• 5. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
                  ed19 Level 1
                  What kind of program is good? What do you use? and is there a Free program that can change a png or jpg into .ai format?
                  • 6. Re: text to vector to keep from distorting
                    pixlor Level 4
                    quote:

Originally posted by: ed19
                    What kind of program is good? What do you use? and is there a Free program that can change a png or jpg into .ai format?

Well, I use Expression (and you can still get a version here: Creature House Expression 3 Downloads
                    There's also an open source program, Inkscape, which will save in AI formats.

You can't turn a .png or .jpg into an .ai file, though. Both the standard, non-Fireworks .png and the .jpg format are bitmaps, which basically means that the color of each pixel is specified. The .ai format is vector, which contains mathematical descriptions of the objects to render. If all you have is a .jpg, then you will need to re-create the image in a vector format by opening the image and using it as a guide for creating all the new objects.