14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 6:33 AM by hughstick

I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.

hughstick

Is this happening to others? I have checked that CS6 is the destination in the Export menu but it won't go there.

• 1. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to explain your workflow better. You don't export to another application. You export to a folder on your computer. If you are talking about editing in Photoshop CS6, then make sure that it is chosen as a secondary external editor in your Lightroom preferences.

• 2. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
            hughstick Level 1

Thanks for the comeback.

When I finish editing in LR I right click on the image to bring up the Export menu. I Export as jpeg (usually) and have it Open In Other Application with CS6 selected. For years it has saved the new jpeg in the original folder and also opened it in CS6 for further editing. Now the jpeg is saved but it goes to CC 2015 instead.

CS6 is set as the secondary in Preferences and is chosen in my Export preset.

• 3. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.

What happens if you use the "Edit in" option and choose Photoshop CS6? It isn't necessary to save the image before you go to Photoshop. But I suppose you already know that.

• 4. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Do not Export! (in any way)

When you right-click, you choose [Edit In]

The menu that opens will give you choices- CC2015 as the 'default' and CS6  as the 'secondary external editor'

You should have CS6 set up in the preferences [External Editing] tab as an "Additional External Editor". -Be sure that this option points to CS6 in your programs folder.

• 5. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                  hughstick Level 1

Jim,

Same thing: even though CS6 is selected it still opens in CC 2015 when choosing Edit In.

I know I don't need to save before going to PS but I like to have a "clean" jpeg copy saved before working in CS6.

Thanks. We'll figure this out. There seems to be an override from Adobe. I have set and re-set the presets and Preferences to no avail.

• 6. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                    hughstick Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

Same thing happens in Edit In even though CS6 is selected it still opens in CC 2015.

I know I don't need to save before going to PS but I like to have a "clean" jpeg copy saved before working in CS6.

Thanks. There seems to be an override from Adobe. I have set and re-set the presets and Preferences to no avail.

• 7. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional
                      like to have a "clean" jpeg copy saved before working in CS6

Do you mean to have two copies as JPG?  (1.The Export,  2.The PS edit. )

If you have both PS-CC and CS6 installed in your computer you will still require both programs showing in the "Edit-In" list of external editors. (as in Post#4)

If your original is a JPG-

then "Edit In" allows you to edit a copy OR the original- without you having to export anything.

If your original is a raw (nef, cr2, dng, etc)-

There really is no need to create a "clean" copy, as you can export again from the original at any time. (and history can take you back to any step if you apply develop edits to the derivative jpg in Lightroom)

• 8. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.

hughstick wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason I don't save before going into Photoshop is that the JPEG image is a compressed file, and every time you save a JPEG that compression has a negative impact on the quality of the image. I prefer to go directly from Lightroom to Photoshop and then save as a TIF image. Then I export JPEG images from Lightroom when/if they are needed for e-mail or whatever. Having a "clean JPEG" is really kind of an oxymoron because of the compression that is applied. I don't like to work on JPEG images at all In Photoshop. I save the conversion process to JPEG to the very end, creating them using the export dialogue in Lightroom when I need JPEG images. And after I have used those JPEG images for their intended purpose they are discarded. I see little need to keep them around.

• 9. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                          hughstick Level 1

Thanks for your time and advice. I agree that I don't need the extra JPEG. I have been importing to LR form my desktop folder and then exporting/sending to PS as a JPEG. After editing I have the option to Save (which can replace the 1st saved JPEG) or Save AS leaving the original alone.

But after advice from you and from Jim I am now going to go from LR to PS as a TIFF instead and later save a JPEG only when needed. I'll use more disk space with the TIFFs but save a little by not creating unnecessary JPEG files.

I am still having the original issue: when I try to Export or Edit In and send to CS6 it always goes to CC 2015 even though it says it's going to CS6.

Hugh

• 10. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                            hughstick Level 1

Thanks for your time and advice, Jim. I agree that I don't need the extra JPEG. I have been importing to LR form my desktop folder and then exporting/sending to PS as a JPEG. After editing I have the option to Save (which can replace the 1st saved JPEG) or Save AS leaving the original alone.

But after advice from you and from wobertc I am now going to go from LR to PS as a TIFF instead and later save a JPEG only when needed. I'll use more disk space with the TIFFs but save a little by not creating unnecessary JPEG files.

I am still having the original issue: when I try to Export or Edit In and send to CS6 it always goes to CC 2015 even though it says it's going to CS6.

Hugh

• 11. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.

I know this is really a dumb question. But it's Photoshop CS6 still installed and usable on the computer? I got caught by that one after I uninstalled CS6.

• 12. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                                hughstick Level 1

Not dumb. But yes, I am able to open them (JPEGs converted from CR2 in LR) from my desktop folder in CS6 but not directly from LR.

• 13. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                                  hughstick Level 1

Adobe has admitted that they have a "bug" in Creative Cloud for Mac users and I have a feeling that my issue is due to that. I hope to hear from them very soon with a fix.

• 14. Re: I can't export images to PS CS6 - always opens in PSCC 2015.
                                    hughstick Level 1

After a lengthy chat with Adobe reps I force quit some Creative Cloud elements and reinstalled both CC and CS6 which cleared everything up.

Thanks for all the good input. I will now send from LR to CS6 as TIFF files.