3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 10:53 PM by limakid2015

Naming a slice on export

bobtem Level 1
      In a document I've got a slice set up and have given it a name. Additionally, I've created a rollover state for it. When I export, it is not using the slice name, but rather seeing to just default to naming it by the filename and then appending with "frame" for the rollover state.

The Fireworks Help file explicitly states that for slices "Fireworks uses the name you specify to name the files that are generated from slicing upon export."

What am I missing?
        • 1. Re: Naming a slice on export
          bobtem Level 1
          Ok, I've figured it out. Fireworks, doesn't understand how to export a single slice to use the "slice" name. For some reason it ignores the slice name and just uses the file name.

So, now my question is "Why?". What if I've made edits to one particular slice and just want re-export just that slice? But now Fireworks won't write over that slice because it's not naming the slice according to it's name. So I have to manually remember to export at least two slices, or manually go change the name of the slice file after exporting?

• 2. Re: Naming a slice on export
            Level 7
            bobtem wrote:
            > Ok, I've figured it out. Fireworks, doesn't understand how to export a single
            > slice to use the "slice" name. For some reason it ignores the slice name and
            > just uses the file name.
            >
            > So, now my question is "Why?". What if I've made edits to one particular slice
            > and just want re-export just that slice? But now Fireworks won't write over
            > that slice because it's not naming the slice according to it's name. So I have
            > to manually remember to export at least two slices, or manually go change the
            > name of the slice file after exporting?
            >
            >
            >
            >
            It should use the slice name if you choose Export Select Slice.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
            ---
            • 3. Re: Naming a slice on export
              limakid2015 Level 1

Hi. I just made something like you. Let's see if understand. I have a  big PNG graphic, a navigation bar with 11 slices, 10 of them are also  buttons. I made some settings.  Check the attached files please to  illustrate what I got.

In "screen.jpg" you see 3 graphics, . IN the first one (which isi the original PNG of FW) I selected the long rectangule below and the frst button "Inicio" using shift + click in Mac. I went to Export > in the dialog box I checked "Only selected slices" (or  equivalent in english), I exported to HTML.

As you see  below, in the Dreamweaver interface, the result was all the big  canvas with the only 2 slices. You know? One practical way was to check  all the exported GIF images, in this case just these 2 and through the  command Insert > Image, you select the slice image of your interest.  Probably you'll find ot on the images sub-carpet (if set).

The problem is that you may not see it with the same name you exported. The same happens to me, also when I set up html files in the links field in FW don't match the link field in DW after export, so I decided to just set up the links again in DW. Too weird! No sense right? So for what is those link fields in FW? screen.jpg