4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 3:39 AM by DdeGannes

darker photo when importing

torkildi81608387

Hi My photo is getting darker and I loos a lot of nice value in the highlights when I import. I have a mac.

Anyone know why and can I turn it of?

Torkild

• 1. Re: darker photo when importing
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When the images are first imported into Lightroom (raw images) the embedded JPEG image is first displayed. That JPEG image will reflect all of the adjustments that were made in the camera. However, Lightroom builds a preview of just the raw image data. Most of the in-camera settings are ignored. This can easily be resolved with presets that are applied during import, or creating your own camera defaults that better reflect your style of shooting.

• 2. Re: darker photo when importing
            torkildi81608387 Level 1

Thank you for a very good answer. Will I loos some of the quality when I import it? In this case I have many pictures of snow and I'm afraid of loosing the highlights

• 3. Re: darker photo when importing
              torkildi81608387 Level 1

Another question. Can I change the presets to camera defaults after I have imported and in case, how do I do it?

• 4. Re: darker photo when importing
                DdeGannes Level 5

Quote "Thank you for a very good answer. Will I loos some of the quality when I import it? In this case I have many pictures of snow and I'm afraid of loosing the highlights"

Are you shooting with a Canon or Nikon camera and selecting the special setting to maximise retention of highlights?

If so Lightroom does not apply the special setting that your camera would when processing the raw data. If you are shooting raw then it would be better to turn that special setting off in the camera.