6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 4:13 PM by Joanmaree

Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.

Joanmaree

I have been using Lightroom 5 to file and organise my photos. I now want to use Photoshop 14. How do I get my catalogues from Lightroom into Photoshop with the keytags organised in categoreies and sub categories as they are in Lightroom? I would appreciate some help please?.

• 1. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean Photoshop Elements 14? It’s not a good idea to have two different applications referencing the same files on your hard drive. But you could use Photoshop Elements in conjunction with Lightroom by setting up your external editor prefs. That avoids having to use Organizer. Ensure during your set-up, to select the application and not an alias (shortcut). Go to this link.

PSE14 As External Editor

• 2. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.
            Joanmaree Level 1

Thank you. Yes I did mean Photoshop Elements 14. I want to use PSE as my main organiser where I file and keyword my photos. But I have nt had any luck as there are lots of instructions for taking catalogues to Lightroom, which I did years ago from PSE 4, but not as much help for the other direction. I just thought that because I have a much newer version of PSE than I do LR then it would be better to file my photos there. But I am yet to be convinced either way. I do scrapbooking and make a lot of photo books so tend to use PSE more than LR.

Regards

Joan

• 3. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.

Yes sorry Joan, it’s not possible. Adobe makes it possible to import an Elements catalog into Lightroom but there seems little demand to go from Lightroom to Organizer. Both catalogs are SQLite but it would take some database knowledge to implement it.

You could select all images in LR and save metadata (Ctrl+S or Cmd+S) which would at least preserve your keywords and captions when doing a standard import into Organizer. If you use collections you may need to assign temporary keywords which could be used as the basis for creating Organizer Albums. But unfortunately it wouldn't preserve your hierarchy. 

• 4. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.
                Joanmaree Level 1

Thank you once again. I thought this may be the case. If I decide to do it I guess I will just have to rearrange my keytags into the hierarchy manually.

If you were starting a filing system from scratch, which I am going to do for an elderly relation, would you use the organiser in PSE or file them in Lightroom. She has my older versions of both of these, and doesn't want to fix photos, just file them.

I would welcome opinions on this before I start working on her photos.

• 5. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.

Yes Organizer is good for most people especially if all or most of the photos are jpegs. I think LR would be overkill if you are simply managing photos and not using the raw engine for editing or the export modules. As well as being able to add keywords and captions, there is a useful notes field, which is also searchable. And you can create Albums as well as working from folders. The Organizer also has a built in watch folder (normally Pictures or My Pictures) so new photos added to your computer get imported to Organizer automatically. In the latest versions of PSE you can also use the separate tabs for Places, People and Events which give further levels of Organization. Also there are no Creative Cloud versions of PSE or mobile trials to worry about.

• 6. Re: Taking catalogues from Lightroom to Photoshop.
                    Joanmaree Level 1

Really good advice thankyou. I will set the new file up in PSE for my relative, but haven't decided what I will do with my 18,000 photos currently filed in LR. I do like the notes and captions section of PSE which allows you to add more infomration.