0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 10:35 AM by mary kj10500839

Editing video from an external Hard Drive - Which HD is best?

mary kj10500839

I am using Premier Pro CC, on a late 2015 MacBook Pro OS Yosemite 10.10.5.

It seems far more affordable to go with an external HD vs upgrading the internal storage, not to mention safer for my laptop.

I'm currently looking at the G-Technology 3TB G-Drive with Thunderbolt

Click here for details: B&H Photo Video

I've been collecting quite a bit of footage, and already storing most of it on an external 1.5TB Drive, the SeaGate Free Agent GoFlex drive -- which does not discuss the processing speed anywhere easy to find... and from what I've read that indicates I could run into errors in the data transfer and writing. It is a USB 3.0 however... so maybe it'll work.

To try and understand if this option was possible I reviewed this article:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/hard-drive-solutions-video-ed iting-studios

"

USB 3.0: This interface replaced USB 2.0 and is far, far faster. The theoretical maximum transfer rate of USB 3.0 is 4.8Gb/s, or 600MB/s. However, to achieve the 4.8Gb/s speed, both the computer and drive must support the USB attached SCSI (UAS) mode. If either device is not using that mode, the performance of USB 3.0 is about the same as eSATA, which is still fast enough for a high-speed single drive, or a dual-drive RAID 0.

Thunderbolt: This is one of the fastest interfaces currently available. Thunderbolt 1 works at up to 10Gb/s, or 1250MB/s, while Thunderbolt 2 supports an even higher speed of 20Gb/s, or 2500MB/s. These astronomical speeds are far higher than those of any single drive. Since Thunderbolt drives are typically more expensive than their USB 3.0 or eSATA equivalents, it may not be worth the price increase, since you won't see any higher performance. However, if you are using RAID arrays or SSD drives externally, Thunderbolt is the best interface."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary K