3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 11:52 AM by Newsgroup_User

Difference between AS1 & AS2?

Rothrock Level 5
      Okay, let's start with, "Don't ask." But at work we are maybe making a big step from publishing back to Flash 5 to the nearly modern world of publishing to Flash 7!

We have a legacy architecture of learning products that use Flash 5 smart clips and a bunch of other stuff and I am going through and converting it to Flash 7 -- initializing variables, making capitalization fixes, and removing function definitions from conditional statements. So far it is working.

I have just changed the publish setting from 5 to 7 and left the AS drop down on the default of AS1. But I'm wondering what will happen if I change it to AS2? I can't remember exactly what the difference in the published files will be. Is it just that the compiler will start to understand external classes or is there something else I will need to check. If anybody can remember that far back.....
        • 1. Re: Difference between AS1 & AS2?
          Level 7
          Rothrock,

> I have just changed the publish setting from 5 to 7 and left
          > the AS drop down on the default of AS1. But I'm wondering
          > what will happen if I change it to AS2?

Gosh, it's been a while. I think you might actually see a speed
          increase, because of how the registers changed in Flash Player 7. Of
          course, that might just happen automatically, regardless of the version of
          AS.

See Gary Grossman's PPT presentation here:
          www.adobe.com/kr/events/flashpro_powertips/documents/inside_flash_kr.ppt

... in particular, "4 initial registers were added in Flash 5 but not used
          heavily by compiler until Flash MX 2004"

In Flash CS3, the publish settings still include a checkbox labeled
          "Optimize for Flash Player 6 r65" (remember that one?), because -- if I
          remember right -- those registers started getting more use in that late
          revision of Flash Player 6. The checkbox seems to have disappeared in CS4.
          Not sure why.

> Is it just that the compiler will start to understand external
          > classes

That might just be the biggest (read, most significant) change, but AS2
          would also allow you to type your variables, which helps identify errors at
          compile time (doesn't help runtime until AS3).

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Difference between AS1 & AS2?
            Rothrock Level 5
            Yeah it seems most of the places where existing code could break are the player differences and not the AS1 & 2 differences.

And since none of it was typed in Flash 5. And my old nemisis typing. So funny that I resisted it for so long and now I'm a big fan. Go figure!

Thanks David.
            • 3. Re: Difference between AS1 & AS2?
              Level 7
              Rothrock,

> So funny that I resisted it for so long and now I'm a
              > big fan. Go figure!

Of course, there's also casting ... so now I'm wracking my brain,
              thinking of typecasting jokes.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."