9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 12:05 PM by davidt6195560

Exporting in After Effects?

Garrett T. Level 1

Hi, I'm new to...everything, and I need to know how to export a video in QHD without having this weird "Settings mismatch" thing in the Render Queue's Output Module Settings. I have the composition in 1440p and stuff, and I want to put this video on YouTube. YouTube says that the optimal video codec is H.264, but when I choose that codec (instead of the default "Animation" codec), I get this "Settings mismatch" error, then the video is resized to some obscure aspect ratio, then I get dumb letterboxing, then my world crumbles. Would I get better results using the Adobe Media Encoder (which I've never used)? Basically, what's the BEST way to export in high resolutions using After Effects (without settings being "mismatched")?

Thanks, G

• 1. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1440 comps are NOT square pixels and h.264 always is. Drag your main comp into a standard 1920 HD comp and it should fit perfectly. If it does not then check the PAR of the original comp and make sure the comp settings so not say custom. Render the new comp.

1440 is an acquisition frame size designed when the processing power of a camera was not powerfull enough to process a full HD frame. It has no use in the modern production workflow. It was never intended as a delivery format. I have no idea why it is still one of the default comp settings. You would have been much better off if you had started in a standard HD (1920) comp. Any 1440 footage would have fit perfectly in the frame automatically.

• 2. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
            davidt6195560 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. 1440p is about halfway between 1080p and 4k format so rendering it in 1080p would mean losing resolution. A higher resolution being an aquistion format for less powerful devices doesnt make sense to me.

• 3. Re: Exporting in After Effects?

1440 P is HDV format. 1080 refers to horizontal lines, 1440 refers to vertical.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 12.31.15 PM.png

If you have some other dimensions then show us your composition settings.

HDV fits exactly in a 1080 composition without any adjustments or scaling. There is no mp4 video standard that is 1440 pixels and square pixels. That is why you get the settings mismatch. Here are the standards: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

• 4. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
                davidt6195560 Level 1

I'm talking about QHD 1440p. 1440 pixels vertical and 2560 pixels horizontalUntitled.png

screen-estate-chart.jpg

• 5. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
                  davidt6195560 Level 1

I know its kind of an uncommon format but i'd thought it'd be nice to have it since there are pc monitors and cell phones out there that have 1440p displays. and rendering the whole thing in 4k would've taken too much time so QHD was a compromise. all my frames are in this format so this is why i'm asking...

• 6. Re: Exporting in After Effects?

Unfortunately that size does not fit in any of the H.264 standards.

I think that most mobile devices is pixel doubling that resolution

• 7. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
                      davidt6195560 Level 1

So is there any way to render it at a this resolution? I don't really care about the codec as long as its a reasonable file size (ideally mp4 but doesn't have to be) playable on most devices.

• 8. Re: Exporting in After Effects?

You are going to have a settings mismatch rendering to an MP4 file because of the way MPEG is compressed. I'd pick the closest supported frame size (see the link I provided) and nest my comp inside a new comp that is the right size and scale it up to fit making sure that the scale values are equal for X and Y and live with the cropped lines of letter boxing you end up with. The nearest frame size that I see is 2560 X 1920. You can either live with black bars at the top and bottom of the frame or scale the video up and crop the top and bottom edges. The reason for the specific frame size requirements for MP4 compression is that the video is divided into specific rectangular blocks of pixels and the values for color and luminance inside those blocks is averaged. You can't have a partial box of pixels. The compression scheme and the math just don't work out. If you do manage to render out at 2560 X 1440 and you send it to YouTube or Vimeo will recompress the video into the closest standard frame size anyway. There's no way around that. Even if you serve up the video from your own server most media players will pick a standard frame ratio for your video anyway.

As far as I can tell the qHD or more accurately WQHD is a Samsung smart phone display size. They have crammed that many pixels into the phone to make the text clearer but when you view a web page or a video on that phone in most cases you are getting frame doubling. I'm not seeing any new video monitors with that frame size. They are all 4K or better. Personally I think you're obsessing about a few pixels that are going to be very hard to see on a phone without using a magnifying glass. Delivering content as 4K (and there are several versions of that also) can also be a problem. Generally, unless you are absolutely sure that the majority of your audience is going to benefit with 4K resolution or you are trying to future proof your project you will probably be better off just using the HD standard for your frame size and letterbox the content to fit the picture ratio you want to use for your film.

• 9. Re: Exporting in After Effects?
                          davidt6195560 Level 1

I disagree with the Youtube part because a lot of videos offer 1440p as an option (for example this one COSTA RICA IN 4K 60fps (ULTRA HD) w/ Freefly Movi - YouTube). This was one of the reasons i wanted to try it in the first place.

I'll try your suggestions but you're probably right. It seems like a huge hassle over a few more pixels. Thanks for your help, you've been very informative and this seems like a helpful forum overall.