3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 12:49 PM by Steve Grisetti

Challenge - during Slideshow creation in PRE

Alex-F Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I have tried to solve this by reading the posts at this forum. I have learned a lot.

However (as many of the good examples here are non-PAL which we use in Europe), I have a problem when I now want to create a movie with Premiere Elements (9). Please assist me!

My aim is to take my 4:3 photographs from the camera and make them into a movie. The output format is intended be in the 4:3 TV-format using PAL. (I will use a 16:9 TV 1080p, but in this case there is no problem that there will be a black border to the left and to right of the photographs. It is more vital that the format is 4:3, non-widescreen) The format I'll start with is the DVD-format.

My problem is directly at the beginning of the project when starting to use Premiere Elements. Even if I have done some serious studies here. It concerns the Premier Elements Projects presets.

(A) What project preset will provide the "best" output result for 4:3 photos, when aiming at a DVD-disc (non-widescreen)?

I have learned through a good post here that the "best" project setting for 16:9 is:

Project preset: PAL DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p25

Import 1920 x 1080 photos.

Export: Disc. DVD disc. PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

But what is the best project preset for 4:3? And what pixel-size would you recommend that I will decrease my original camera photo 4:3 to?

(B) Will the suggested answer (above) be the "best" output in PRE 13 and 14 as well (or have Adobe changed the presets in those later versions)?

(C) Finally on project presets in Premiere Elements, which are rather hard to grasp. I know that they will have an impact on the editing area in PRE and if DVD-menus are made. But will the Project preset have an impact on the final result? Example when exporting/encoding to a DVD or Blu-ray-disc? 

Thank you in advance for helping me and every user in Europe using Premiere Elements for PAL and DVD.

• 1. Re: Challenge - during Slideshow creation in PRE
          pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi Alex,

Please find below the answers of your queries -

(A) - For 4:3 results on DVD Disc, you can use NTSC or PAL with DV - Standard 48KHz preset

(B) -  You can use the following settings to get the output 4:3 on DVD disc

Project preset: PAL DV - Standard

Import 720 x 576 photos.

Export: Disc. DVD disc. PAL_Standard.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 2. Re: Challenge - during Slideshow creation in PRE
            Alex-F Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your reply. As I posted it February 15th I did not think someone was going to reply at this forum. I appreciate it.

So the recommendation for best PRE Project Preset for a DVD-flow with 4:3 images to 4:3 TV PAL is for PRE9, 13 and 14 is: PAL DV - Standard

Thank you Pankaj.

---

(C) Then before I close this discussion I still wonder if the Project Preset chosen will have and impact on the output result in any way? E.g. concerning viewing quality on the TV, etc. I know that the chosen Project Preset will have impact on the editing area and the menus.

Take for example the 16:9 for PAL! There are several to chose between in PRE, if you like me have still images in 1920 x 1080 pixels. DSLR 1080p25, AVCHD Full-HD 1080i25 ...

To understand the hard subject of Premiere Elements Project Presets. Will the chosing of DSLR 1080p25 versus AVCHD Full-HD 1080i25, have an impact on the encoded output result or not?

Thank you for your reply in advance.

• 3. Re: Challenge - during Slideshow creation in PRE
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DVDs are standard resolution, so Pankaj's recommendations are right on the nose.

Also, I recommend that before you add the photos to your video project, you first resize them to 1000 pixels wide, 750 pixels tall (at 72 ppi). This reduces the photos to closer to video resolution and will make for a much faster, smoother workflow all around.