8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 1:02 PM by Conrad C

Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?

Birds and Landscape

I tried to do a pano with 6 photos in LR 6, but got an error message and it refused to merge them.  So, then I tried it in Photoshop - and it worked!  What does it mean that it wouldn't process in LR6?  Does Photoshop use a different process?

• 1. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi birdsandlandscape,

Please refer HDR photo merge | Lightroom CC and make sure you are following the correct Procedure.

Are you Processing Raw or other image Formats?

Ensure Lightroom6 is up to date.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
            Birds and Landscape Level 1

THis was for the pano merge not HDR. The files (6 images) were raw and I have the last update for LR6.  Is the process that Photoshop uses different from LR?  This is on an iMac

• 3. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only difference is that LR is creating a raw pano (DNG) and PS is producing a pixel based pano (tiff, PSD etc).

• 4. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have done panorama images using Lightroom with as many as 14 separate images. These are only 12 megapixel files, but Lightroom handled the stitching just fine. How large are the files (in megapixels), and how much RAM do you have installed?

• 5. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think LR’s matching-detection and PS’s matching-detection may be starting with different sizes of images and perhaps images in a different stage of rendering so the matching might fail for one vs the other. 

Are you getting a specific error like Images need to be the same size or something generic like Merge Failed?

• 6. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
                    Birds and Landscape Level 1

The message I got was a generic one and asked me to check my files.  I have done pano merges successfully in LR before with 5-6 photos.  I think they were 24mp each. Currently, my computer is 8 RAM.  But I only use that computer for photo processing and have all my image files on a separate SSD drive.

So, I was curious as to whether someone was wrong with my technique (I took the photos to make sure the horizon was kept level; I wasn't pivoting but my feet weren't moving) and PS has more advanced capabilities, or if it was just some glitch with LR.  I'm glad one of the programs was able to do it because I won't be able to go back to that location for awhile.  

Thanks for the responses everyone.  It sounds like the processes are different, though I don't fully understand what it means, lol.

• 7. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To determine if LR is having an issue with finding matching points with a pair of photos, try stitching the first 3, then the last 3 and finally 3,4 and see if those subsets all work.  If so then it's not a pair-matching problem.  If they don't all work, then whichever set doesn't try each pair of photos in that set and see if they work.  If one set doesn't then you know which 2 photos LR can't match.  If they all work, still, then it could be a resource issue.  One way to test that would be to upload the photos to somewhere like www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here, and others with more memory or different computer models can try and see if things work for them.  At least you'd know what the problem was or wasn't, whether you could fix things by adding more memory or not.

If you are finding a set of photos that won't stitch that really should, then it would be useful for Adobe to have them to see if there is something that needs tweaking with the algorithm.   There were some hiccups initially that were fixed but that doesn't mean there aren't more issues to resolve.

• 8. Re: Why would Photomerge work in Photoshop but not in Lightroom 6?
                        Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Birds and Landscape wrote:

What does it mean that it wouldn't process in LR6?  Does Photoshop use a different process?

Yes, the processes are quite different. In addition to producing different output (Photoshop vs DNG), you've probably noticed that Photoshop and Lightroom/Camera Raw have different starting options (e.g. Boundary Warp vs Content-Aware Fill, and different choices for projections).

Because the underlying code isn't the same, you can get different results from the same set of images. I definitely have some sets that Photoshop can merge easily but Lightroom refuses to merge. It sounds to me like you've run into one of those. Both programs should be able to merge images that were shot well; when Lightroom has trouble with mine it's usually because I hand-held the shots and the shot consistency wasn't ideal. For some reason the panorama code in Photoshop is more easily able to find the areas in common and merge them.

I prefer to use Lightroom to get the DNG output, but when it doesn't work in Lightroom, Photoshop can usually handle it.