Issues with AME & After FX Rendering

TheSkilledPlaya

My laptop specs:

Nvidia Quadro K3000M, Intel i7-3740QM 3.5GHz

16GB RAM

Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I tried rendering my video on both these programs:

Adobe Media Encoder:

I start the render. It seems to go fast at the beginning but it slows down and at the end, it says 10 min left but for every one second of the "time left" counter, it takes about 6 real seconds.

Then it continues to slow down until no more rendering happens.

After Effects:

I unchecked link project checkbox and let it render. It says 45 min remaining but the bar moves really slowly. After 10 min it still says 44 min remaining.

I just want to render a 720p video within 1.5 hours so I can regularly upload to youtube. I don't mind if it renders in AVI (I can compress it).

What are the settings or programs I can use? I can't render a single video. The last time I just let it render, it took 8 hours and never finished.

• 1. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you using (down to the last decimal)?

Can we see a screenshot of your memory settings preferences screen?

I'd recommend rendering to an image sequence out of AE's render queue. That way, if something goes wrong or if you need to stop the render for some reason, you can just pick up from where you left off. If you need audio, you can easily put your audio with your visuals in Premiere Pro.

You might consider using AE's "secret" preferences to purge every certain number of frames. Holding down “Shift” navigate to After Effects>Preferences>General and you'll get the "secret" settings.

• 2. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering
            TheSkilledPlaya Level 1

Sorry for the late reply.

Version: 13.5.0.347

RAM allocated in AME & AFX:

Screenshot_109.png Screenshot_110.png

How do I render to an image sequence? And what's the best setting for purging frames? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering

First of all, you should really consider updating. After Effects is now on version 13.7, so you're missing the 13.5.1 bug fixes, the 13.6 update, the 13.6.1 bug fixes, and the 13.7 update.

And, if your AE is that far out of date, your Adobe Media Encoder and other CC apps are likely that far behind as well. I'd look there first.

If you want faster rendering, it wouldn't be a bad idea to also install AE CC 2014.

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

The reason I suggest that is AE CC 2015 doesn't have multiprocessing (among other things). So, what I do is work in CC 2015 to enjoy the snappier user interface and updated interactivity enhancements and then I open that project file in CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing. Depending on your project and your computer hardware multiprocessing might speed things up a lot. (The AE team is working on a newer, better, less buggy version of multiprocessing, but until they have that replacement ready to go, I still use the old one.)

To render an image sequence, simply choose an image sequence as your format choice in AE's output module. TIFF, PNG, or even JPG sequences should work nicely.

• 4. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering
                TheSkilledPlaya Level 1

Updated all my adobe applications.

What should I tweak in purged frames? Thanks

• 5. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering

TheSkilledPlaya wrote:

What should I tweak in purged frames? Thanks

No idea.

It varies. If the issue is still occurring after all of your updates and you've tried CC 2014 and it's not working for you, you can try the "secret" purge options, but you'll have to experiment to see what works.

• 6. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering
                    TheSkilledPlaya Level 1

Thanks for your help, I think something fixed the issue after updating. However, every produced video is about 22.5 GB and needs to be compressed with external programs like HandBrake. What is the point of wearing out my HDD by creating these huge video files, just to realize that they can be compressed to ~200mb?

• 7. Re: Issues with AME & After FX Rendering

Rendering and compression is a whole other area of experience that professionals need to have. I can't really give proper instruction in a forum post, but I can give a quick overview.

You are rendering lossless files. That means they are pristine in quality. This isn't bad. In fact, it's usually what I do. You don't have to do that; you can send your AE comps directly to the Adobe Media Encoder to make a deliverable. I don't do that, but some folks do. It depends on your workflow.

Deliverable: a product compressed into a format and codec ready for playback.

Intermediate file: a video file that is uncompressed or is compressed using a production-quality codec (not very compressed).

Here's my normal workflow:

If my AE render is going to take a while (due to length or complexity of the composition), I render to an image sequence (PNG or TIFF). This way, if something goes awry (power outage, computer crash, etc.), I can just pick up the render from the frame where it left off. If you're rendering as a video file, it could render for 20 hours and then crash and you've got nothing! I then bring that image sequence into Premiere to put in the audio, trim things if needed, and output a deliverable.

If my AE render is only an hour or two, I will sometimes render to a video with an intermediate codec. I usually use Cineform, but DNxHD, QuickTime with the PNG codec, and QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec are all good choices. Then I will either bring the resulting file into Premiere for finishing or go right to the Adobe Media Encoder to make the deliverable.

Why don't I ever send my AE comp straight to the AME? Well, for my work, I often need to tweak my compression settings and whatnot for best quality at certain file sizes. This means I often have to produce multiple compressions. Instead of having to render my AE comp each time, I am just working off of a simple video file. It saves a whole bunch of time!

Also, I like to render with multiprocessing. AME doesn't do that. (Neither does AE CC 2015), by the way. So, I usually open my project in AE CC 2014 to render my intermediate file with multiprocessing turned on.

Some people have a standardized set of deliverable values (format, codec, data rate, etc.) so they just send their AE comp to the AME and then continue working on the next project in AE while AME renders in the background. It all depends on how YOUR workflow is best served. However, you need to have some experience and knowledge before you even know what's best for your situation.

Does that help?