5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 2:57 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine

victoriab61435291

Premiere Elements 14 - MOVIE MENU and DVD BURN

ISSUE #1:  HELP!!!   I have spent days and days trying to figure out why the DVD menus look so grain-y and poor quality even though the actual movie content looks fine. I upgraded from Premiere Elements 12 to 14 thinking the quality would improve, but no luck.  I have made my movie with lots of video segments, titles, additional audio tracks fading in and out, etc. All of this works just fine.

Then, when I select Move Menu, and from there the process... and result... is simply unacceptable. I chose the "Pan and Zoom" template, even though I wanted to use my own background images for the Main Menu and subsequent menus, because it was the only template with 6 thumbnails per page. I have uploaded many different files sizes and resolutions of my background images, thinking that that one would work.  I even found the original "Pan and Zoom" .PSD template files on my hard drive and checked the pixel count length and width, plus the inches length and width, plus the DPI.

EVERY one of my own images (including the one I formatted the exact size of the "Pan and Zoom" template)  looks hugely pixelated when I do preview movie... or actually make a DVD in Premiere Elements 12.  In Premiere Elements 14, burning a DVD does not even work.  The resulting disc is not playable on any of my computers or DVD players.  This is my ISSUE #2.

Is there any way to upload some screen shots to help you see what my poor-quality menus look like compared to the high-quality movie?

• 1. Re: PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

At what point are you judging the look of the menus?

If you're looking at the Preview, note that this preview is for testing the navigation. It is a low-resolution representation of your menu and movie.

Or are you judging your DVD by playing it full-screen on your computer? If so, what program are you playing it with? DVDs are interlaced and will look a bit fuzzy on a computer. VLC Media Player does a much better job at interpolating these frames and will present a much better playback than crappy players like Windows Media Player.

Also note that your video monitor is four or more times the resolution of a DVD (which is 720x480). So at full screen your DVD is never going to look as good as it will on your TV.

Though it appears you haven't yet been able to watch it on your TV because it won't play in your disc player. Note that there are many factors that can affect whether or not your home-burned disc will play in your DVD player including: the brand of disc (Never use Memorex), it's a DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD-RW and how compatible your disc player is with home-burned discs (which are very different than factory DVDs.)

So without knowing more details, it's hard to offer advice. If you're looking advice, anyway, and you're not just here to rant. You can attach an illustration to your post by clicking the camera icon along the top of your Reply panel.

• 2. Re: PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine
            victoriab61435291 Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Steve.

I am a very inexperienced user when it comes to making movies and DVDs.  I realize now that when I chose to EXPORT & SHARE > DISC, Premiere Elements 14 made a very nice looking movie with disc menus that look good and work well... it just "burned" it to my own hard drive (C:) under a new location called DVD Drive (D:) rather than burning it onto the DVD-R I had inserted into my built-in CD/DVD RW Drive (E:).  My own ignorance prevented me from understanding this for a while.

So,

ISSUE 1 - lousy-looking DVD menus is a non-issue now.  Thank you.

ISSUE 2 - can't burn DVD... has morphed into a different problem, but this might not be the proper Forum in which to pursue the answer:

I cannot seem to make a DVD disc that will play when I insert it into all of my home DVD players.  (I have played many other home-made DVDs on these various DVD players that are attached to and/or built into my various TVs, so that is not the problem.)

I see that 2 years ago, you wrote in another forum "What's New in PE 13":

Burn your disc to ISOs and Folders. In version 13, your DVDs and BluRays can be burned directly to a disc or they can be archived as ISO image files for later burning to disc.

When I insert a new DVD-R into my (E:) drive, then go to PREMIERE ELEMENTS 14 > EXPORT & SHARE > DVD, then set the location as (E:) ... I get... "Status: Invalid Folder Location" and the BURN button is grayed out.

I have tried to simply drag and drop DVD Drive (D:) onto DVD RW DRIVE (E:).  The Windows 10 "Burn a Disc" Dialog box says "How do you want to use this disc?"  The 2 choices are "Like a USB flash drive" and "With a CD/DVD player."  I have chosen "With a CD/DVD player"  and although the resulting  "burn" activity gets the movie files copied to the DVD-R, I cannot play the disc in anything other than my computer.

Please let me know if I should address this in a different Forum. thanks.  (BTW, I hope you can tell that I am not here to rant.  I am sincerely here for assistance because my knowledge is so spotty and limited in certain areas.)

• 3. Re: PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine

I don't know what's going on with your DVD burner. It might be the hardware, might be a driver, might be another program keeping Premiere Elements from getting to it. (Nero is famous for doing this.)

But if your DVD is burning as a file to your hard drive, then the program has done what it can. And you can easily use a free program called ImgBurn to burn those DVD files to a disc. (As I point out in my books, this is the way I and a number of other editors prefer to work, for a number of reasons.)

Did the program create a VIDEO_TS folder on your D drive or did it create an ISO file?

• 4. Re: PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine
                victoriab61435291 Level 1

I don't have Nero on my PC.

You asked: Did the program create a VIDEO_TS folder on your D drive or did it create an ISO file?

Answer: It made an ISO file in a folder I created. When I double-click on the ISO file, 2 folders show up: OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS,

plus the location now indicates  DVD Drive (D:) 20160217_215101   (I assume the long number was generated by PE14.)

YOUR SUGGESTION WORKED!

I downloaded and installed ImgBurn.

I used it to successfully burn DVDs that will play in all my DVD players around the house.

Thanks very much!

• 5. Re: PE 14 - DVD menus look grain-y and poor quality even though actual movie content looks fine

Great news, Victoria! Glad you've been able to burn a disc.