11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 6:22 AM by Szalam

Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

Full of Eyes

Hi,

So, I recently upgraded to the newest edition of CC (2015.2 release, I believe). I'm running Windows 7 64bit and have 32GB RAM.

Since the upgrade, my RAM usage steadily rises whenever working in AE until, after about 30 min of pretty basic work, my usage is at 89-90% or more. I can purge the memory and disk cache and that drops the usage down to 15% buys me a few more minutes, but I've never had this issue before and have done much more involved AE work.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd recommend that you file a bug report so that Adobe can be aware of the issue: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Then, if this is preventing you from working (it would if it were me - that sounds highly frustrating), you can either uninstall then reinstall CC 2015 (but only update it to version 13.6.1) or you can install CC 2014 and use that. AE CC 2014 can open projects created in AE CC 2015 with no problems.

AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to get a job done.

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
            Full of Eyes Level 1

Thanks Szalam, yes, it does prevent me from doing the work that I need to. I see what you mean about the big changes Adobe is carrying out, that makes sense.

....I tried going back to 2014 and it seemed to be working for a day, but now everything is lagging again and my physical memory usage was up to 80% again after just a bit of editing.....is that even possible (I mean, for it to act this way on both versions) or does that sound like some other issue?

I don't think its a virus or anything because my usage drops down to 14% as soon as I close AE....hmmm.....

• 3. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

Full of Eyes wrote:

...is that even possible (I mean, for it to act this way on both versions) or does that sound like some other issue?

Sounds like something else if CC 2014 has the same issue.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

What scripts have you installed?

What third-party plugins?

Have you ever installed any third-party codec packs?

Do you have any previewing hardware installed (Matrox, Kona, AJA, Backmagic, etc.)?

• 4. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
                Full of Eyes Level 1

I don't have any codec packs or previewing hardware. I have a few Video Copilot plugins, but they've never caused any trouble before and are not in use in this project (Optical Flares being the main one).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the idea of a Memory Leak....what happened in CC2014 is that whenever I scrubbed through my scene the physical memory % climbed steadily (and rapidly) until it was at about 70% within 3 min or so of scrubbing back and forth (at quarter resolution).....that doesn't seem normal, and - strange as it may sound - it wasn't doing that yesterday (I did a whole day of work on CC2014 with no problems).

I jumped back to CC2015 today and the memory steadily climbs, but no where near as fast as it was doing for 2014. I had to purge twice in 1.5 hours of work. However, if I went to full resolution or RAM previewed a long section of clip, it skyrocketed into the 70's. And, the thing that seemed "leaky" to me is that, once it went up, it wouldn't go back down until I purged the memory (the mem history has a distinct "sawtooth" pattern). I thought the mem use % should go back down after a heavy haul....but, not so for AE.

So, thats my situation. I'm going to re-start my workstation and see if that helps........this is workable (albeit a bit tedious) right now...but in a week or two when it comes time to export the project.....I'm concerned about how this will impact things.

Oh, and a correction to the statistics above, I have 16GB RAM, not 32, ehehe....

• 5. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

As it builds a RAM preview, I would expect RAM to build up. What AE is doing is rendering your frames and storing them in RAM. Perfectly expected that running a RAM preview would fill it your RAM - especially since you don't have a lot of RAM. And I wouldn't expect it to empty either. You make a change that means it needs to redraw the entire RAM preview, but you press undo and your RAM preview is available again because it doesn't write it over until it needs to.

Is it causing issues when the memory fills up? Like, does it fill up all the way and then crash?

What are your memory settings in preferences (for both CC 2015 and CC 2014)? (Screenshots would be the easiest way to communicate that one.)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
                    Full of Eyes Level 1

Hmmm....right, that all makes sense.

I was confused, then, as to why my memory use is filling up so quickly (no, it doesn't cause AE to crash, just slow way down....noticeably more than in the past).....

However, I went into my memory preferences as you suggested to check on things and get a screenshot and saw that it listing my max RAM as 11.9......that's no good as I have 16gb installed and I distinctly remember seeing 15.9GB available in my memory preferences before.......it seems as though 4gb of memory is missing (my PC info also lists my installed memory as 16.0GB (11.9 Gb usable))........is it possible one of my RAM sticks (4X4gb) died on me?

• 7. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

Full of Eyes wrote:

...is it possible one of my RAM sticks (4X4gb) died on me?

Very much yes.

First thing to check would be that they are all seated in there correctly.

• 8. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
                        Full of Eyes Level 1

Well....we may be narrowing this down, thank you, Szalam...

Here are some pics....it seems to be recognizing all 16GB, which would make me think the sticks are seated correctly and not broken (?) but is only allowing me to use 11.9GB.....the only reason I know that this is a new development is because I remember how glad I was a few weeks ago to see 15.9GB available to use from within AE's memory preferences.....so.....something wonky has happened. But, I suppose it is not a memory leak, as I first thought.

Computer info:Dropbox - File Feb 19, 4 36 58 PM.jpeg

Task Manager:Dropbox - File Feb 19, 4 37 37 PM.jpeg

RAM:Dropbox - File Feb 19, 4 39 34 PM.jpeg

• 9. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

Hang on...

seated.jpg

Is that one loose?

Power the system down.

Disconnect all power sources.

Remove the memory. Verify that the memory slots are clean.

Reinstall the memory, into different slots this time, ensuring that they are firmly inserted and the locks click into place.

Reconnect everything and power back up.

What now?

Two unrelated things:

1. It would be better to upload images to this forum (with the little camera icon at the top of the reply box. I can't access dropbox at work, so I had to wait until I got home to see them

2. If you're going to take images of the screen, it's a lot easier to just use a screen capture vs. taking a picture with your phone... Most PC's have a Print Screen button that will take a screenshot. You can use Photoshop or Paint to crop it to the relevant area.

• 10. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min
                            Full of Eyes Level 1

Welk, it looks like one of the sticks was slightly unseated....I pressed it back in and now I'm back up to 16gb usable memory....wonderful, thank you for the help, Szalam. I'm guessing this is why my memory was filling up faster than usual.....the unexpected lagginess of my system caused me to check the memory use and this, in turn, caused me to notice the steadily increasing percentage which I hadn't seen before, but which you say is to be expected......

So, I think this may have solved the mystery. It would seem memory leakage was not the culprit.

Thank you for your help, and your patience with my lack of knowledge on these issues!

• 11. Re: Memory Leak - maxes out every 30 min

No problem! Glad to help.