3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 5:58 PM by dj_paige

Move images after editing?

medees1

My new laptop has a ssd drive and I'd like to take full advantage of that.  So, what I want to know is that if I first import images to the internal ssd drive of the laptop, and then edit them, what's the best way to get them to the external where my images are stored.  Just for clarity, I don't mean how do you copy and paste.  Once before I coped and pasted, and then synced the folder, but then upon re-import all edits were gone... yikes!  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Move images after editing?
          dj_paige Level 9

There really is no point to put photos on the SSD. Whatever miniscule time gains you might acheive when you edit photos are so small that you won't notice the difference, and will be outweighed by the time that it takes to move the photos after editing.

So you really ought to put the photos in their final destination straight out of the camera, rather than put them on the SSD and then move them later.

• 2. Re: Move images after editing?
            medees1 Level 1

I see.  Thanks.  I am curious if anybody has a different experience.  The reason I asked is that a review of the laptop online had great speed with huge files but as I work with the external it's not as sweet.  Same spec on the laptops.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Move images after editing?
              dj_paige Level 9

Almost all of the time spent in editing is driven by the CPU, not the disk. A faster CPU will speed up editing; and faster disk makes almost no difference.

Ian Lyons did a study of this. In one comparison, he found that the SSD improved your speed by 0.05 seconds per image.

Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom

So the review you read said that the laptop had great speed ... but there's a lot of different speeds involved. Speed of moving files, speed of doing calculations, speed of displaying things on your screen and so on. It's really meaningless to say "great speed with huge files" unless you know specifically what speeds are being referred to.