6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 11:14 PM by osgood_

Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)

Billy de Croissy

I want to know if it's a big work to modify my Website developed with Dreamweaver CS 5. Google ask me to update these website for mobile phone.

• 1. Re: Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)
          osgood_ Level 8

catherinec45494322 wrote:

I want to know if it's a big work to modify my Website developed with Dreamweaver CS 5.

Without looking at the website we don't know but most probably it will require a substantial amount of work. It's nearly always best to take mobile into consideration at the outset of a project not to try and reverse engine it afterwards.

catherinec45494322 wrote:

Google ask me to update these website for mobile phone.

Tell them to get lost. A website being mobile or not has nothing to do with Google. They should keep their unwelcome snorkel out of business that has nothing to do with them. Whilst I strongly agree that websites going forward should be mobile compatible - the timing has little to do with Google.

Do you really think that Google is going to penalise a website that is not mobile compatible if it contains valuable information in favour of a website that contains little valuable information but is mobile - I'm laughing here. It would kill Google mobile search overnight.

Google made some noises some time ago about they where going to penalise this and that - nothing happened. I still have non-mobile compatible websites listed much higher than those that are mobile compatible because the content is relevent to the search, and that is what Google is all about.

• 2. Re: Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you really think that Google is going to penalise a website that is not mobile compatible if it contains valuable information in favour of a website that contains little valuable information but is mobile - I'm laughing here. It would kill Google mobile search overnight.

If you perform a mobile web search from an actual mobile phone, you may see your desktop site listed in the results but it may not appear as high in rankings nor will it contain the mobile-friendly seal of approval which gives mobile users added incentive to tap that link.   I call that a penalty.  It may not be Earth shattering but it's still a penalty.  

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)
              osgood_ Level 8

Nancy O. wrote:

If you perform a mobile web search from an actual mobile phone, you may see your desktop site listed in the results but it may not appear as high in rankings nor will it contain the mobile-friendly seal of approval which gives mobile users added incentive to tap that link.   I call that a penalty.  It may not be Earth shattering but it's still a penalty. 

Nancy O.

Most appear higher than other mobile friendly competitors sites - for sure they won't have the 'mobile friendly' tag but as I said even a 'mobile friendy' tag is no guarantee the site contains any 'good' information.

Is mobile really a big issue anyway most people don't do any real web research on a stupid smartphone, most carry a 7inch tablet or bigger and they are just fine for viewing a 980 fixed pixel width site -  just turn the device horizonatlly.

Whilst I totally agree that IF you are constructing a site now it should be mobile friendly MOST fixed width px sites can easily be view on a tablet without any issues what-so-ever. Persoanlly I don't really give a monkies peanuts about smartphones.

Mobile is here but it's exaggerated in my opinion. Yes, it can make it slightly easier for end users and we developers sell it to our clients as though it's the best thing since sliced bread and we revel in our ability to produce such fantastic solutions because it makes us more money, the end user doesn't have to make that oh so difficult decision to swivel their tablet horizontally.

• 5. Re: Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Like it or not, mobile web searches have increased dramatically in recent years.  People carry their phones everywhere.  I admit the web experience on a phone isn't as nice as a tablet but sometimes people need to use their phones to find info on the web.  I do it myself quite often for things like travel directions, discount coupons & cost comparisons while I'm shopping.  

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Can I optimize for mobile  my old website made with Dreamweaver CS5 ?. If the answer yes, is it a big work to do or not (sorry for my english I am french)
                  osgood_ Level 8

Nancy O. wrote:

Like it or not, mobile web searches have increased dramatically in recent years.  People carry their phones everywhere.  I admit the web experience on a phone isn't as nice as a tablet but sometimes people need to use their phones to find info on the web.  I do it myself quite often for things like travel directions, discount coupons & cost comparisons while I'm shopping. 

Nancy O.

Exactly, as I stated small snippets of information, not real research. Yes I use it to get the football results and look up an address of a hotel in an area I'm not familar with. I'm not going to research some indepth information on a smartphone.

Surveys can easily be distorted - what are these people doing on their smartphone, playing games, facebooking, tweeting, yes serious stuff indeed.