6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 1:25 PM by charlie@carehart.org

History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?

RLS Level 1

I am faced with doing a huge migration, so I am going through history to make sure I capture every change and review it prior to this push.

Is there any way to export a list of the History, preferably to a spreadsheet, to make this task easier?

RLS

• 1. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?
          RLS Level 1

I thought that selecting History, copying, and pasting would be the answer, and that worked well, but it does not grab the affected programs (path+name) so I'm still looking for the correct answer.

• 2. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?
            Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RLS, I don't know if you'l be able to get what you want from that Local history feature in CF Builder/Eclipse. More on that in a moment.

But really, I think you're expecting too much from it. What you'd be better served by would be a version control system (Git, Subversion, CVS, etc.), though I do appreciate that such would only help you going forward. They would not help you capture the history before they were implemented.

As for the Local History feature, do beware of a potential concern, even if somehow you CAN get a listing of all the edits that it tracked: beware that there is a max file size setting, which limits what files are tracked at all with the Local history feature. See Preferences>General>Workspace>Local History

• 3. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?
              RLS Level 1

Charlie, thank you, we are moving to a GIT system, but we need to make this final migration first.  We are using a subversion system, though, already, and that's the history I'm trying to get.  I can grab everything from 1/1/2016 on just fine, but I can't get the actual files involved, with paths, that would make this so much easier.

RLS

• 4. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?

Well, wait, then: if you’re not using the Local History feature, but Subversion instead, then why not seek what you want from Subversion itself (any UI or command-line interface you have to it)?

This may just be a case where the version control integration built into CFB/Eclipse is just not as capable as it could be, for this rather unique need you have. Have you yet tried to get it from SVN directly?

/charlie

• 5. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?
                  RLS Level 1

Charlie,

Good call! Please excuse me while I wipe this egg off of my face.

I was able to capture the log, save it to text, import it to Excel, and clean the crap in much faster time. This should help immensely.

Thank you.

RLS

• 6. Re: History Report (spreadsheet) Possible?

Sweet (that you resolved things). Glad to have helped.

/charlie