3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 7:12 PM by Mohit Goyal

Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection

JanYB

I am using Lightroom 5 on both a desktop and a laptop.  I have my Lightroom Catalog and all my photos on an external hard drive.  I have not had any trouble seeing all my Folders on both computers.  Recently I created a Collection on my desktop.  The next day when I connected the external hard drive to my laptop, the collection was not there, nor were the edits I had made in that collection.  I took the hard drive back to my desktop, and the Collection does show up on the desktop.  Shouldn't the entire Lightroom catalog including all the folders AND all the Collections be the same on both computers?  What could I have done incorrectly?

• 1. Re: Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi janyb,

As you kept all the images on the external hard drive you also need to copy the Lightroom catalog on it as well, so you will use Or Open the same catalog on your desktop and laptop from the external hard drive and everything will be identical on both systems.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection
            JanYB Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I am still having the problem.  I deleted an old Catalog I had on the laptop, as it seemed to try to open an old catalog instead of the one on the hard drive.  But still, even when I am sure I have chosen the Catalog from the hard drive, the Catalog does not look the same on the laptop as it does on the desktop.  I am going to try some different things, but so far still have the problem.  I really don't understand how I can connect the external drive to my laptop, choose the Lightroom Catalog from the external hard drive, but still have a slightly different catalog.  The external hard drive has the both the photos and the Catalog.  Could it be a Permissions problem?  I wonder if it would help to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom on the laptop.  Thanks.

[personal email removed by moderator]

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:04 PM

Subject:  Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection

Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection

created by Mohit Goyal in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionHi janyb, As you kept all the images on the external hard drive you also need to copy the Lightroom catalog on it as well, so you will use Or Open the same catalog on your desktop and laptop from the external hard drive and everything will be identical on both systems. Let us know if that helps.Regards,Mohit If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8504320#8504320 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8504320#8504320 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Using LR5 on both a desktop and laptop, and creating a Collection
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Create a folder on your external drive and copy the catalog from the desktop machine which you want to see on your laptop as well, once done disconnect the external driver from desktop and connect it to the laptop.

Go to the folder created and open the catalog which copied there from the desktop.

Now, whenever you want to work on Lightroom either on your Desktop Or Laptop you need to have that hard drive connected to that machine, so you can open the same catalog either on your machine.

Thanks,

Mohit