6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 12:09 PM by Szalam

Render to ProRes freezes

christianb48706474

Hey guys,

i got an pretty annoying problem in After Effects.

Every time i try to render a composition to prores, after effects freezes immediately at the beginning of the rendering process. (http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160217/wqokxoc2.jpg)

This occurs AE2014 as well as in AE2015 on macos yosemite (10.10.5)

Exports to Animation, H264, DNxHD etc. are no problem at all so i have to assume there is something broken with prores on our system.

I tried various things on my own of course but couldn`t get to the bottom of this until now, so i guess thats why i am here.

Here is what i did so far:

- deleted/moved all quick time components in /Library/QuickTime temporarily

- disabled multi frame rendering in After Effects

- disabled audio in the export window

- purged disk/database caches in After Effects

QuickTime Player 10 and 7 are installed on the system too.

Do you have any idea how i can solve this problem?

Thank you

Dennis

• 1. Re: Render to ProRes freezes
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

christianb48706474 wrote:

QuickTime Player 10 and 7 are installed on the system too.

Wait...both? I wonder if that's part of the problem.

Try rendering to an image sequence then bring that image sequence into Premiere and see if you can put it out of Premiere at ProRes.

• 2. Re: Render to ProRes freezes
            christianb48706474 Level 1

I'll uninstall QT7 later and will keep you updated how that turned out.

As far as premiere is concerned, our editor tried what you suggested but even in premiere the prores export fails with a few frames being rendered and then

Premiere freezes.

update: Uninstalling QT7 doesn`t change anything. AE/Pr still freezing when export render to any ProRes Profile.

• 3. Re: Render to ProRes freezes
              bogiesan Level 4

Doesn't really matter how many QT players you have, they're just players. You can also have Flip, VLC, WFM, and a dozen others. The codecs are not necessarily part of the players' installer payloads but you don't need QTv7. There's something likely to be broken in the ProRes codecs. I gotta say, though, that's highly unlikely. They're just codecs, pretty benign. But if the code for the OS resource is damaged at all, the app trying use it won't succeed. 

Windows or MacOS? There was a recent update to the Pro video resources so you can check the App Store for updates. Latest is 2.0.4 and included changes to the ProRes family. You can force that update to reload by going into your Library/receipts folder and deleting the item for this update.

I don't know anything about PCs, sorry.

Your uploaded image appears on my browser as a period in tiny black box.

• 4. Re: Render to ProRes freezes

If Premiere freezes when trying to encode into ProRes, than you've likely got a bigger issue on your hands than just an AE problem. Something has gone awry with your system. Have any third-party codec packs every been installed on that machine? Has any external previewing hardware been installed like Blackmagic, Kona, Matrox, AJA?

• 5. Re: Render to ProRes freezes
                  christianb48706474 Level 1

Got the solution.

I cleared the entire Library/Quicktime folder of its component files to force the ProRes 2.0.4 update to reappear (also the codecs were already on 2.0.4 before)

After i had installed the ProRes 2.0.4 update once again, i repaired the permissions and voila, ProRes export works again.

Seems one of the previous components was broken or anything.

Thank you fgor your help guys. 

• 6. Re: Render to ProRes freezes

Thanks for sharing your solution with us!