7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 5:33 AM by wcn_dave

Workflow question for standard home use.

wcn_dave Level 1

I have about 10,000 photos in date based folders, which are on a shared NAS.

The date based folders is important, because we mostly look at photos on a TV, or a device that won't have LR installed, and would need folder browsing.

My workflow is:

1. Dump all pictures in a "to process" bin

2. Use Irfan to batch rename based on date / time taken

3. Go through manually discarding rubbish

4. Open each photo in PS to crop and enhance / adjust

5. Move each picture to the correct date (YYYY/MM) folder on shared drive

Now I really need a better way, as I just don't get through them properly and I'd like to focus more on enhancing and creativity than mgmt and organisation.

I like the look of LR, because I already have Adobe PS and PR, and it seems to have nice "develop" tools.

I also like the idea of not modifying the original, and being able to remove pictures I don't want without actually deleting them.

Finally, being able to use spare moments to enhance on tablet / mobile would be great, as then I'll actually do it.

However the end result should be an output of all photos, with enhancements, in a date based folder structure.

Then if I make a further change, it should overwrite that file.

I can't seem to find a workflow that supports what seems this fairly common case, of wanting your "output library" of pictures to reflect changes you make.

The biggest problem just seems to be that the export will not put into sub folders, be great if the export location / file naming allowed you to use those insertable data field as part of the folder structure, that might be enough to actually do it.  There are other difficulties, however that's the main one.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
          The biggest problem just seems to be that the export will not put into sub folders, be great if the export location / file naming allowed you to use those insertable data field as part of the folder structure, that might be enough to actually do it.

You can export to any folder you like, and also export to a subfolder that you create on export.

Overwrite existing files is also available as an option.

You can rename files, and create presets for different kinds of exports.

I suggest that you download a trial, and see how it works out for you.

export-general.png

• 2. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The problem with LR for your workflow is that LR never edits the original file. It can crop, straighten and edit certain other aspects but all those adjustments get saved to either the catalog file or to a XMP sidecar file or in the case of some image formats to the file itself in a special place that does not change the original image. So if you view that same file on a TV or another computer not using LR it won't have the edits you made, it will be the original image. That is unless you Export it from LR. The Exporting process bakes in the edits you have done. But usually that export is to a New image file either with a different file extension or using a Unique name, Adding a number to the end of the file name. LR doesn't overwrite the original even though there is a button on the file conflict dialog box. On my systems that Overwrite button is grayed out so I couldn't select it even if I wanted to

As for the Mobile aspect it isn't all that good, IMHO. To share images to a mobile device, iOS or Android device, you have to included the image in a collection that is shared with LR Mobile. Not sure if anyone is sharing their complete catalog with 1-10-100 thousands of images. Note also that every image shared between LR desktop and LR Mobile is uploaded to the Adobe website and can be viewed in a web browser.

Yes on Export you can place the exported image in any drive and folder your Username has access to. Whether a drive connected directly to your computer or any drive connected to your network.

In the Export dialog window you can select "Specific Folder" in the Export To: area and then the Choose button to browse all drives you have access to.

You could also choose "Choose Folder Later" that I think would bring up the standard operating system file manager window to browse all drives after the Export has been created (Not sure I've never used that option).

In all honesty I'm not sure LR is the best choice for what you want and need it to do. I think it would create more work for you.

If you have to export every image you take so the ones you have made changes to will display properly on other devices that means you will end up with 2 copies of every image, or one copy if you then delete the original. Which is something you might not want to do.

• 3. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
              wcn_dave Level 1

Thanks,

Can I:

Write out to sub folders based on date, so images will go to:

YYYY\MM\picture.jpg

Have an export that only exports modified files? (exporting all 10,000 when I have changed one photo seems a bit of a problem)

I do have a trial version, and my questions come as a result of trying it out.

Thanks

Dave

• 4. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Write out to sub folders based on date, so images will go to: YYYY\MM\picture.jpg

You have to create and name the subfolders manually, either using the computer's OS, or in the export dialog.

For all I know, there could be a third party plugin that will do something like this - you would have to search for it on Google. I don't use any plugins, so I don't know.

Have an export that only exports modified files?

It's possible to create Smart collections that will only include edited files, but this will also include files that you haven't edited after import that have had a Develop preset applied on import.

I think the easiest thing would be to use ratings, colors or metadata to mark each image after editing, and filter images based on rating, color, etc, and then export.

• 5. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
                  wcn_dave Level 1

The problem with LR for your workflow is that LR never edits the original file. It can crop, straighten and edit certain other aspects but all those adjustments get saved to either the catalog file or to a XMP sidecar file or in the case of some image formats to the file itself in a special place that does not change the original image. So if you view that same file on a TV or another computer not using LR it won't have the edits you made, it will be the original image. That is unless you Export it from LR. The Exporting process bakes in the edits you have done. But usually that export is to a New image file either with a different file extension or using a Unique name, Adding a number to the end of the file name. LR doesn't overwrite the original even though there is a button on the file conflict dialog box. On my systems that Overwrite button is grayed out so I couldn't select it even if I wanted to

The fact it doesn't overwrite the original is one thing I like.  I can try out different things, but still use the original.  Also imagine I'd gone all "Instagram" and then regretted it a short while later.

What I'd really find useful is that I have one folder with ORIGINAL images, then a matching file structure in PROCESSED images, and use LR to do the processing.  That would be a really great tool I could imagine lots of people liking.  If the folder structure matches, and images were processed to the output folder either on the fly, or on demand.

As for the Mobile aspect it isn't all that good, IMHO. To share images to a mobile device, iOS or Android device, you have to included the image in a collection that is shared with LR Mobile. Not sure if anyone is sharing their complete catalog with 1-10-100 thousands of images. Note also that every image shared between LR desktop and LR Mobile is uploaded to the Adobe website and can be viewed in a web browser.

I have been using this and found it great.  Not for sharing though.  Normally I open photos in PS, do auto levels, auto contrast, then crop and save.  However I rarely find time.  I would just put pictures in a "to be processed" collection, then if I had time on my mobile, or tablet, I pretty much do keep / discard, and auto tone + a little vibrance.  Just doing that makes a huge difference if those photos were then processed to the OUT target.

Yes on Export you can place the exported image in any drive and folder your Username has access to. Whether a drive connected directly to your computer or any drive connected to your network.

In the Export dialog window you can select "Specific Folder" in the Export To: area and then the Choose button to browse all drives you have access to.

You could also choose "Choose Folder Later" that I think would bring up the standard operating system file manager window to browse all drives after the Export has been created (Not sure I've never used that option).

What I mean, is I want to export my files to:

2009\01\pic1.jpg

2009\01\pic2.jpg

2009\02\pic3.jpg

etc.

so If in the file name I could put \ in there to define folders within the dynamic naming process, that would work perfectly, however I can't see that one can do that. The files all go to the same folder.

In all honesty I'm not sure LR is the best choice for what you want and need it to do. I think it would create more work for you.

If you have to export every image you take so the ones you have made changes to will display properly on other devices that means you will end up with 2 copies of every image, or one copy if you then delete the original. Which is something you might not want to do.

The non-destructive changes, mobile apps that sync only text files, history and develop tools, keywords, collections and searching are all things I do want. Plus a copy of original files.

The only thing really missing is the ability to have a post processed library that matches my pre-processed library.

Right now, as the software (seems from what I can see) stands, you can have all your photos somewhere, and play around to your hearts content, and there's no way to view what you've done without doing a single flat folder export of ALL photos.

• 6. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
                    dj_paige Level 9

Can I:

Write out to sub folders based on date, so images will go to:

YYYY\MM\picture.jpg

Have an export that only exports modified files? (exporting all 10,000 when I have changed one photo seems a bit of a problem)

Jeffrey Friedl makes a plug-in that does this.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Folder Publisher” Lightroom Plugin

• 7. Re: Workflow question for standard home use.
                      wcn_dave Level 1

Fantastic, that is EXACTLY what I need.

It does seem a little odd that "folder publisher" does not exist within the application, yet I can use facebook and flick publishing.. anyway - that's 100% what I need, and I am off to make a paypal donation to Jeffrey now!

Thanks!

Dave