11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 11:22 AM by Just Shoot Me

can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files

philipm72544331

have LR6 standalone  but want to try LRCC as trial but keep everything separate on mac is this possible

• 1. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi philipm,

Lightroom 6 and CC are basically similar Apps but use difference Activation methods.

You can have both installed on your computer but cannot have different catalogs for  each.

So you can install Lightroom CC and try it with your current Lightroom 6 catalog.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way to do it is to create a second Adobe account for LR CC.

• 3. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

philipm72544331 wrote:

have LR6 standalone  but want to try LRCC as trial but keep everything separate on mac is this possible

Not really possible on the same computer.

LR 6 and the CC version are Not Similar apps. They are the Exact Same App with the differences coming in by the way you Sign In to LR.

Sign In with an Adobe ID that does not have a subscription plan and it becomes the 6 version. Sign In with an Adobe ID that IS associated with a subscription plan and it becomes the CC version.

To my knowledge you can have 2 separate installs of the same program on the same computer and have 2 separate Adobe IDs accessing those 2 separate installs. With each install certain files are created in the exact same locations and certain entries are created in either the Windows registry or OS X Plist files in the exact some location. One would cancel out, overwrite, the other.

In the end the 6 version and the CC version are exactly the same. What is missing from the 6 version that is included in the CC version are some updated features. Two of them being the Dehaze feature (which can be added with a hack to the 6 version) and the use of LR mobile for longer that a 30 day trial. There may be other added features but nothing that ground breaking or earth rattling to worry about, IMHO.

• 4. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or after converting your existing installation to CC you can re-serialize to get back to LR6 - see Workaround at link below.

If you decide to start a subscription and want to use LR6 also for different catalogs you will need two accounts.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom -6.html

• 5. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                  M's photosite

Hello,  I have LR 7.3 standalone on my laptop.  I am buying a camera that comes with a freebie download of LR (5, I think) and am wondering if I can download that onto an external hard drive where I would keep older catalogs.  I have set up catalogs by year.  My laptop memory is filling up and two LR versions on it would be too much and not really make sense to me.  But a separate LR download/account on an external hard drive might make sense.

I hate to waste the extra that is coming with my camera.

Your advice is very much needed and will be appreciated.  Miriam

• 6. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                    M's photosite Level 1

Please see my reply to Just Shoot Me which I meant to send to you.  Help is needed.  Thanks.

• 7. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files

What camera are you buying that comes with a license to LR? More than likely if this is a newer camera it will come with a license for the most current version which is LR 6.8/CC 2015.8g, the DOT 8 update was just release today (there is no LR 7, yet).

If it is not a new camera there is no need to install LR 5 if you already have LR 6/CC

Can you run both LR 6/CC and LR 5 on the same computer, Yes you can. I do. But in my case I already had LR 5 installed when I installed LR CC. Both still work fine.

I'm not sure what would happen if you installed LR 5 after you already had LR 6/CC installed.

• 8. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                        M's photosite Level 1

I am buying a Leica Vlux114.  I am not sure what version of LR is coming with that.  I am still waiting for my camera to arrive.

I stand corrected -- I currently have LR 6.7 as a standalone, not LR CC. 

So back to my question -- please understand that I am not an IT expert in the least -- would it make any sense, and if it is doable, to download the LR coming with the Leica onto an external hard drive and use that for previous years photos (moving them from my laptop) and then using my laptop LR just for current and new work.  I am running out of memory on my laptop and wonder if that could be a solution to that issue.  Many thanks for your reponse.  M.

• 9. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

M's photosite wrote:

Hello, I have LR 7.3 standalone on my laptop. I am buying a camera that comes with a freebie download of LR (5, I think) and am wondering if I can download that onto an external hard drive where I would keep older catalogs. I have set up catalogs by year. My laptop memory is filling up and two LR versions on it would be too much and not really make sense to me. But a separate LR download/account on an external hard drive might make sense.

I hate to waste the extra that is coming with my camera.

Your advice is very much needed and will be appreciated. Miriam

First of all,  you cannot have Lightroom 7.3 installed because it doesn't exist yet. The latest version is the Lightroom 6.7. There's really no need to install an older version because the version that you have will do everything the older version would do and more. If you really want to, you can have a separate catalog and that could be installed on an external hard drive along with the images from the new camera.  That way you can keep them separate. But I don't really see a need for that, at least for me personally. The "extra" that is coming with your camera,  if it really is Lightroom 5, isn't really something  that you would want to install. You already have a version installed that will do more. To install it just to avoid the extra that is coming with the camera really doesn't accomplish anything.

• 10. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files
                            M's photosite Level 1

I stand corrected.  As of a few minutes ago, I have LR 6.8.  Just downloaded the update.  Thanks for the other info. that is helpful.

• 11. Re: can you have LR6 standalone and LRCC as two separate APPs on a mac. ie two catalogs and image files

M's photosite wrote:

I am buying a Leica Vlux114. I am not sure what version of LR is coming with that. I am still waiting for my camera to arrive.

I stand corrected -- I currently have LR 6.7 as a standalone, not LR CC.

So back to my question -- please understand that I am not an IT expert in the least -- would it make any sense, and if it is doable, to download the LR coming with the Leica onto an external hard drive and use that for previous years photos (moving them from my laptop) and then using my laptop LR just for current and new work. I am running out of memory on my laptop and wonder if that could be a solution to that issue. Many thanks for your reponse. M.

No, No and No.

The proper use of LR is to have one (1) catalog with all your images in it. If you need to separate out or isolate images you use Keywords, collections or just the filter bar system.

You can move images to your external drive and still have them in your ONE LR catalog file. Images can be stored on any drive connected to your computer, internal or external, or even a Local Area Network drive, a storage server connected to your home or office network.

Yes moving images from the internal drive to an external drive will solve the storage space problem you are having. But take note that those images you move to the external will show as missing unless that external drive is connected to your computer.

To do the move I suggest you use the File Manager for your OS to do the move, actually Copy them over to the external, then in LR use the Update Folder Location option to point LR to the location you moved/copied them to.

Copy the complete folder over as it is on your internal drive.

Updating the Folder Location in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog