6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 7:13 AM by Dative

box resize fixed margins

Dative

Is there a way to resize an box with an image in but have a fixed dimension coloured margin around the outside?

I'm working with different paintings and I need to change the shape of the interior box regularly but keep a fixed margin around the outside (see image)

I know I can just resize each box individually but it would be far quicker if I could just alter the shape of one box and the other would change with it.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.35.28.png

I understand I can just resize it with the corner anchors but the ratio of the border would alter.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.28.27.png

Any solution? I'm not holding out much hope.

• 1. Re: box resize fixed margins
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the colored boarder were a stroke on the image frame, you could set up an object style, and apply it to all of your image boxes.

Screenshot 2016-02-17 08.32.42.png Screenshot 2016-02-17 08.33.11.png

• 2. Re: box resize fixed margins
            Dative Level 1

I did consider that but I want it offset like in the image I posted. I was wondering if there was a way to offset the stroke of a box or to control the stroke weight on certain edges, as far as I'm aware there isn't

• 3. Re: box resize fixed margins
              Luke Jennings Level 4

This might work for you: add a 3 point line on top of your frame, using the same stroke width as the box, with the stroke set to white, group the two shapes.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.17.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.18.49 AM.png

• 4. Re: box resize fixed margins
                Dative Level 1

While that does work, it comes with its own set of problems, firstly to add an image I'd have to double click on each image and place it using cmd+d rather than just dragging images in which would slow me down quite dramatically. Secondly it doesn't allow you to fit content proportionally, you'd have to add the image and then resize the window to fit the entirety of the image rather than the window and frame resizing themselves when I use cmd+alt+shift+c.

• 5. Re: box resize fixed margins
                  Luke Jennings Level 4

OK, here's another way: copy and paste in place your frame, delete the image, change the fill to none and the stroke to white, with the white arrow tool, select the lower left anchor and delete it.

• 6. Re: box resize fixed margins
                    Dative Level 1

Yeah still not quite what I'm after, I'd also ideally like to be able to control the width of each border independently so a stroke isn't the ideal method. Basically, in text frame options there's a section called inset spacing, surely somewhere within the realms of indesign there is an option to create 'outset spacing' on an image box which you can also colour? It really doesn't seem like a particularly complex task, perhaps I'm asking too much.