10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 10:43 PM by MikeOverbeck

making shortcut for velocity influence

Gutter-Fish Level 4

Is there way to speed-up the process of changing the velocity influence of keyframes?  Like a shortcut or hotkey?

I've found I like a 70% influence on most of my ease-ins rather than the default 33%, but the seconds it takes to set my preference are starting to add up.

Thanks, Paul

• 1. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know of a way to change AE's default Ease settings (though you'd think there would be an adjustable preference for that).

The shortcut to Set velocity for selected keyframes is Ctrl+Shift+K or Command+Shift+K on Mac.

• 2. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks Szalam...maybe I'll search for a script or something. 

• 3. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
              adamneer Level 2

II've never heard of a way to alter the default ease values (even though I think plenty of us would LOVE to overwrite the generic easy ease value) but I've been able to alleviate some of the time-wastiness of curve editing with a script called "copy paste ease" or something like that. I believe it's free (like most of the best scripts) and allows you to highlight a set of keyframes (or 3 or 4...) and copy just the speed curves to memory. Then you can paste them to any other keyframes you want no matter what the parameter is (great for matching transformational speed curves to effects or shape path morphs). The scriptUI window is nice and compact so you can stick it wherever you want for quick access.

• 4. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks adamneer I'll look for that.

I guess i could try an animation preset huh?

I haven't really started utilizing those yet so maybe it's time.

• 5. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                  adamneer Level 2

Yes, if you don't utilize animation presets whenever possible, you are wasting all sorts of time.  Only reason I didn't suggest that first is that unless you use an expression, the animation presets can only save a fixed, parameter specific value for keyframes, so you couldn't just save the speed reference to universally apply to any keyframe.  And there are plenty of presets that rely on expressions for speed curves, (like the super generic looking Ease and Wizz) but I highly recommend against them because they slow down your comp immensely and make editing certain parameters like shape paths very difficult.  I like using expressions for dynamic functions, like keeping certain parameters in sync with others, or for highly computational things that would be nearly impossible to keyframe manually.  But it takes no time at all to set your speed curves in graph editor for a set of keyframes, and then you can just copy/paste those same curves to whatever else you want throughout the project.  Its among my absolute favorite scripts, along with Rift, Orient World, Turbo Layers, Explode Shape Layers, and AE Global Renamer.  By the way, the official name is "Ease Copy".

• 6. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adamneer wrote:

I believe it's free

Ease Copy is not free. It is "pay what you want". Somebody still put some good work into it and, if you find their product useful, you should pay them something.

Thanks for the suggestion, by the way. It looks like a really handy tool.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

I actually started using a script called Keyframe Velocity Changer awhile back.  It basically lets you save speed & influence in/out presets and works on multiple keyframes across multiple layers regardless of their current settings.  It's only drawback is that the UI is not dockable and there's a bug that doesn't let you set values at exactly (50% 49.9 & 50.1 are ok).

Anyway it saves me a ton of time and it's also pay-what-you-want.

• 8. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                        MikeOverbeck Level 1

Thanks Szalam!

EaseCopy is Name your own price. It's made of about 700 lines of code and was a considerable effort. I believe that students and people getting started in the industry should feel welcome to use it at no cost. If you are using it for paid work, and find that it has saved you at least $15 worth of your time, I urge you to go to aescripts.com and repurchase it for real cash moneys. I get notifications for every download, so I'll KNOW!

But for real, I get some satisfaction from both the paid and unpaid downloads.

If you post a video of a project relying on any third party tools, paid or unpaid, it's extra appreciated to let the tool authors know. It helps us get the word out about our tools, and mutually gets the word out about your work.

• 9. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I haven't used the tool but I have heard about it and I would like to thank you Mike for making this feature possible. you also reminded me to let the authors know I used tools for work and maybe put it out there.

• 10. Re: making shortcut for velocity influence
                            MikeOverbeck Level 1

Thanks!

I'll also stress that there's no ill will to those who don't pay or those who don't credit us for using our tools. Some projects use too many tools to name, and the artists take first billing. But the extra mention helps us know that our tools are useful and inspires us to make more.