8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 6:07 AM by Ann Bens

PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

PE 14.1 on a WIN7 PC

Often one creates fairly short videos (its said that any video longer than 10 minutes bores the audience!) and hence it would be useful to be able to put more than one such video onto a single DVD or Blu-Ray disc.

Assuming the properties are identical (i.e. the same camcorder was used) is there a way to append Project B at the end of Project A? (with a few seconds of Black Video inbetween)

Then one could set Markers to the beginning of each "sub-project" and thus create a DVD with several such videos.

• 1. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only way to do this in Premiere Elements is to place the two movies, one after another, on the timeline and then add a Stop Marker at the end of the first movie. You'd then add a Main Menu marker to the beginning of the second movie.

A Stop Marker returns the viewer to the Main Menu page of the disc. Since you added a Main Menu Marker to the beginning of the second movie, a link to the second movie will appear on your main menu.

In Premiere Elements, this means you can only do this with two movies: Your main movie and a second movie. To add links to several movies, returning the viewer to the menu after each, you'll have to use a third-party disc authoring program.

• 2. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

The only way to do this in Premiere Elements is to place the two movies, one after another, on the timeline

So how do I do just that?  Suppose I have PE14.1 open with Project A in the timetline & the CLI at the end of that.

How do I append Project B to the timeline now?

• 3. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just add the second right after the first. Maybe put a little black video between them. Then add a Stop Marker to the end of the first movie and a Main Menu Marker to the beginning of the second.

For what it's worth, I demonstrate how to do this step by step in my Premiere Elements course at lynda.com.

• 4. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Ok - So I have Project A opened in PE 14.1 Editor & have added 5 seconds black video.  TLC is at the end of the black video.

I'm looking for the command to add the second project to the Timeline.  Is there something hidden like "add ProjectB.prel" to timeline?

This is where I'm stuck at the moment.

I presume your course is "for fee" (understandable when one puts in a lot of work) rather than freely available?

• 5. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
                  whsprague Level 4

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

Ok - So I have Project A opened in PE 14.1 Editor & have added 5 seconds black video.  TLC is at the end of the black video.

I'm looking for the command to add the second project to the Timeline.  Is there something hidden like "add ProjectB.prel" to timeline?

This is where I'm stuck at the moment.

I presume your course is "for fee" (understandable when one puts in a lot of work) rather than freely available?

There is no way to combine projects in Premier Elements.  You can't insert project B into project A.  There is a "work around".   From Project B, you publish, share, create a finished video of matching specifications.  Then in Project A, you add it as a media file.   You might consider setting up a "Compilation" project to combine finished videos from Project A, Project B, Project C, etc. 

In theory there will be some minor loss of quality due to the transcoding or rendering process.  If you choose the right output settings it will be unnoticeable when viewed on a TV.

Steve does have a free course.  It is pretty good.  He also contracts with Lynda.com to provide extraordinarily great and thorough courses on the last few versions of Premier Elements.  You can watch samples for free, get a 10 day trial and get access through some libraries and many corporations.   You can also buy access to a month at a time for $25.   The bonus is that access is to all of a few thousand Lynda.com courses.   I'm currently enthralled with learning Photoshop CC and have a dozen or so classes on my to-do list.

• 6. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I meant CTI (Current Timeline Indicator) rather than TLC!

• 7. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
                      HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

In theory there will be some minor loss of quality due to the transcoding or rendering process.  If you choose the right output settings it will be unnoticeable when viewed on a TV.

At ATR's suggestion I had tried that previously when creating a DVD with several short videos & that seemed to be OK but of course Blu-Ray is higher resolution.

Maybe its worth submitting an RFE to the developers as it must be a pretty straight-forward operation, at least if the video properties are the same.

Forking out something like $39.95 for an additional Blu-Ray authoring tool such as Leavo Blu-Ray Creator (which seems to be straight-forward to use) runs a bot against the grain when one has paid for Adbobe PE!

• 8. Re: PE14 "HowTo": Concatenate Projects?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do it differently.

For dvd I would export my project(s) to avi with the Lagarith codec (which is a lossless codec)

Put those avi's in a new project and export to dvd.

For HD project export to H.264 with high bitrate (trial and error) or H.264 bluray.

Put the files in a new project and burn to Bluray.