17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 2:14 PM by bend17177429

Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

bend17177429 Level 1

I really find LR frustrating sometimes. I have a folder that has 2,000+ RAW files in it. In LR there's a 0 next to the folder name, and no images that I can edit.

When I choose Synchronize for the folder, I see all 2190 images appear in the Import new photos checkbox. I keep that checkbox selected, and choose Synchronize. LR's progress bar chugs along for a minute or so, but bafflingly a "No photos or videos were found to import" message appears. And "No photos in Current Import" appears onscreen.

WTF.

Why would LR recognize these new files and then refuse to import them?

This program has a ways to go in terms of being intuitive, IMO.

Thanks for any suggestions on how I can get LR to wake the **** up and import these files.

• 1. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Did you move those images from one drive to another?

Are these images on an external drive? If on an external drive did you disconnect it at some point and then reconnect it?

What type of system are you using, Windows or Mac? What version of the OS are you running (Be Specific).

• 2. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

99.999% of the time when something like this happens those images are already in the LR catalog.

• 3. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
              bend17177429 Level 1

Yes I thought that...that LR already has them in its catalog. But the folder lists 0 images and there's nothing in the folder to edit, as far as LR is concerned. So how can i get LR to properly recognize the images?

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I did move the images, all of my images, from one drive to another. I then synchronized LR so that it would find these images on my new drive.

2. Internal RAID 5. LR does such a horrible horrible job dealing with external drives that I've made my storage internal only. External drives are now just used for backup and aren't connected.

3. Windows 10

• 4. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

Another question.

Did you move these images from Inside LR or did you move then using the File Manager for your operating system?

1) If you moved them using a File Manager then LR has lost contact with them. The Synchronize feature won't, AFAIK, Re-Link those files. You have to use the Find Missing files or Locate missing files or folder.

The folder that has 0 images is because LR lost contact with them since you moved them outside of LR. That folder that is listed in the Folders area of Library module is a Hard Link, Not Dynamic. It only knows to look in that folder and since you moved the files there are Zero images in that folder.

Right click on the folder and select "Update Folder Location" from the Pop Up menu. Then Browse to the new location.

• 5. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                  bend17177429 Level 1

Good tip. I just did that but LR is directed to the correct folder, so there is nothing to update.

I got so irritated with trying to get it to work (and with the fact that Adobe CC kept giving me an error when attempting to update) that I did a full un/re-install of CC, Bridge, LR, and PS.

That hasn't helped though.

I just removed the folder from LR and am going to try readding it via synchronizing the parent folder ("My Photography") that all the subfolders (including this one) are in.

Also, I note that when I click the Show Import Dialog before Importing checkbox, that import dialog doesn't appear. Well, it sort of appears in the sense that when I select LR, it flashes on the screen very very quickly. But I cannot open it and Alt+Tab doesn't show it as its own window.

Is this yet another bug?

• 6. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

Is that correct folder on the Correct Drive? Each drive will get a different Drive letter, or in the case of Mac a Drive Name. Forget LR Directing you, You Direct LR to the correct Drive and to the Correct folder.

• 7. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                      bend17177429 Level 1

Yes it's the correct folder. The Windows folder name and drive letter match up.

Do you have any idea why the Import Dialog windows only appears for a split second and isn't accessible?

• 8. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                        Susan S. Level 1

I've had issues with files not being imported when I've had a file named with a character that Lightroom doesn't like.  Photoshop would open files with a / in the name, but not Lightroom - I had to replace all the / and (I think) hyphens with underscores.

• 9. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                          bend17177429 Level 1

These images are Sony RAW files from an A7Rii and begin with "DSC"

I have several other folders with Sony RAW files that LR has recognized properly and imported.

• 10. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

Start a new test catalog and see if they can be imported. Go to File>New Catalog. Place it in a folder of your choosing and give it a descriptive name. Then try importing those images.

Also what exact version of LR are you using.

Please post a screen shot of the Library module showing the expanded left panel that has the Folders area in it.

• 11. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                              bend17177429 Level 1

good idea re: screenshot. You can see that there are 2195 items in this folder and that LR is only recognizing the 4 phone screenshots that I put in there yesterday. The actual photos from the shoot are not being recognized by LR, and when I try to import them, LR seems to consider them already there. "So why aren't they showing up and able to be worked with, and how can I fix this?", is the issue.

LR catalog error.JPG

• 12. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                                dj_paige Level 9

bend17177429 wrote:

Yes I thought that...that LR already has them in its catalog. But the folder lists 0 images and there's nothing in the folder to edit, as far as LR is concerned. So how can i get LR to properly recognize the images?

It lists 0 in that folder, because you accidentally imported the photos into a different folder. Your photos are already in Lightroom. There is no need to import them again. You need to find the photos in Lightroom and then you can either move them to where you want them to be and/or edit/distribute them as needed.

• 13. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                                  dj_paige Level 9

bend17177429 wrote:

good idea re: screenshot. You can see that there are 2195 items in this folder and that LR is only recognizing the 4 phone screenshots that I put in there yesterday. The actual photos from the shoot are not being recognized by LR, and when I try to import them, LR seems to consider them already there. "So why aren't they showing up and able to be worked with, and how can I fix this?", is the issue.

Lightroom is not a file browser! It does not "recognize" photos in a specific folder. It knows only about photos that have already been imported, and it only knows the location of those photos that is specified in the Lightroom database.

Your problem is that the photos have been accidentally imported into a different folder, most likely becaue you accidentally chose the COPY option at import. You must find the photos in Lightroom and then you will be able to move them if you want and work with them.

• 14. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

Search that storage drive D: for one of the file names from that folder and see if it turns up twice. I suspect you have already imported them from a different folder.

Also just for a test uncheck the option to not import duplicates and see if they show up in the import window. If they do they are already in the catalog and in a different folder.

• 15. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                                      bend17177429 Level 1

I didn't do anything accidentally, but thanks for the helpful answer. What happened is that I had all my images on a RAID 5 array which died (2 of the 4 drives died) so that drive location (H:) no longer exists.

I had hoped that synchronizing my entire D:/My Photography folder would result in LR correctly locating and adding those images but it did not.

Is there an easy way to completely dissassociate all connections with the no-longer existent H: drive and have LR only look to D:/My Photography for images? I have far too many shoots to want to go in and manually update each subfolder.

I could choose to remove that entire H: folder though I don't know if that is the optimal choice for what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks.

• 16. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?

bend17177429 wrote:

I didn't do anything accidentally, but thanks for the helpful answer. What happened is that I had all my images on a RAID 5 array which died (2 of the 4 drives died) so that drive location (H:) no longer exists.

I had hoped that synchronizing my entire D:/My Photography folder would result in LR correctly locating and adding those images but it did not.

Is there an easy way to completely dissassociate all connections with the no-longer existent H: drive and have LR only look to D:/My Photography for images? I have far too many shoots to want to go in and manually update each subfolder.

I could choose to remove that entire H: folder though I don't know if that is the optimal choice for what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks.

This is what I was talking about. Those images are in the LR database file, the catalog file.

You removed the H: drive but never reconnected the images already in the catalog with the new location of them. Search LR for one of those image file names using the Filter bar. I bet they are in the catalog and they will have an exclamation mark ( ! ) next to them. That means LR can't locate them. Right click on one of them and select Find missing file (or something like that. I've never had to do that so I don't know the exact wording). Once you find one the other should fall in line.

• 17. Re: Why does LR recognize but not import/synchronize new files in a folder?
                                          bend17177429 Level 1

Thank you, good advice.

A friend suggested that I remove the residual H: drive from LR and I've done that.