7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I make a video from photos not video?

tinab92112309

How do I make a video from photos?

• 1. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just add them to the timeline, the same way you'd add video.

In my books, I usually recommend resizing your photos to less than 2000x1500 pixels (72 ppi) before you add them to a video project. This saves the program a lot of work and makes everything run more smoothly -- and, since this is closer to video resolution, the results often look better too.

• 2. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?
            tinab92112309 Level 1

stupid question.  How many KB OR GB is 72 ppi  my are sized by that.

• 3. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You size them by pixels as Steve suggested..  Any ppi is OK, as it is only relevant for printing documents, not video.

• 4. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?

The size of the file is also irrelevant, since JPEGs can vary in size, depending on compression.

It's the length and width, measured in pixels, that matter.

• 5. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?
                  whsprague Level 4

tinab92112309 wrote:

How do I make a video from photos?

A long time ago I made a "slide show" in Premier Elements by adding photo files instead of video clips.  I had not yet bought and read Steve's very good book, so I didn't know I was supposed to "resize" them.   I think it was about the time version 10 was current.  I asked why it was necessary.  Both Steve and Bill Hunt (who is no longer active here) tried to explain it.  It had something to with overloading the computer.  For a test, I put 100 RAW files from a Sony camera on the time line without even turning them into JPEGS, let alone resizing them.  Then I tried making them all JPEGs with resizing and did the project over.  There was  no difference in performance or appearance, at least none that I could find.

One little trick that makes life easier is to set the default duration for each slide to something you like.   Do this before you add the media.  On the menu select Edit > Preferences > General and you'll find "Still Image Default Duration" in frames.  If you set up your project to be 60fps, then 180 frames should be 3 seconds each.   Once everything is on the time line you have adjust the duration one slide at a time. 

Bob and Steve can worry about pixels, PPI, DPI, KB, GB and learning to resize in other software, but I don't bother.   Try it without.  Unless you have a real old and weak computer, your results should be the same as mine.

Good luck!

Bill

• 6. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?
                    tinab92112309 Level 1

Thank you all for your help!

One last question before I pull all my hair out:

I have downloaded and put in serial numbers, which go through.  (4 times) When I add media there is a strip that goes thru the picture that says I am using Premier Elements trial basis.  I never choose trial I purchased it outright.

It will not go away.

Can't I just open premier off of my pc and use it without signing in and re-entering serial numbers etc.....  Will that strip ever go away??

I am putting together football video for banquet this sunday and I am stressed out trying to get this to work.  Should I try Apple I-movie?

Grateful

Tina

• 7. Re: How do I make a video from photos not video?

You may want to uninstall and reinstall the program, activating it when you reinstall.

This won't remove any of your work in progress, but it should get rid of that nag screen.