5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 6:57 PM by michaeld23464411

best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?

michaeld23464411

I recently switched from Vegas, and am getting along ok with Premiere Pro. But I have now ventured into After Effects, in an attempt to import some text templates.

First, what is the best workflow for using after effects text templates. Should I do the video first, render it, and them import the video into Ae where I can fine tune the titles?

Or should I import, somehow, the work I do in Ae into my Pr project?

The problem I am having are in either case.

When I render the Ae titles, in high quality, the rendered product has major flaws, sudden white fuzz like an old TV on an analogue antenna.

Or, when I try to import the Pr project into Ae, the Pr is in 1080, and the text in the template is in 720 and so it looks smaller than it is supposed to be.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Michael

• 1. Re: best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?
          jasontcox Adobe Community Professional

There are exceptions to every rule, but in the vast majority of cases, unless it is a super short project, keep your Premiere sequence in Premiere and don't send the whole thing to AE. Design your titles as separate compositions in an After Effects project file and then you can import those compositions into Premiere without any rendering out whatsoever. You can even update the text inside of Premiere without having to go back to AE. The performance is sometimes iffy during playback, but it depends on your system and you can always create a Preview file. More info here:

How to use Live Text templates from After Effects in Premiere Pro | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials

and

Use Live Text templates in Premiere Pro CC

• 2. Re: best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?
            James Pageau Level 1

If the AE titles are not complex I bring them directly into premier with dynamic link.  Just like Jason said.

Otherwise you render them as Cineform RGBA 12-bit from AE via MediaEncoder and import that into premiere.

Either way you should set your projects to match the size they are at to keep optimum crispness.   If your AE project is 720p it will be fuzzy scaled up to 1080p and it will be more apparent with text than a with video.  If rebuilding your template is not an option, you might be able to precomp your template in AE to 1080p and get a better result as AE would try to render all the vector content at 1080p from the nested comps.

• 3. Re: best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?
              michaeld23464411 Level 1

Thanks James for your reply last month, helping me with connecting AE and PR. How do you like to create a dynamic link? Do you start in Pr and then create it, which brings you into Ae? And how do you then create the titles so they synch up, at least roughly with the Pr project?  Do you render a scratch video and make a scratch track to roughly synchronize the titling? Or is the link so seamless, that you just toggle between what you do in Ae and Pr to make small adjustments?

It sounds like if my template is only 720 that it might make sense to just do the video project in 720 too.

But my biggest question is the one about workflow. Any more details in how you do it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Michael

• 4. Re: best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?
                michaeld23464411 Level 1

James,
                I think I figured out the dynamic link! I never really figured out how to get the 720p text template to work in the 1080 project (even after changing the Ae project to 1080. And when I tried to just downgrade the Pr sequence to 720, it zoomed into the project and cut off the sides and top and bottom. I apparently resolved this by just making the text/font much bigger in the Ae project.

When I do use the link I wanted to click on the linked project (added to the sequence timeline) and "render and replace." I hope to do this to free up memory. But when I render it, the rendered product is opaque and doesn't let the video in the sequence come through it. I changed a few parameters but I don't want the rendered product to have less opacity (that would make the titles faint). I want it to be rendered with a transparent background, but in the process for creating "render and replace" it doesn't seem to have this option.

Any ideas?

Michael

• 5. Re: best way to work between after effects and premiere pro-- for titling?
                  michaeld23464411 Level 1

Jason. Thanks for your helpful reply a few weeks ago--- about trying to sync up Ae and Pr,
                  I think I figured out the dynamic link! I never really figured out how to get the 720p text template to work in the 1080 project (even after changing the Ae project to 1080. And when I tried to just downgrade the Pr sequence to 720, it zoomed into the project and cut off the sides and top and bottom. I apparently resolved this by just making the text/font much bigger in the Ae project.) 

When I do use the link I was hoping to click on the linked Ae project (added to the sequence timeline) and apply "render and replace." I hope to do this to free up memory. But when I render it, the rendered product is opaque and doesn't let the video in the sequence come through it. I changed a few parameters but I don't want the rendered product to have less opacity (that would make the titles faint). I want it to be rendered with a transparent background, but in the process for creating "render and replace" it doesn't seem to have this option.

Any ideas?

Michael