2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 4:33 PM by Migintosh

I'm looking for help with InDeign to put back togther an Italian rule book for a game I translated

darklestat79

I have two questions about InDesign when it comes to getting this rule book back together

1) I have added all the fonts I needed to my computer for the project I am working on translating a broad game rule book from Italian to English. But is there a special document font folder that you also have to load the fonts to so you can use them in InDesign? If so how do you add fonts to it so you can use it in a document?

2) What is an easy way or can you break down the steps for me to Place an open office document in InDesign. Being able to use it as working text, if something had to be added
      or changed? Also when I bring it into InDesign I would want it to have the same fonts as the open office document.

If you could help me that would be great thank you for your time Adam Ewing.

Also my email address is REMOVED if that helps you to send me a reply about my questions
      and I am using InDesign CC4 2014, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, And OpenOffice 41.2

[personal information removed... Mod - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is an open forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

• 1. Re: I'm looking for help with InDeign to put back togther an Italian rule book for a game I translated
          Migintosh Level 4

First, although responding to you via email might be convenient, it's better to let others who may find this thread with a similar question to benefit from the answers you get, so responding on the forum is preferred. Also, posting your email might invite spam, so you should consider editing your message to remove it.

darklestat79 wrote:

But is there a special document font folder that you also have to load the fonts to so you can use them in InDesign?

If you place fonts into your OS fonts folders, they will be available to all programs. If you just want to use them in InDesign, there is a fonts folder in the InDesign application folder. Just place them there and they will be available in InDesign only.

darklestat79 wrote:

What is an easy way or can you break down the steps for me to Place an open office document in InDesign.

See if this helps: How to place text from a word-processing application in InDesign | Adobe InDesign CC tutorials

• 2. Re: I'm looking for help with InDeign to put back togther an Italian rule book for a game I translated
            Migintosh Level 4

darklestat79 wrote:

First off thank you for your reply when I get off work I will look into your reply. When you answered my questions you said: If you place fonts into your OS fonts folders, they will be available to all programs. What is an OS folder? if it's the font folder on my PC then yes I have added them already but some of the fonts InDesign is not reading them or not using them. That's why I asked if you had to add to the InDesign font folder somehow? Second you said: If you just want to use them (the fonts) in InDesign, there is a fonts folder in the InDesign application folder. Just place them there and they will be available in InDesign only. Where do you find or how do you get to the InDesign application folder? When you answered my second question you said to watch the video you sent me. I will but like I said I'm at work now. But I did click on it and it doesn't look like InDesign CC4 2014 vertion or set up. Will the idea from the video still work for InDesign CC4 2014 that I'm using?

I use Mac OS only, so I'm not sure how Windows does it, but I expect it's very similar. Mac OS has several fonts folders. One provides fonts for all users on the computer. Another provides fonts for the specific user that is logged in at the moment (so, if you use a work station in the day, you can log in as yourself, and if someone works evenings, they can have their own log-in that they can customize, and you don't have to reset your preferences every time your co-worker changes them to suit their own needs. In that case, you could have fonts that are not available to your co-worker, and visa-versa). A third fonts folder is inside the InDesign folder in your Applications folder. These fonts are only available to InDesign. You might wonder why you would want fonts that only work in InDesign, but it's convenient in production settings where you open a job someone else made, and you just need to tweak it or output to press. If you drop the fonts there, you can delete them after the job is done, and you don't muck up your system with fonts you may only need that one time.

Some Windows expert will probably be able to advise you on what to do, but if you use the InDesign fonts folder, it should work. As to the video, the concepts should be helpful in what ever version of InDesign you are using.