15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 3:24 PM by Steve Grisetti

prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

marka404 Level 1

I have a .PREL file created in Prem Elements 14 under Windows 7 x64 professional that has a media source type .DV NTSC standard. Editing this project with PREL14 works properly under Windows 7.

When I attempt to open the same .PREL under Windows 10 x64, i get an unsupported codec message.

As a test, I attempted to create a new .DV NTSC project; PREL 14 clearly believes that it supports .DV - it is an available options in Project Settings when creating a new project - nevertheless, the list of supported formats does not include .DV and I cannot get PREL 14 to use .DV NTSC under Windows 10.

Has anyone run into this issue, and how to resolve?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the list of supported formats does not include .DV

Its called avi (not .DV) and it is supported.

Clean out Media Cash in the Preferences and rename the folder the avi's are in.

See if you can import into a new project.

• 2. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Ann notes, video with the .dv suffix are usually DV-AVIs, which are editable in Premiere Elements. But DV-AVIs usually have a .avi suffix, which may be confusing the program.

Changing the suffix to .avi may make them compatible with the program.

But it all depends on where these video files are coming from. Whatever device or software created them may or may not be creating true DV-AVIs.

• 3. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
              marka404 Level 1

Thank you for the replies - I cleaned cache and renamed the file from .DV to .AVI - same error. These files were exported by an older canon digital camcorder.

What is interesting is, my computer dual boots windows 10 and windows 7. both of these have access to the same PREL 14 project and video file, and windows 7 has no issue but windows 10 doesn't have a codec for the video file. Can a codec be added to windows 10? Hopefully a single 'official' microsoft codec, not one of the third-party packs that load tons of codecs of varying quality.

• 4. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

Never never never install a codecpack.

It messes up the codecs on your machine.

If you want to clean this up you need to make a clean install starting with windows.

• 5. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

What do you mean that the video files were exported by a older canon digital?

What model of camcorder? Tape based or hard drive? And how did the video get to your computer? All of these factors can affect the file's compatiblity.

In fact, if you can open one of the files in Media Info (a free download) and post the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs it reports, that would be very helpful.

• 6. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
                    marka404 Level 1

apologies for lack of info - I don't know the model of camcorder; these were done years ago and I simply got the files.

Ok, i ran ffprobe on the file and get:

Input #0, dv, from '2009-04-03_webcast.dv':
                      Metadata:
                        timecode        : 00:00:00:00
                      Duration: 00:38:56.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 28771 kb/s
                        Stream #0:0: Video: dvvideo, yuv411p, 720x480 [SAR 8:9 DAR 4:3], 28771 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 29.97 tbn, 29.97 tbc
                        Stream #0:1: Audio: pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s
                    • 7. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

So what model of camcorder is this video from and how did you get it onto your computer?

I look forward to the Media Info report on this file.

• 8. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

Is not .dv a mac thing.

Load a clip up in MPEG streamclip or Quicktime Pro to convert the file to .avi.

• 9. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
                          marka404 Level 1

I downloaded files from an FTP site related to the project i'm working on - they were unloaded from camera years ago. I simply don't know the camcorder model.

I can of course use ffmpeg to convert the .DV to any other reasonable format which is merely an annoyance, but my question is still: why does PREL 14 under Windows 7 open this file just fine, whereas PREL 14 under Windows 10 will not?

here is the media info output:

c:\temp>MediaInfo.exe 2009-04-03_webcast.dv

General

Complete name                            : 2009-04-03_webcast.dv

Format                                   : DV

Commercial name                          : DVCPRO

File size                                : 7.82 GiB

Duration                                 : 38mn 56s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Overall bit rate                         : 28.8 Mbps

Recorded date                            : 1970-01-01 00:00:00.000

Video

Format                                   : DV

Commercial name                          : DVCPRO

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 24.4 Mbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 (29970/1000) fps

Standard                                 : NTSC

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:1:1

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Bottom Field First

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.357

Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00

Time code source                         : Subcode time code

Stream size                              : 6.64 GiB (85%)

Encoding settings                        : wb mode= / white balance= / fcm=auto focus

Audio

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : PCM

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps

Encoded bit rate                         : 0 bps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Stream size                              : 428 MiB (5%)

• 10. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
                            marka404 Level 1

Hello Ann,

thanks for your reply.

I can either convert all the files to a different format - AVI as you suggest - or edit this under Windows 7, since this issue only exists under Windows 10.

In case you've not tried it before, I nearly always use ffmpeg for any video conversion; it offers great flexibility and control (although it is CLI and has some learning curve). In addition,the quality of converted files is generally unmatched if ffmpeg has been supplied with proper parameters (this is important as DV is a lossy format)

• 11. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

I hardly ever use a converter..

It is somehow a W10 issue.

Have no solution for this.

• 12. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

I still think you should be able to edit this footage. It appears to be plain vanilla miniDV footage.

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime installed, per the program's requirements?

• 13. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?
                                  marka404 Level 1

Installing latest Quicktime fixes the issue - Thank you for the assistance, much appreciated!

• 14. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

Glad you got this fix but its rather stupid to have to use QT for DV.

If it were mov's I could understand.

• 15. Re: prem elements 14 does not support .DV codec under windows 10?

Quicktime supplements Premiere Elements with a number of codecs,

Great news, Mark!