2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 8:06 AM by dj_paige

Understanding Previews

Tony3dd

Ok, I downloaded LightRoom 6.3 as a digital download, not the cloud version. I'm not quite understanding the preview concept. I want to be able to view my images in Lightroom accurately, and be able to zoom in on them. Does this mean I have to import my images as 1 to 1 preview sizes, or does this mean something else? I'd like to save the room if it's not necessary to do so. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Understanding Previews
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi tony3dd,

I want to be able to view my images in Lightroom accurately, and be able to zoom in on them

Simply specify 1:1 previews upon import.1:1 Previews are best to view actual pixels of your images.Please refer How to specify import options in Lightroom

It is recommended to Choose 1:1 Previews on import.Here's another explanation #3: Render 1:1 Previews on Import | Six Ways to Speed Up Lightroom | Peachpit

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Understanding Previews
            dj_paige Level 9

tony3dd wrote:

Ok, I downloaded LightRoom 6.3 as a digital download, not the cloud version. I'm not quite understanding the preview concept. I want to be able to view my images in Lightroom accurately, and be able to zoom in on them. Does this mean I have to import my images as 1 to 1 preview sizes, or does this mean something else? I'd like to save the room if it's not necessary to do so. Thanks.

You can always zoom 1:1. The value of previews is that you spend a little disk space to save your self time. It's a tradeoff. If you generate 1:1 previews, zooming ought to be very quick. If you don't generate 1:1 previews, you save disk space, but zooming will be slower because Lightroom will then have the generate the zoomed image.