6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 5:40 AM by DavidM7d

files imported but now not shown in LR library

DavidM7d Level 1

I think this is another aspect of various threads but I cannot find a specific answer.  My apologies if it is a repeat question.

(Windows 10, Lightroom 6 under the CC umbrella, images stored on an external drive, LR catalogue on C-drive).

One folder, containing 44 images, now only shows as 1 image in the LR library.  If I go to the folder containing the 44 images on the external drive to try a re-import (looking for 'all images'), 43 are greyed-out in light grey, the one that I am able to see in the library is greyed-out in dark grey.  Needles to say, I cannot re-import any of these greyed-out images.  This suggests that LR already has them catalogued somewhere.  However, when I search for them in the LR catalogue, covering all of the folders, they do not show.  I have tried this on both the external and internal drives.  So on the one hand, LR seems to be saying 'I've already got them', but on the other hand it can't find them anywhere.  I've also tried a Windows file search for one of the specific images and the only place it could be found, unsurprisingly, was in it's rightful place on the external drive.

My other folders work fine, I have not moved the folder in question, it worked perfectly a couple of days ago.  I have tried removing the folder and reimporting, but LR still only 'finds' the one image out of the 44.

At a loss as to what next.  Should I roll back to an earlier catalogue back-up and see if that helps?

• 1. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi DavidM,

It could be possible that you have filters turned on.

Go to View menu > Show Filter bar (if not already selected) > make sure none is selected in the filter bar.

filter.PNG

If that does not help, share a screenshot of your Lightroom Library module.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
            dj_paige Level 9

This happens because you have most likely (accidentally) imported the photos using the COPY option instead of the ADD option.

The photos are already in Lightroom. Importing them again is never a good idea, and will usually cause significant disadvantages. You need to use Lightroom's search tools to find the photos in Lightroom, and then you will be able to edit them or do anything else in Lightroom with these photos.

Here is how to do the search.

1. From your operating system, determine the exact file name of one of these photos
            2. In Lightroom, on the left, click on All Photographs (its under the word "Catalog")
            3. In Lightroom, turn off any filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
            4. In Lightroom, use the menu command View->Sort->by File Name, which puts all of your photos into alphabetical order by file name
            5. In Lightroom, Scroll up or down in the Grid until you find this one file by file name in alphabetical order
            6. In Lightroom, Right-click on the photo, select Show in Explorer and then you will know what folder Lightroom thinks the photo is in
            • 3. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
              DavidM7d Level 1

Thanks dj_paige, this has enabled me to get them back into the catalogue although I'm bemused how the problem arose.  Like you say, I might have imported using 'copy' but I don't think so, and the folder was already imported and working fine until today when all of a sudden 43 files dropped out of the library folder.

Following your steps, I found them again.  At step 6 Show in File Explorer, I got a pop-up window that said 'Could not be used as the original file could not be found.  Would you like to locate it?'  This window also showed the previous location as being in the right folder name but on the D-drive (my images are all on an external F-drive).  When I selected 'OK' I was then able to navigate to the F-drive, select the image and put it back into the Library.

So I have no idea why the LR library suddenly thinks that 43 out of 44 images in this one folder were on a drive (D) that I only use to back-up my F-drive.  Could be a twist of Windows I suppose.  Not fully discounting user error!

Many thanks for your crystal-clear advice.  As a footnote, is there a way to recover all 42 remaining images in one go rather than repeating Step 6 for each one individually?

Regards,

Dave

• 4. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
                DavidM7d Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion Chetna but dj-paige has provided the info I need.

Regards,

Dave

• 5. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
                  dj_paige Level 9

is there a way to recover all 42 remaining images in one go rather than repeating Step 6 for each one individually?

If they are all in the same folder in Windows, you should be able to reconnect them all at once. When you connect one, there should be an option to Find Nearby Missing Photos.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/locate-missing-photos.html

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: files imported but now not shown in LR library
                    DavidM7d Level 1

All sorted.  Thanks again for your help.

Dave