8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 1:44 PM by rwiebusch

Lightroom Back-up

rwiebusch

I have been working with Lightroom 5 for a few years, but taking digital photos for 10 years.  Last month, I started a project to bring all my digital photos into the Lightroom catalog, make uniform and simplify the file naming process, delete photos I no longer wanted, and mark some of the ones I was keeping for "collections".  I spent days on this and deleted at least 10,000 photos.  The program stated that it was making a backup of the catalog (not photos) at the end of each session.  Two days ago, when I tried to open Lightroom, I was met by a message saying that "Lightroom had trouble reading preview caches and needed to close."  Since then, I have not been able to find the work I had completed, the Lightroom catalog backups, or even any of my photos with editing metadata.  The best I can do is import all the photos on my various drives to Lightroom again, and receive versions with no history of prior editing, as well as all the 10,000 that I spent a month deleteing. I have spent 2 hours with Carbonite trying to get them to restore my files as they existed on the 15th, only to discover that they did not make a copy of my updated photo files every 24 hours, as they had claimed they would, and that they don't even know where to look for the missing files because they don't know Lightroom.  Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Lightroom Back-up
          dj_paige Level 9

"Lightroom had trouble reading preview caches and needed to close."

In your operating system, go to the folder where your catalog file is located. There will be a sub-folder whose name ends with Previews.LRDATA. Delete this subfolder. Do not delete anything else.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Back-up
            Hal P Anderson Level 6

Don't re-import. There's nothing wrong with your catalogue or your images.

In the same directory as your catalogue, there's an item named <catalogue name> Previews.LRDATA. That's the database of all your previews that display in the Library module. If it doesn't exist, LR will recreate it. It's corrupt,. Delete it, and LR should come up normally. It will get rebuilt "on demand" or go to the Library->Previews menu item and rebuild them.

Hal

• 3. Re: Lightroom Back-up
              rwiebusch Level 1

I have 7 lrdat files:

August 22, 2010 ("Lightroom Catalog Peviews")

August 22, 2010 ("Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews")

March 24, 2015 ("Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews")

March 27, 2015 ("Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews")

May 23, 2015 ("Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews")

January 24, 2016 (("Lightroom 5 Catalog Smart Previews")

February 15, 2016 ("Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews")

Should I delete all or just the latest?

• 4. Re: Lightroom Back-up
                Hal P Anderson Level 6

No need to delete the Smart Previews one.

You want to delete the one that is in the folder that your Lightroom catalogue lives in. (The catalogue that gives you the error when you try to open it).

Hal

• 5. Re: Lightroom Back-up
                  dj_paige Level 9

Most likely the Feb 15 catalog

• 6. Re: Lightroom Back-up
                    rwiebusch Level 1

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to delete the right catalog.  I searched the computer for .lrdata files, found the ones I listed, and deleted all of them.  But when I opened Lightroom again, I just got the same group of files I had before the project started a month ago.  I imported all my photos again this morning, before I raised the issue in this forum, and I can't find a way to un-import them or to get back to where I was yesterday.  Generally there seems to be no solution to get back to the condition of the photos and catalog on Feb. 15.  Any additional ideas would be very much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Back-up
                      dj_paige Level 9

After you delete the .LRDATA folders, you still have to open the proper catalog file.

Try opening each one by double-clicking on it until you find the one that has the photos you want.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Back-up
                        rwiebusch Level 1

Thanks again.  It looks like that may have fixed it.