4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 4:47 PM by trshaner

Lightroom used to open files in TIFF in Photoshop, but now opens them in RAW format

romainb2319758

Hi everybody,

When i want to edit a photograph in Photoshop from Lightroom, it used to convert it to TIFF (as I chose it in the "external edition" configuration menu) but since a few days Photoshop opens the files in CR2 (canon raw).

Is it normal ? Is it bad ?

Thank you for your support,

Regards,

Romain

• 1. Re: Lightroom used to open files in TIFF in Photoshop, but now opens them in RAW format
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Romain,

That seems to be normal as it opens the file in original format in Photoshop and converts to TIFF/PSD once you save it.

So, would suggest you to save the file and check if it is being converted to TIFF format as you want.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Lightroom used to open files in TIFF in Photoshop, but now opens them in RAW format
            romainb2319758 Level 1

Hi Chetna,

Yes, I can save it -once edited- in PSD or TIFF.

But It's weird that it suddenly changed.

It is the same on both of my computers : Photoshop used to open files in TIFF (as I ask it to do) but now only opens them in CR2 event though the "external edition" configuration menu is set on TIFF (screenshot attached).

Capture d’écran 2016-02-18 à 20.07.51.png

What's even weirder is that if I change the color space from ProPhoto to Adobe 98 or sRVB, the CR2, when opening in Photoshop, is actually converted to the color space I choose in this Lightroom menu (see screenshot).

Both Lightroom and Photoshops have been updated a few minutes ago(and I restarted my computer), and it didn't solve this "issue" (which ain't really an issue, but it's weird)

• 3. Re: Lightroom used to open files in TIFF in Photoshop, but now opens them in RAW format
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Actually as soon as it opens in PS as a RAW file if you use File>Save or Ctrl + s it will change to a TIF file.

The only time a file sent to PS opens directly as a TIF file is if you are using an older version of PS that doesn't have the same version of ACR as LR. Then LR will convert the file to a TIF before it sends it to PS. Otherwise PS>ACR couldn't read the RAW data.

• 4. Re: Lightroom used to open files in TIFF in Photoshop, but now opens them in RAW format
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

romainb2319758 wrote:

It is the same on both of my computers : Photoshop used to open files in TIFF (as I ask it to do) but now only opens them in CR2 event though the "external edition" configuration menu is set on TIFF (screenshot attached).

If you are referring to the file name showing in PS that is expected behavior, as below. The file format is actually whatever you have selected in External Editing Preferences, which in your case is TIFF. If you use 'Save' in PS the file will be saved to the drive in that format (TIFF). There are numerous reasons why a different file format name appeared previously, but what you are seeing now is normal.

If you are saying that the 'Edit in PS' file is opening in Adobe Camera Raw plugin that is not normal. Please confirm what is happening.

romainb2319758 wrote:

What's even weirder is that if I change the color space from ProPhoto to Adobe 98 or sRVB, the CR2, when opening in Photoshop, is actually converted to the color space I choose in this Lightroom menu (see screenshot).

This is also normal behavior.....what would you expect to happen? If you have PS Warnings enable and your PS Working Color Space is different than your LR External Editing Preferences 'Color Space' setting you should see this: