7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 3:18 PM by David_F

How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?

David_F

I am using Premier Elements 13 on Windows 7

When I execute the Freeze Frame tool it creates a still image (bmp file) from a frame in my video clip.

The bmp file size can range from 6076KB, 2701KB or 1013 KB and seems to be independent of the type of clip (MPEG, MOV, AVI), the size (1366x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080, 320x180, 720x480) or the rate (29.97, 29.55. 29.04. 25.00, 24.00) of the video.

The size of the image  seems to depend upon the project file it was created in.  The same clip can produce a 6076 bmp file or a 2701 bmp file depending on which one of the project files (prel)  the Freeze Frame tool was executed.

I have searched all over for a project setting that might establish a default files size for output but there does not appear to be one.

Is there any way to exert control over the size of the bmp file generated by Freeze Frame?   I need consistency,

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A BMP file is not compressed, so the size of the file is based on the resolution of the video you're creating it from.

A high-def 1920x1080 BMP is a little over 2 megabytes.A standard definition 720x480 BMP is about 350 kilobytes.

You can figure the size of the BMP by multiplying the length and width measurements in pixels.

• 2. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
            whsprague Level 4

David_F wrote:

.......Is there any way to exert control over the size of the bmp file generated by Freeze Frame?   I need consistency,

Thank you.

Megapixel, kilobyte and megabyte math can be confusing.  Pixels and bytes are not the same or interchangeable. 

You write that you "need consistency".  Are you trying to achieve picture pixel dimension consistency or file size consistency?

There is little (maybe nothing) in Premier Elements to do a pixel "resizing process" that I know of.   Photoshop Elements, Photoshop  or Lightroom can do that from your .BMP files if needed.  If you are trying to make small JPEGs for something like efficient emailing, there is an option in the Publish&Share portion of the program for that where file size can be controlled.

• 3. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
              David_F Level 1

Thanks Steve and Whsprauge

I thought the problem may have to do with the project default settings and how they can change depending on which is the first clip imported into the project. But regardless of which clip I import first, the settings are either AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 or AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.  But either one of these are full resolution, correct? So I would think they would produce similar BMP size files.  Could the  frame rate be a factor?

So I am still unclear as to why when I generate an image file with Freeze Frame it sometimes saves as 2701 KB file and sometimes as a 6076 KB file. Most of the time it saves as the larger file size.

This causes problems for me because I export these image files into a vector drawing  program (MS Visio) for annotation.  I then export them back out for import into Premiere Elements 13.  I am working with several subprojects whose AVI files get imported into a master project so consistency in size becomes an issue.  For example, the text annotations on a 2701KB file display larger than those on the 6071KB file when clips from the two different subprojects are combined in the master.

What I have done to overcome the problem is to resize the smaller 2701 KB image file in Visio to the dimensions of the 6076 KB file image (20 x11/5 inches). I loose resolution but now all the text annotations are consistent among the clips.  Perhaps this is the best I can do if I really am dealing with files of different definitions.

When working with a master project is there any way to force all subprojects to use the same  project definition?  I would be willing to accept a downgrade in resolution to the lowest common denominator in exchange for consistency, But the way I understand Premiere is that default settings can change very easily (automatically) depended on the first file imported or the last project worked on.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• 4. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
                whsprague Level 4

David_F wrote:

.....When working with a master project is there any way to force all subprojects to use the same  project definition? 

Yes.  When opening a project, poke the Change Settings button and pick one.  I think it should be "AVCHD 1080p60".  I don't think I would want to use an "i" setting, but I know nothing about Vizio. 

After you "Change Settings" check the "Force selected Project Settings on this project" box. 

Capture.JPG

• 5. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
                  whsprague Level 4

David_F wrote:

..... For example, the text annotations on a 2701KB file display larger than those on the 6071KB file when clips from the two different subprojects are combined in the master.

.....dimensions of the 6076 KB file image (20 x11/5 inches)

Re thinking, trying a couple things and that sentence convinces me that you are mixing frame dimensions in pixels and file size in KB.   Further, digital images don't have inch sizes until put on paper or a screen.  All they have is pixel dimensions.  Each pixel may have a lot or little information based on color, brightness, etc so the KB size will vary even though the pixel dimensions don't.

I set up a project at 640x480, put in a clip and Freeze Framed to a .BMP.  If you look at a file in Explorer and hover the mouse over it you get a date, pixel dimension, and KB size.  The result (you can see in the attached image) is file with an image of 640x480, just like the project setting.  In this case a file size of 900 KB was needed to hold the data from this particular frame. 

If Visio is happy with JPEGs, there is a way through Publish&Share > Image to more fully control the pixel dimensions with settings under the Advanced button.  Using that method I made a jpeg from the exact same frame with 1920x1080 pixels and 1.2MB in file size. 

I am convinced that your changes in text size are due to pixel dimensions and have nothing to do with file size.  Of course I've been wrong more than once and advice can be worth what you actually pay for!Capture.JPG

• 7. Re: How do I control the size of the BMP file created by Freeze Frame tool?
                    David_F Level 1

One quick follow up note.

My confusion stemmed from the fact that I was comparing the resolution of the original clips before they were added to a projects,  They were all the same.

But what I was not paying attention to was the actual project settings.which, because I wasn't paying attention, were different. 

So one project was 720p sq pixel and  one was HD 1080i.  (1920x1080)/(1280x720) =2.25 which is the same value as the ratio of BMP file sizes (6076 KB /2701 KB).  So it all makes sense now.

So thank you very much for helping me understand,

One more question:  All of these projects with different resolutions will be output to AVI files which will then be combined into a master project.  All of the AVI files will be 720x480 so any differences in the individual project resolutions at the subproject level should be eliminated upon export to the master project.    Is this correct?