14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 9:26 AM by MW Design

Quark to InDesign conversion question

jsyork

I  have a Quark document (.qxp) that I need to convert to ID - I have ID version 8.0.  I tried to open the document in ID and it came up with an pop-up stating that a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing.  When looking on-line for a Quark to InDesign conversion tool, it mentioned that it may be built right into InDesign.  I'm very confused - do I have to purchase a plug-in or not?  If so, do I have to download an upgrade to my current ID (ver. 8.0)?  Thank you for any assistance! 

• 1. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesing can natively open Quark 3 & 4, but beyond that you need to purchase Q2ID from Markzware.com.

• 2. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
            MW Design Level 4

Single document? How big of a document, what is it made of? Depending on what it is, I would be willing to convert it to a CS6 ID file.

Mike

• 3. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you’re using Q2ID you would violating the license. It’s for the use of the license holder only.

Markzware will usually convert one file as a demo.

• 4. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                jsyork Level 1

Mike - thank you, but this is an official document I edit for my company and therefore confidential - but thank you for the offer, much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                  jsyork Level 1

Bob- the document is a several pages (@ 30ish).  Would this size convert as "one file" in the Markzware demo?

• 6. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question

You’d have to ask them.

• 7. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                      MW Design Level 4

Thank you, Bob.

I am well aware of the license. Which is why I inquired about the contents--I wouldn't desire to do a graphic-laden file manually. But if it wasn't a graphic-rich document, it is quick enough to do manually.

Feel free to ping me privately if in the future you think something I am doing is unethical (or worse). I would do the same with you.

• 8. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question

There was some very heavy discussion about this when the plugin was released. A lot of people are unaware of that restriction.

I just wanted anyone involved to be aware of it.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                          MW Design Level 4

Yes, thank you Bob. Avoidance of the word "you" would have made the statement generic and I likely wouldn't have gotten my knickers in a twist. Just a might sensitive about the ethics thing. Always have been. But I'm seeking help ;^)

Markzware knows what license I have—it isn't for Q2ID but the other way round.

Mike

• 10. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question

Sorry about that Mike. I just bang out the word you in a generic sense most of the time.

ID2Q? I always wondered if anyone actually bought that.

• 11. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                              MW Design Level 4
                              ID2Q? I always wondered if anyone actually bought that.

Stranger things have been true. It's actually one of the reasons why I haven't been around much in the past several months/year or so. But my ID work has also picked up of late for some smallish things, so while perusing the forum for various issues I've taken the opportunity to post occasionally again. And as I am basically a help junkie, I throw out the odd offer once in a while wherever I have landed.

Being semi-retired now (but fully tired), I have some time on my hands.

@jsyork,

The conversion quality will always depend on the source document's use of styles, original graphics/images being available, that sort of thing. Certain items, like headers, will come in "dumb" as QXP before version 10 didn't have running headers--and I don't know if the Q2ID plug-in would translate them anyway into ID running headers even if starting from at least Q10. There will be reflow issues in all likelihood even when using the same fonts as Adobe doesn't rely on the OS for font metrics. Oh, and if you have used custom kerning tables, that may or may not come in properly.

It is sometimes advantageous to to manually rebuild a document regardless of the direction of the conversion. I usually have both applications open and recreate the master pages and text styles (both paragraph and character styles) as closely as I can. Then copy the text to a text editor to strip out formatting, copy again and paste into the receiving application. Then I rebuild the headers/footers. Then place any images/graphics anew in the receiving application. For any in-application vector elements, I try copying to Illustrator and remaking them if needed, otherwise save out from Illy as an AI file, placing that as needed.

Depending on the document, it isn't as daunting as the above sounds for anyone reasonably familiar with the applications. I would attempt the above if you are comfortable enough with these two applications before splurging on the plug-in. For just a few documents, it isn't a bad work-flow. For a larger number of documents, the plug-in may be worth its weight in gold (it has been for me). It doesn't hurt to try the manual method first.

Mike

• 12. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                                jsyork Level 1

Thank you, Mike and Bob for all your help - and certainly didn't want to get anyone's "knickers in a twist" .  Mike - I will follow your advice closely.  We have a graphics department here at work.  I did ask them first about the plug-in as I know they had to do conversions several years ago when they switched from Quark to ID.  They no longer have the plug-in and told me I would have to purchase it.  I still may show them your advice and see if they agree.

Again - thanks so much, and I will let you know if all goes well.  - J

• 13. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                                  jsyork Level 1

ADDITIONAL QUESTION - Sorry, meant to ask this in my last reply.  My version of ID is CS6 ver. 8.0 - a bit dated.  I don't have the Cloud version as I had this installed via my company and at the time, that is all they allowed.  Would I need to update before I purchase this plug-in?  If so, I only found an update for CS6 ver. 8.0.2. - Thanks again for your assistance! - J

• 14. Re: Quark to InDesign conversion question
                                    MW Design Level 4

If they had a license for an earlier version of the plug-in for use in an earlier version of ID, I don't see why the plug-in couldn't be upgraded versus a new purchase. That would be something between you, the other department and the makers of the plug-in.

I use CS6 for most all my ID work. You do not need to move to CC. You would just need the plug-in for CS6.

Mike