6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 2:32 PM by Karl Heinz Kremer

How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC

trevorc26844455

Im just trying to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat and I cant figure out how to do it. This is rediculous. so frustrated. I went to the layers tab and opened the option menu but the is no option to flatten. Please make this easier. Why do I not have an option to do this. or why is it so hidden. stupid!!!!!!!!!! so much easier in Bluebeam.

• 1. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

One needs Acrobat Professional to have access to the Prefight flatten feature or one needs to use the JavaScript "this.flattenPages()".. Flattening only flattens annotations (comments, text boxes, lines, etc.) and form fields.

You can use preflight to flatten layers, but layers in a PDF is not always like layers in an image. All the layers visisble will flattened to I layer. That includes text content and image content but images will still be images.

• 2. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Flatten means at least 3 different things in a PDF, and none of them relate to images. So please explain what you want to happen, and we may be able to help you get to your aim.

• 3. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
              trevorc26844455 Level 1

I have a PDF with a image that I can select and move around within the PDF, I want this image to be flattened onto the document so when I click on the image it wont select the image. Or when I add a comment to a PDF and then I want to flatten it so nobody can alter my comment.

It is a simple button 'Flatten' on other programs I have used. With Adobe Acrobat its like I have to know how to write code in order for it to do what I want.

• 4. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
                trevorc26844455 Level 1

what is 'preflight flatten feature' and where do I find it. my god this program is confusing. I am not going to use Java script just to flatten a PDF, that's ridiculous. I will switch to a different program before I do that.

Can you just send me a link to the most applicable user guide and I can read that. I have been searching all day and cant find what I need.

• 5. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
                  paulp49996788

I am a lawyer who files documents on the websites for the US courts, particularly the US bankruptcy court.  I use Acrobat Professional XI. From time to time I file a PDF court form with fillable fields which I have filled in.  I used to "flatten" these particular docs by printing the PDF to PDF.

There has either been an update to the US courts system, to Adobe Acrobat, or maybe my Word program.  In any event, I only have the choice "Microsoft Print to PDF" when I print inside the Acrobat program, and I cannot form a "flattened" image.

Last week I tried again to "flatten" the image, but could not and I filed the doc with the courts without flattening.  The court called and pointed out the problem is that without flattening, the fillable fields in the doc I filed can be further edited by anyone.

So, how do I flatten, or what more info do you need to know.

• 6. Re: How to flatten an image in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC
                    Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

As you’ve probably read, flattening a file can mean a number of different things. Because you are specifically referring to form fields, I assume that flattening interactive content is all you need to do. There should be no need to actually print the document to PDF (or, what we usually refer to as "refrying" the PDF file). You can install a free flattening tool that allows you to convert interactive content to static PDF content (and then it's indistinguishable from any non-forms related PDF content). You can find such a tool here for example:

Free Acrobat Automation Tools

Look for the "Flatten Page Content Tool" on that page.