1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 8:02 AM by trshaner

Color shift on exported JPEGs

soundway

Hardware/Software:

Lightroom CC 2015.4, Camera Raw 9.4 (I have reinstalled Lightroom already)

Windows 10

Laptop with external Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor. (I don't use the laptop screen much and it is usually turned off.)

Graphics card: Internal Intel HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M. I tried to disable the Intel graphics, but then I couldn't use the external monitor.

Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrator

Problem description:

My external monitor is calibrated with Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite.

I work with Canon and Fuji RAW files in Lightroom. (Same problem for both.)

Exported JPEG image files (sRGB 100% quality) don't show the same color as I see in Lightroom. The exported files seem to have more of a green tint, when I look at them in Microsoft Photos and compare to Lightroom.

However, if I look at an exported JPEG file in Photoshop, or Import it in Lightroom again it actually looks the same as the original Lightroom file.

The photos that I get back from two different photo labs seem to match what I see in Microsoft Photos, but not what I see in Lightroom.

Another interesting thing is that I sent one of my exported files to my friend and he couldn't see any difference between Microsoft Photos and Lightroom for my file.

My friend doesn't have a calibrated monitor. Maybe that could make a difference?

My friend doesn't see any difference in color between Lightroom and his own exported JPEG files.

It is extremely frustrating that the colors don't match.

I'm very grateful for any help that can solve this issue.

Best Regards,

• 1. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
          Paul E Level 1

Confirmed. I just had this happen when I upgraded from LR 6.1 to 6.4. everything outside of Lightroom (exported from Lightroom) now has a green cast to it. Even other color managed programs.

I'm using Windows 8.1. Asus laptop with Intel graphics and Nvidia discreet card. (newest Nvidia driver) I'm currently using my laptop monitor, so the Nvidia card is not in use.

As a way of reference about me, I have been using LR since B 0.5. I've been involved with digital imaging since 1995. I am a professional using LR as my sole program for 10 years. Mainly Magazine features. I have never seen this problem before. Never. I also now teach Lightroom, DAM, basic Photography and Color management at the college level.

I upgraded this past weekend. Exported a few images on Tuesday and saw the problem. I thought, perhaps, my monitor profile may be corrupt. I switched to an sRGB profile to test. The problem was still eveident. So I made two new monitor profiles with my Spyder 4. Each profile shows the same issue: Exported sRGB jpgs, sRGB TIFFS, aRGB JPGS, etc have a green cast compared to the view in LR.

I'm fairly certain that this is not a CMS or monitor profile problem.  It only showed up after an update to LR 6.4. This OP has the same problem. At first I thought I was loosing my mind. But now I feel better that someone else has the same issue. (sorry to the OP, but at least we're not crazy!)

• 2. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Not an answer,  but a possibility-

If you have Nvidia software installed- Open Control Panel > Nvidia Control Panel.

and check that your system is NOT set to "Use NVIDIA settings"

In my experience (WIndows-8 and Spyder calibrator) the screen profile created by the Spyder was being over-ridden by the Nvidia profile until I changed this option!

ScreenShot382.jpg

• 3. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
              Paul E Level 1

I'll check this. But I've had this laptop and a Spyder device profile for it for three years. I suppose the new driver could have changed a setting.... I'll post in a minute. Going to look

• 4. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                Paul E Level 1

Alas, mine is set the same as your screenshot... so that's not to blame for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 5. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Many of Microsoft's programs are not properly color managed. The most common part missing is the application of the monitor profile, which would be visible to folks with calibrated monitors. You with your calibrated monitor see the error; your friend with the noncalibrated monitor has no difference to see.

• 6. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                    Paul E Level 1

Obviously I can't speak for the OP, but this problem just cropped up for me. And my exported images have always matched every other view in every other program in Windows. By the way, Windows now color manages the whole system. If you go into the color management tab for your monitor and select Use My Settings For This Device, and then choose a profile you created, it will apply the profile to everything you see in your system. Not just color aware programs.

• 7. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                      soundway Level 1

I cannot find this setting. I only seem to be able to change some 3D settings in my NVIDIA control panel.

• 8. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                        soundway Level 1

Thank you for your input. It feels good to be backed up.

• 9. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                          soundway Level 1

For me it seems like Lightroom is to fault, since the photo labs that I use seem to match the colors that I see in Microsoft Photo, and not in Lightroom. Whether Microsoft Photo is color managed or not doesn't change that.

I need exported sRGB JPEG files that will be correctly interpreted by most programs. This means the programs that my photo labs use, but also Microsoft Photo, and most web browsers etc.

• 10. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In LR Preferences> Performance tab try unchecking 'Use Graphics Processor:

Also make sure your monitor calibrator software is set to create ICC Version 2 profiles (not Version 4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-g_wL6PSOY

• 11. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                              soundway Level 1

Thanks,

Disabling graphics processor usage in Lightroom didn't solve the problem.

I have read that more programs support ICC v2 than ICC v4, but this seems more like a workaround than a solution.

I don't want to recalibrate right now, but I might try this later..

• 12. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                Paul E Level 1

I have profiles made in icc V 2, 2.2, 2.3 and 4. And made with the following programs: Spyder 4.54, Color Eyes, & DisplayCal. I have LUT, Matrix, Curves+Matrix, and several other kinds of profiles created. They all worked before LR 6.4. On the entire system, allowing Windows to load and manage the profile assignment and conversions. I've tried profiles made over the last three years as well as profiles I just made this week. And, I've used the standard sRGB profile to test that the system is being color managed.

I have run with and without my Nvidia card active in LR. My laptop display does not use it. Instead it uses the Intel card for display (which has no color settings applied)

This issue does not appear to be a Windows CMS/WCS issue. Nor does it appear to be an Nvidia issue, either display or GPU use within LR.

I've been working on this problem for days, and like soundway, my images look the same outside of LR across other software and systems. The only thing here that is different is LR. It reminds me of the joke: I had a vodka lemon last night and got wasted. I had a gin an lemon last week and got wasted. I had a rum and lemon today and got wasted. Damn! Lemons get me drunk. Lemons being the Windows system here, and the alcohol content that isn't being addressed is LR.

edit:

I'd like to add that it appears that the tonal response is fine between LR and other views. It is the color that is off. But I need to check this a bit more to be entirely sure.

• 13. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

To find out if the monitor profile is the cause of the issue, try setting the profile to sRGB.

If this fixes the problem, recalibrate.

Press the Windows key+R, enter colorcpl, and hit Enter.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default profile. See screenshot (from Windows 7) below.

color-management.png

• 14. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                    Paul E Level 1

The OP and I appear to have the same issue. I have done this. It is not the problem for me, see my post above yours. I'd wager that it isn't the problem for soundway, either. Though it will be interesting to read their result.

• 15. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

It sounds like you are saying LR is exporting files with improper processing (i.e. shifted white balance?). Can you post one of the JPEG export files with the issue to download to Dropbox or other file sharing site?

• 16. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                        Paul E Level 1

Here are some screenshots showing the exported JPG in Faststone image viewer (on the right) and the Library view in LR on the left.

lrColor-issue.jpg

I don't have permission to show the entire frame of the next photo, but you'll get the point

lrColor-issue-2.jpg

lrColor-issue-3.jpg

• 17. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

Screenshots won't help find the problem you've already explained verbally. I believe you!

Please take ANY image file, one that you don't mind posting publicly, Export it in LR to JPEG sRGB color profile, and post it to a file sharing site. If we can see it on our end perhaps we can identify the issue. If we can't see it then clearly the issue is with your display system and not LR, correct?

• 18. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                            Paul E Level 1

Re:Screenshots: Ok, fair enough. However, I don't agree with your assessment. I've already shared my images to other systems. These other systems see the same color as my system, which as said is different than Lightroom. And if you read over everything I have tried, it should be obvious that it is not my system, my profiles, or any of my other software. And as the OP has stated, prints they receive back from a service reflect the color seen outside of LR, not the colors in LR. So again, LR appears to be the alcohol in the aforementioned joke. I'm 99.99% inclined to believe that this problem has nothing to do with the lemon. (just to reiterate, this problem only showed up, after ten years of LR use, after upgrading to 6.4)

• 19. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                              Paul E Level 1

Unless there is a huge change, this will be my last update for a week or two about this. So far no one but me and the OP seem to have this issue. No one else has chimed in. So, that said, it reasons that there is something on our sides. I still say that it is not my monitor profile or my CMS settings, however. Perhaps something went awry in the LR upgrade process. Who knows

I have been planning a huge system update to Win 10. I am going to advance my palns an upgrade my system in the next week or so. I will be doing a completely clean installation. And will reinstall all of my software from scratch, ilcuding downloading LR 6.4 as a complete package, not an update package. I will also create a brand new monitor profile at that time. So everything will be new. This should provide some interesting results.

I'll report back after the process.

Thanks for all the suggestions. See you on the flip side.

• 20. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Besides the 2. Choose how color is set option = other, also make sure the Hue is set to 0 in section 3.

• 21. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

For the record, I don't see any wild shift in color between viewing the side-by-side-man JPG uploaded by Paul in LR and viewing its export in Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 10.  My monitor ahd monitor profile are similar to sRGB but not exactly the same.  I have an NVidia card.

WPV on top, LR 2015.4 on the bottom.  They look very similar if not the same to me:

• 22. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

For most people LR is not intoxicating at all so whatever's happening is local to your computer in conjunction with LR.  Discovering the combination might take a while.

Besides reinstalling LR 6.4 from some sort of full install--I don't know where you get this from, you might also reinstall LR 6.3 by installing LR 6.0 and then the LR 6.3 update, from this site, to see if the problem goes away or if it arose coincidentally with the LR 6.4 update:  Install Photoshop Lightroom

• 23. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have no experience with this program, but it appears from a quick google search that Fast stone image viewer does not color manage by default: FastStone Image Viewer - Enable the Color management system

This is similar to a lot of software on windows and something windows users that calibrate their displays have to be aware off. Very little software color manages correctly on the windows platform and you'll often see the wrong color even if you export to sRGB.

• 24. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                        Paul E Level 1

I don't mean to be argumentative, but please read all the other posts first. I may not have addressed FastStone directly, but I did indirectly in my other posts. And yes, I know how FS works. And yes, I tried it both ways.  The problem I am showing with those screen shots is something that just happened after the update to 6.4. I could do this side-by-side before, when I was still using LR 6.1, and there was no major difference. Hence the reason I've never complained about it before. Again, pleased read my posts.

As for Windows and color management. Today, Windows CMS does a pretty good job of showing the user a color managed image even with software that isn't color managed itself. (given that user has created an icc profile for their monitor and properly loaded it)

Again, I don't think it's the lemon.

• 25. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                          soundway Level 1

I just checked the ICC version and it is set to the default setting which is version 2, so it is not the problem.

• 26. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                            soundway Level 1

It didn't help to change the color profile to sRGB.

• 27. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                              soundway Level 1

I only have the 3D settings in my NVIDIA control panel.

• 28. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

Paul E wrote:

As for Windows and color management. Today, Windows CMS does a pretty good job of showing the user a color managed image even with software that isn't color managed itself. (given that user has created an icc profile for their monitor and properly loaded it)

Non-color managed applications do not use the monitor profile or the embedded color profiles in image files. If your monitor is near sRGB gamut (i.e. standard gamut display) AND the image file is sRGB color space then it will look correct. Using anything else it will look wrong.

There are also partially color managed applications (i.e. Internet Explorer) that use the embeded color profile in images, but not the monitor profile. For these applications everything will look correct with an sRGB gamut display. When using a wide gamut display colors will be incorrect (i.e. over-saturated): WIDE GAMUT ADOBE RGB LCD Monitors Screens Troubleshooting Over Saturated sRGB Color Reviews on the Web Tutorial

Using these assumptions if your monitor is near sRGB gamut (and working properly) sRGB images should look fine in non-color managed applications. If not the only thing that can cause this is a problem with the monitor itself, the graphics driver, or one of its adjustments. The images may still look OK in LR since it uses the monitor profile, which "corrects" the display or driver issue (at least partially).

• 29. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

soundway wrote:

I only have the 3D settings in my NVIDIA control panel.

You will not see the Nvidia 'Display' settings if your monitor (or laptop display) is using the Intel HD Graphics adapter. Check the Intel HD Control Panel as outlined here:

Getting the Most out of the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel Demo

• 30. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

trshaner wrote:

Non-color managed applications do not use the monitor profile or the embedded color profiles in image files. If your monitor is near sRGB gamut (i.e. standard gamut display) AND the image file is sRGB color space then it will look correct. Using anything else it will look wrong.

Exactly! LR and other ICC aware applications are correct and it's nearly impossible not to get a color managed preview. If one see's a different rendering of the preview elsewhere, that application isn't color managed. Plus, sRGB alone doesn't necessarily fix this. The display must have a profile that the application can access or even an sRGB image and sRGB like display will not necessarily perfectly match LR or other ICC aware applications.  So while sRGB data in non ICC aware applications might not look awful or wrong, they may still not match what is seen in ICC aware applications.

Always view in Develop at 1:1 for most accurate preview of the image data!

• 31. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

I just experimented with changing some display profiles and found that my Windows 10 wasn't changing the look of my background wallpaper or system applications no matter what profile I choose from the list, sRGB, ProPhotoRGB, various custom-created monitor profiles, etc, but LR and Windows Photo Viewer would still changed their look, so if I'd set the display profile to ProPhotoRGB, WPV and LR would show very pale results as expected when using a wide-gamut profile on the standard-gamut monitor that I have.

I was able to fix things so that selecting various profiles would change the look of the Windows desktop wallpaper and others apps by running through a Window Display Calibration process, that has you adjust Gamma and the color balance and optionally ClearType font rendering.

If either Sounday or PaulE is still having issues with only LR showing things differently, then my suggestion would be to run through a Windows Calibration in the display properties, then go back to the Color Management applet in Control Panel and set your monitor profile to whatever you think it should be, one of your custom-created monitor profiles in PaulE's case or maybe sRGB in soundway's case.

• 32. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                                        Paul E Level 1

I feel like everything that has been written so far is either a)not being read, b)is being ignored c)is being viewed as the ramblings of a mad man.

Wishing soundway (OP) good luck.

Signing off on this conversation. Peace

• 33. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                                          soundway Level 1

My SpyderUtility has a feature where I can turn the calibration On and Off and it changes EVERYTHING I see on my monitor.

• 34. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs
                                                                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

soundway wrote:

My SpyderUtility has a feature where I can turn the calibration On and Off and it changes EVERYTHING I see on my monitor.

That does NOT mean everything is color managed. There are two parts to monitor calibration. One is the calibration of the tone curve response. This is basically the relation between the input value and the brightness of the pixel on the monitor. This is a curve that gets loaded onto the graphics card or in some cases the monitor. This impacts the tone and the white balance of the monitor. This is what you see happening when you switch in SpyderUtility. This does NOT give you correct color but at least your display should have the right white balance and toning. The second part is the color management that happens in the applications themselves. Most monitors' red, green, and blue emission spectrum (in most cases determined by the backlight used and the spectral response of the filter in the pixel) places it not exactly on the same point as sRGB, adobeRGB, or the latest standard Rec 2020 primaries. This means that in order to display the correct color software has to be used to translate the color in the image file into the monitor color space before sending it off to the monitor. This is what color managed apps do and what non color managed apps (most windows software) don't do. While non-colormanaged apps' display is affected by calibration, they still do not display the correct color and can have subtle to very large color shifts depending on the monitor and file. Only color managed apps will give you the right color. This is true except if your monitor has primaries close to sRGB and your file is in sRGB. In that case non-color managed apps will just happen to show more or less correctly.

• 35. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

Run through a Windows Calibration from Display Properties and create a new profile.  Then assign your old custom-generated profile and see if things work right.

• 36. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

And that's how it should work.  My only point was that I was able to correct an issue with my Windows 10 display profile usage by running through a Windows Calibration in Display Properties.  It's not a profile I would use, but going through the process was enough to fix whatever my issue was.

• 37. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

ssprengel wrote:

Run through a Windows Calibration from Display Properties and create a new profile.  Then assign your old custom-generated profile and see if things work right.

Better yet use your monitor calibrator software 'Advanced' mode that let's you manually adjust the display controls (Brightness, Contrast, Color Temp, etc.) using the calibration puck. This helps to insure that non-color managed apps will look the same as color managed apps. This is because you are adjusting the monitor to be very near its calibrated state without an assigned calibration profile. This only works with standard gamut monitors and sRGB images. Wide gamut monitors will only display colors correctly in non-color managed apps if the image file is Adobe RGB, since that is is very close to the display's gamut.

I calibrate my standard gamut display with X-Rite's software using advanced mode and manually adjust the Brightness (120 cd/m2) and RGB screen (6500K) controls. On completion I can compare the results with calibration turned OFF and ON. There is virtually no difference observed since the monitor's screen controls have been adjusted for proper Luminance (Brightness control) and White Point (RGB controls) without a calibration profile.

• 38. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

I am NOT suggesting to use Windows Calibration to produce a calibrated monitor.  I use X-rite for that, same as you.

I am suggesting to use Window Calibration to give Windows a kick to see if that is enough to make things work like they should, again.

• 39. Re: Color shift on exported JPEGs

Fair enough, but you said:

"Run through a Windows Calibration from Display Properties and create a new profile.  Then assign your old custom-generated profile and see if things work right."

If you make changes to your monitor's Brightness, Contrast, Color Temp, or any other controls the "old" monitor profile is no longer valid, correct? Non-color managed applications may now look correct (or better), but color-managed applications like LR will look incorrect (not better).

If the monitor calibrator's software does not have an 'Advanced' mode to allow setting the monitor's controls manually (i.e. calibrating) then your suggestion will work with one change:

1) "Run through a Windows Calibration from Display Properties and create a new profile."

2) Create a new monitor profile using the same "automated" mode in your calibration software and do NOT change any of the monitor's control settings (Brightness, Contrast, Color Temp, etc.)

Now color-manged and non-color managed applications should look a lot closer to each other, with the following caveat:

"This only works with standard gamut monitors and sRGB images. Wide gamut monitors will only display colors correctly in non-color managed apps if the image file is Adobe RGB, since that is is very close to the display's gamut."

1 2 Previous Next