8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 5:33 PM by Steve Grisetti

Demo - transitions

BWX

Why is is only allowing me to fade by 1 second during a transition?

Why can't I make a custom transition?

I punch in the number 0.25 seconds on a cross dissolve (video), but it doesn't change, it sticks at 1 second which is very long. I am trying to do things that are easy to do in free programs here.

Same for audio- 1 second, cannot go shorter, like I can in a free program called Windows Movie maker.

Also I cannot make a custom transition where the time is 0.25 seconds, for example. Or can I? I see nowhere to do that.

It is hard to figure out what is being blocked because it is a demo and what is grayed out because it is not available in the program even if i bought it, or if features would suddenly pop up if i purchased program.

I can see already that this seems very very limited, I have been using it for less than an hour.  It seems like there are no options to anything, and no custom transitions, and if you want to change it, you have to waste time punching in numbers every single time you use it.  Can that possibly be? I hope not, I heard good things.

• 1. Re: Demo - transitions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure why your custom duration isn't working. It always does for me.

What happens if you manually lengthen or shorten the length of the transition by dragging its length on your timeline?

• 2. Re: Demo - transitions
            BWX Level 1

Dragging works. So do I have to manually drag each transition with my cursor to make it shorter every single time I use a transition, when I just want a custom transition that is shorter to begin with?  I do not see where I can make that transition always be "0.25 seconds", for example, instead of 1 second. I'm dumbfounded.

• 3. Re: Demo - transitions
              BWX Level 1

Wow, so I am realizing things that take no time at all in other editors take FOREVER in Premiere, and also give you carpal tunnel while  manually dragging things around by the slimmest margin of pixels on the screen and resolution of your mouse.

No way to just "apply all" to all your transitions.

No time savers, no copy paste, no simple drag and drop. No custom anything. No right click edit anything. You have what you have and that' all you have.

Process for making a shorter than stock transition transition:

1)  move timeline.

2) Open transition menu pop up /  switch to video transitions.

3) Grab "transition"  

4) Drag transition to timeline.

5) Drop transition.

6) Close the annoying pop-up that pops up every time you do this even though it serves no purpose.

7) Grab the left side of the transition.

8) Drag the left side of the transition closer to center, by the pixel of your screen, and nth degree of you mouse's laser  resolution

9) Carefully guide the left side of the transition until the counter says 0.02 (or whatever).

10) Let go without moving mouse one tenth of one millimeter.

11) Grab right side of transition

12) Drag the right side of the transition closer to center, by the pixel of your screen, and nth degree of you mouse's laser  resolution

13) Carefully guide the right side of the transition until the counter says 0.02 (or whatever)

14)  Let go without moving mouse one tenth of one millimeter or you need to adjust it again.

15) repeat steps 1 -14 for audio portion of the transition.

30)  start next transition.

UHG!

In Free Windows Movie maker on Windows 7:

1) select "animation" tab..

2) Click on  "cross fade"

3) click on "duration" pull down.

4) Click 0.25 sec.

Go onto next split.

So.. uhhh...   Yeah Adobe wants you to spend countless hours playing some twisted "video game" that causes carpal tunnel syndrome to accomplish a task that takes the most basic free editor 2 seconds to complete. 

Other video editors can do a custom transition in a few clicks as well.  Just click on it or drag it to split and it is done.

So My first impression of Premiere Elements is that it will take 100 times the amount of time to edit a video with 30 transitions than it will in an editor that doesn't over complicate things in a ridiculously time consuming  way.

Unless I am missing something that I cannot find in any menu or option I have seen  in this program demo, this is a flaw I cannot overlook and I should just uninstall the demo and  buy something else.

• 4. Re: Demo - transitions
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One does not learn all the features in one weekend.

If you do want to learn Elements start on page 1 of the manual.

Default setting for a transition is 1 second

Put your playhead over the cut and hit ctrl+D.

For audio it is ctrl+shift+D.

If you want to make is shorter or longer just grab the handles on either side of the transition.

The keyboard shortcut only applies to the default transition set in Transitions.

By default its the Cross Dissolve (right click on any transition to change this: Set Selected as Default Transition).

• 5. Re: Demo - transitions

Multiple transitions:

make one to your liking, right click and copy (or ctrl+C)

page up (to the next cut) and ctrl+V.

• 6. Re: Demo - transitions
                    BWX Level 1

Screw that. Being forced to use and memorize dozens of keyboard shortcuts is ridiculous. It is called a GUI for a reason. There was nowhere to make a custom transition in the demo.

The program is ridiculously limited, so I uninstalled it and deleted my Adobe account. Terrible interface. Terribly limited.

The program is as bad as this forum, which is also terrible to use and navigate.

Nothing about either is user friendly or intuitive at all.

• 7. Re: Demo - transitions

Have A Nice Day!

• 8. Re: Demo - transitions
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Don't know why the program isn't working on your system the way it does on mine, BWX. On mine, setting the length of a transition is as simple as typing the duration into the box that opens when you add the transition.

But at least you found out it didn't fit your workflow while you were using the free trial. It saved you and all of us a lot of headaches later.