3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 10:41 AM by andyb14636842

Export hangs when processing large number of images

andyb14636842

Hi, I'm having trouble exporting large numbers of images.  I have about 14000 images to export, and after I click export, there is no noticeable action taken by light room.  When testing with ~5000 images the "preparing to export" dialog opens after 5 minutes.

Is this normal? I feel like this is a very basic feature of light room, and should work regardless of the number of images being exported.

• 1. Re: Export hangs when processing large number of images
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi andyb,

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

What is your System Specification?

I have about 14000 images to export,and after I click export, there is no noticeable action taken by light room.

Lightroom first prepares images for export.It depends upon your system how much it takes.

Does it opens the Export dialog if you export 50-200 images?

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Export hangs when processing large number of images
            DdeGannes Level 5

In the export process Lightroom has to render the original file and apply all the edit functions you have applied to the image, then save to the destination location you have chosen. Apart from the actual rendering of the files, things that can hamper the process are disk space at the selected location, available RAM of your system, Internal Disk, External Drive via USB, NAS etc. If it takes ,say, 4 seconds per image the 14,000 images would take over 15 hours.

The better option would be to have several export processes running at the same time in batches of a few hundred.

• 3. Re: Export hangs when processing large number of images
              andyb14636842 Level 1

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Akash: I'm running lightroom cc 2015.3 on a fast windows desktop.  Exporting several hundred images works fine, the program just seems to hang for an amount of time proportional to the number of images I'm exporting before giving any feedback.

DdeGannes: I think it is probably as you say, a small constant delay for each image adding up to astronomical laggyness.  Do you know any way of automating the small batches approach you mentioned?

Overall I feel there should be a way to setup an export job, and have it run overnight.  As it is now, the process is: 1: tell lightroom to export, 2: wait 5 hours till "preparing to export" finishes, 3: click any popup boxes, 4: go home and let photos export over night.