4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 3:48 PM by Dan Ramirez

How to Make a Cartoon Body Turn

LeslieSOsborne Level 1

I have fairly simple characters that I am working on for Character Animator. Today I am about to build the "Cartoon Head Turns" via the instructions in the tutorial included in the tutorial section.

My characters require body turns. Can I create, as one would do for head turns; +Front (a!), +Side Right (s!), +3/4 Right(d!), +Side Left(f!), +3/4 Side Left(g!) coordinates to create body turns for the puppet? What other options do I have to for creating body turns?

As a reference I am including the Head Turn video as a reference. Thank you, in advance, for your help.

How to Make a Cartoon Head Turn - YouTube

• 1. Re: How to Make a Cartoon Body Turn
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want the head and body to turn independently, what you have to do, essentially, is duplicate the head turn groups into the body group (example as in Wendigo), replace the head artwork with body art, and also replace the triggers. And delete whatever sub groups you don't need -- like the mouth, eyes, etc.

Or, more simply, you could make the head and body turn simultaneously by just replacing the head layer artwork with total body art.

• 2. Re: How to Make a Cartoon Body Turn
            KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Here are two examples, based on the Wendigo puppet. The artwork was done off hand, just to show the different behaviors. These are gif files, and you may have to click each one to see the action.

The first is head and body turning independently. The second has the body turn and head turn changing together.

Body and Head Turning_002.gif       Body and Head Turning.gif

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to Make a Cartoon Body Turn
              LeslieSOsborne Level 1

Most excellent! Thank you for sharing the GIF files.

• 4. Re: How to Make a Cartoon Body Turn
                Dan Ramirez Adobe Employee

While the behavior is called "Head Turner", it's really just a way to choose between layers using the webcam and your face. Just name your layers accordingly and, if the Head Turner behavior is applied, you will switch artwork when you turn your head.

If you want independant control of the head from the body, you could put a "Head Turner" behavior on the head, AND on the body. By disabling the "arm for record" button for one of the behaviors will allow you to control the other one independently. If both are enabled, both puppets would be simultaneously controlled.

1 person found this helpful