4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 1:45 PM by jasonk78807805

Wanting back the old Buttons from the Common Library.

jasonk78807805

Animate CC Component Buttons (Ctrl-F7) are nothing like the Flash CS4 v10.0 buttons from the Common Library that I liked and was accustomed to working with.

The discrepancy is terrible.  I cannot work with or use these new buttons.

I do not want to buy/license the fancy buttons  from the store. Not yet, anyway. 

How do I obtain backward compatibility with the components I am familiar with, the nice old buttons from the Common Library of CS4?

Is it your idea of good business to take useful, responsive  components away from the programming community that invests in their use?

• 1. Re: Wanting back the old Buttons from the Common Library.
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I looked at the components in CS6 and in Animate, and they seem to be the same. The Flex component is gone, but all of the other ones seem to be there.

• 2. Re: Wanting back the old Buttons from the Common Library.
            jasonk78807805 Level 1

I appreciate the response! Window->Common Libraries->Buttons, is gone in Animate.   Seems to be replaced by checking Windows->Components.  I see button. Customizing it to look and behave the way I want is my problem.  Nothing is familiar. Even its instances timeline looks different.  The way properties are edited is different. Instances are by default of type Movie Clip, which can be changed to Button, but not permanently without a warning.  It's not enough that button be there, but that it can readily be worked with.

Temporarily solved by a workaround... by File->Import->Open External Library and importing buttons.fla from the CS4 subdir tree.  Instances correctly of type button. I can work with these.

I guess my complaint is now about implementation changes in the new version.   I'm sure there are many benefits to this new version but they shouldn't come at the cost of familiar functionality of minor components.

Thanks for answering the question though, Colin. 

• 3. Re: Wanting back the old Buttons from the Common Library.
              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I figured it out I think. Those buttons have AS2 code in them, which was dropped after CS6. Opening the Buttons.fla will let you see the graphics, but to use them as components you would need to recreate all the AS2 code as AS3.

It is possible to dig into the AS3 components and change the graphics, but they are complex things that are easy to mess up.

• 4. Re: Wanting back the old Buttons from the Common Library.
                jasonk78807805 Level 1

Excellent.   Thank you for helping me find these.   Even the instance timeline is there.  Things are looking more familiar now.