10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 2:11 PM by ECBowen

Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?

hferderber Level 1

I purchased a 2015 Mac Book Pro 15" retina display,

MacBook Pro 2.5GHz quad-core Intel i7 with Retina display

16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory

Intel Iris Pro Graphics and AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
      512GB PCIe-based flash storage

When I open Premiere Pro CC the fan comes on right away.

If I play a timeline with media from my internal drive or even media from a thunderbolt drive and the fan gets louder.

Even if I create a timeline of just Bars and Tone from the new item menu the fan gets louder.

On my old Mac Book Pro which was 3 years old, the fan never came on,

so I don't understand why on a newer more powerful Mac Book Pro the fan would come on?

I'm using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration(open GL)

Am I doing something wrong with my setup?

Thanks

Harry Ferderber

• 1. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
          Corporate Cat Level 1

I'm having the same issue recently with exact same spec Macbook Pro when using all of the Adobe CC apps. I'm wondering if it was a bad update released?

• 2. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
            hferderber Level 1

So what have you done? Do you work with the fan on all the time? I'm thinking of exchanging my Mac Book Pro for another Mac Book Pro. I bought mine refurbished. I can't imagine all the new Mac Book Pro's have the same issue.

• 3. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
              IvanTheEditor Level 1

Same exact thing happening here!! There is actually another discussion already on the CEPHtmlEngine issue which causes the fans to kick off into high gear but unfortunately the solutions suggested in that thread didn't work for me so I keep looking... What did you end up doing? Did you return your MacBook Pro? Did you get a new one? If you did, is the new one better? I wonder if I just got a defective one or if it's Adobe that's causing this? I just got mine yesterday and I spent $2,800 on it!!! This is an insanely high price to pay for something that doesn't do what I purchased it for... Please help!!

• 4. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Please download a utility that monitors CPU temps. What are the average temps when launching Premiere with the GPU acceleration on.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
                  IvanTheEditor Level 1

These are the temperatures and fans' speeds when I'm not using PP:

no pp.png

This is what happens 30 seconds after I press play in PP:

with pp.png

Is that what you were asking for, Eric?

• 6. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?

Yes that is exactly what I required. The Temps for not using Adobe are exactly what they should be for relatively idle as in low load on the CPU ie 40 to 50C range. This means the fan profiles which are set by the bios and firmware for the shell are in low RPM mode since the heat gen is low. However 199F is 92C which is where most of the mobile chips are set to throttle down due to heat. Also most laptop manufacturers set the fan profiles to high RPM ie Max RPM in the 60 to 75C range. So your CPU load is either high or the CPU is getting to hot to quickly for a low load which points to a cooling problem. What is your CPU load in Adobe when the temps are in the 190F range.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
                      IvanTheEditor Level 1

Hey Eric, thanks for the explanation!

I see you prefer to use C rather than F so I switched it over to C. Here you go:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.32.44 PM.png

As you can see both fans are maxed out and they're so loud that I can barely hear the audio when I'm editing. Forget about any sound work like cleaning up audio or doing audio levels at the end of my project. Keep in mind that this is happening barely 30 seconds after pressing play in Premiere Pro and I'm using simple 1080p H264 footage with only a lumetri color effect on the clips. Nothing else. I haven't even started getting creative in Premiere Pro. I tried doing the same thing in FCP X and it was handling it very well so I know it's not the laptop not being able to handle playing those files with a color effect on them. It must be something with Premiere Pro.

Thanks again for helping me out!

• 8. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?

The heat though is decided by the CPU load which according to your screen pic is averaging 60 to 70% which is high enough to generate considerable heat and put the fans into high profile which is max RPM's. Those temps definitely put the fan into high RPM unless the fan profiles are not working right. The considerations here though are the 30 seconds in and only 60 to 70% load. The fan is not dissipating the heat fast enough to keep the heat from just climbing or the heat sink is not moving the heat off the chip fast enough. I would suggest taking it to the Apple store and have them repaste the CPU and clean out the fan. Make sure that is not hindering the cooling efficiency.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?
                          IvanTheEditor Level 1

That's exactly what I plan on doing. However, my concern is that since this is a brand new laptop that I just got two days ago and it's already having hardware problems should I just return it and get a new one?

• 10. Re: Fan stays on in Premiere Pro CC on new Mac Book Pro Retina Display?

Well that is definitely odd on a new laptop but the thermal pad may not be making the best contact with the CPU. You may have this problem with the next one unless this is a refurbished unit in which case it definitely makes sense they need to repaste and clean. If a new unit then the thermal pads they are using atleast in that production run may be the problem or not dense enough to make good contact with the heatsink. If they will give you a new one then it never hurts to see how well the cooling is on that. Keep in mind the downside to these thinner profile shells are the limited space for proper cooling so the engineers really push the cooling efficiency to the limit and use throttling with high RPM fans to maintain cooling while using the aluminum shell to dissipate heat. It doesn't take much to push the heat efficiency out of range such as a thermal pad not thick enough to create good contact on those production runs. One of the reasons we don't use thermal pads besides the lack of control over the substance used in the pad for heat transfer and how well it holds up over time. One last note I forgot to mention. Sometimes the thermal pads can be too thick and they start acting as insulators instead of heat transfers which traps more heat on the chip. The pad may be too thick as well instead of not dense enough. Another reason to use paste.

Eric
                            ADK