6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 3:23 AM by Ann Bens

Title clip not transparent when editing any longer

David_F

TitleEdit.jpg

I am using Premiere elements 13 on Windows 7.

Suddenly the behavior in one of my projects has changed.

Normally when I have a clip on the video 1 track and then I add a text/title clip on the video 2 track, I can edit the text/title clip and I can still see the clip from the video 1 track.

In other words, transparency is preserved when editing a text/title clip.  This helps me position and align the text directly on the clip below.

I have never had a problem in the past but this morning when I added a new title/text clip and tried to edit it, it was no longer transparent.  The areas that should have been transparent were replaced by a gray cross hatch pattern.  Now I can no longer see the clip on video 1 track to precisely position my text,

This was not a problem with this project earlier.  Now none of the titles are transparent when editing, even the ones that were previously.  I tried rendering, saving, closing Premier and even rebooting the computer but this unusual behavior persists. I have made no changes to any settings in the project. And transparency still works with text/titles in other projects.

What could have caused this behavior?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I have never seen a title suddenly become opaque.

It's hard to tell from your screen cap what's going on on your timeline. Is the title on Video 2 and selected? It seems unusually brief.

What happens if you leave the Title Adjustments area and then reopen the title in Title Adjustments?

What happens if you lengthen the title or move it to another spot on your timeline?

What happens if you just delete that title and make a new one?

BTW, have you gone to the nVidia or ATI site and ensured you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? You'd be surprised how many of these types of issues are resolved with a simple graphics driver update.

• 2. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
            David_F Level 1

Thanks Steve

It's hard to tell from your screen cap what's going on on your timeline. Is the title on Video 2 and selected? It seems unusually brief.

Yes. Title is on video 2 timeline and is selected. It is a default title, recently added, and is set at default time of 5 sec seconds.

What happens if you leave the Title Adjustments area and then reopen the title in Title Adjustments?

Transparency still not available

What happens if you lengthen the title or move it to another spot on your timeline?

What happens if you just delete that title and make a new one?

BTW, have you gone to the nVidia or ATI site and ensured you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? You'd be surprised how many of these types of issues are resolved with a simple graphics driver update.

I went to nVidia site and updated my driver. When I rebooted the machine and opened Premiere and played with the titles they were still opaque.  However, within about 5 minutes they were transparent again. All the titles displayed as they should.

But this morning the problem has returned. All titles in this project are opaque.

To make matters worse, now sometimes when I select the title clip in Video Track 2 and double click it, instead of opening the Applied Effects, the title opens in a video monitor like it would if I double clicked on a MOV or MP4 file.

Two of my projects exhibit this behavior, others do not.

I checked Adobe for updates to Premiere Elements 13 and there are none.

Any idea what could be causing this bizarre and inconsistent behavior?   Are there any diagnostics I can run to test for corruption?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Restart computer and open Elements while holding down ctrl+alt+shift.

See if that will work.

• 4. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
                David_F Level 1

Thanks Ann but what is supposed to happen when I do this?

For me it opened an Adobe Premier Properties dialog box. The only property that looked like it might have an impact was "Run as Administrator" which I selected,  However, this does not appear to have had a effect. The title file is still opaque in  the Applied Affects mode.

• 5. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
                  David_F Level 1

Here is some followup information on my issue.

The problem of the opaque test/titles appears to be related to the media file.  I have 6 MP4 files that I added to six different projects.  3 of those projects now have opaque test/titles in applied effects, the other three do not,

I created a project and imported all 6 MP4 files and then added a text/title to each. I got the same result in Applied Effects with the combined project as I did with the individual projects; 3 were opaque and 3 were transparent. Same clips.

When I import some of the files I get a message:  "Smartfix: Fix quality problems in clips?"  If I select 'Yes' I will get opaque text/title screens.  However, if I select "No" the text titles will be transparent.  There is one file I can choose either Yes or No with no apparent effect (i.e., the text titles are transparent under either option.)

All of the MP4 files were created in an identical manner:  they were screen captures using Movavi Screen capture app with a 1366x768 resolution.

Thus it appears I can avoid the problem of opaque text titles by always selecting "No' when prompted to "Fix Quality Problems" on import,

But I still do not understand the cause of the problem.  And more importantly, I do not understand why the text/titles were originally working properly (transparent) and then they suddenly became opaque. These projects are over a week old and there are many hours of work in each one.  Deleting and re-importing the MP4 files will basically  mean starting over, something I am reluctant to do until I better understand what happened.  Even if I re-import and choose the 'No' option, there is no way to be sure that the inconsistent behavior will not return.

Please let me know if anyone can identify the nature and cause of my problem.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Title clip not transparent when editing any longer
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As these files are screencaps there is also a chance they have variable framerate (not bitrate) which PE does not like either.

Might want to convert them with HandBrake to constant framerate first and reimport or Replace footage in your project.

ctrl+shift+alt resets the program to default settings.