3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 8:58 AM by ESAXMM

Building a new PC

ESAXMM Level 1

I've been building PC for Industry for over 20 years. However I've been out of the industry for nearly 10 years. My last job was rolling out XP. I've been asked to build a new PC specifically for Premiere CC. It will be an edit suit for an indie film to be shot this summer. They will be using some 4K files but the final film will be 1080. I'm not familiar with current hardwear so could someone suggest a good specification to do the job. I'm not totally convinced Windows 10 will be good enough for the Os. I've heard stories that Premiere doesn't run that well. But we have Windows 7 64bit. We have a budget of about £3000 or $4500.Without a monitor. Any suggestions. This needs to be a edit suit. Not a gaming platform

I've had one quote

But not convinced just looks like a top end gaming machine

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII HERO: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0

Memory (RAM) 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX TITAN X - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR

Ready!

1st Hard Disk 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk 4TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD4003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

3rd Hard Disk 4TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD4003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

4th Hard Disk 4TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD4003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

• 1. Re: Building a new PC
          cvid01 Level 4

This should probable be in the Hardware forum: Hardware Forum

A moderator may move it; if not, ask the same thing in the Hardware Forum

Just a thought: you may want to at least have your C: drive on an SSD, preferably Samsung 850 pro 512 GB. Just a thought.

• 2. Re: Building a new PC
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

here is a recent thread, you might find similar to your situation.  New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

you are right about the machine you listed, its for gaming.

the main thing about cpu's today is that intel has just about hit a brick wall with speeds and has been turning to core counts to make up for speed improvements. therefore you need to consider a cpu with more core's for good performance, such as 6 core, 8 core, or more. the i7-5820k or 5930k 6 core will be good for some 4k work, but the 8 core i7-5960x will work better for difficult 4k media/projects. those i7's are on the "extreme" platform, using the x99 motherboards. these have somewhat lower default clock speeds, like 3.5ghz etc, but overclocking will get the most out of them.

several folks here still use win7 with good results.

unless there is a special need for the 12gb titan x, most people do fine with the gtx 980 ti 6gb. it performs somewhat close to the titan x, but is alot cheaper. if the project/timeline is mostly HD, a gtx 970 should be powerful enough.

for the power supply, 850w gold is good, but gold or better 1k watt is better for overclocking. evga gs, g2, ps, p2, and t2, seasonic x and platinum series, or any gold rated XFX brand are good options. the corsair RMi or RMx are ok, but the RM series without the i or x are not good models. corsair AX series is also good.

all-in-one liquid cooling is better for max overclocking, but if doing light to medium overclocking an air cooler is better. something like the noctua d15 will be quieter (no pump noise), no risk of leaking fluids, and if it breaks just needs a new fan vs whole new cooling system.

for memory, ddr4 2400mhz or higher in a set of 4 sticks.

for storage, there gets to be many options.

if they will be using after effects and disk cache or premiere preview renders, it will be best to have a dedicated ssd for that.

were you planning on building a raid with the hdd's or just running separate? for different uses or all for media?

also, "enterprise" hdd's are a bit more expensive but also more reliable and better for raid.

if they know roughly how much space they will need for project files, a large ssd or two will perform much better for the media drive(s) than hdd's.

• 3. Re: Building a new PC
              ESAXMM Level 1

Thanks for that. Good reply thanks again