6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 11:49 AM by sandipr19776926

Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it

Duncantho Level 1

I've asked this question occasionally over the past few years but have never receive an answer that works. Perhaps by now there's a solution…

I have an Epson R2280 printer, which can handle sizes up to 13x19" (Super B). Sometimes I want to print on smaller sheets, say US Letter. I choose US Letter in (OS X) Page Setup. I select Lightroom template "(1) 8x10". Lightroom's ruler shows 11 inches on one edge, 8 ½ inches on the other. I size the image appropriately. What comes out of the printer is my sheet of US Letter with just the top left-hand side of the image — and lots of white margin to the left and right of it. What remains of the photo is scaled to the correct size but it's not in the right place. Imagine a centered print on a sheet of 13x19 that has subsequently had the bottom and the right-hand side cut away.

I've had this problem since LR4. I now have LR6 and it's still there. I've moved on from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. (Anything beyond ML messes with my Firewire HDs.) I've followed suggestions to create a custom template. No difference. I've printed to PDF, which presumably bypasses the Epson print software. I get an image centered in a 13x19 space.

I always end up exporting to Photoshop and printing from there, as PS does what I tell it, but that's a pain. Epson figures the problem must be with Lightroom, seeing as Photoshop works.

It occurs to me some Lightroom library file may be corrupt. But which one and how to replace it? I have reset the preferences using Adobe's instructions. It makes no difference.

I'd really appreciate help.

• 1. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

I do not use Lightroom to print but just to provide some hints. As a starter Lightroom is not Photoshop and functions differently. There are lots of free tutorials on Adobe TV that will assist.

Lightroom does not require you to resize the image file prior to printing if you just crop to the desired attributes i.e 13x19, 8x10, 2x3 etc Lightroom will resize to the required size for printing to your printer at the appropriate dpi. So you can print directly from a raw file, Lightroom will apply all your edits and send to your printer.

Pictures can convey a lot of info without having to go into a lot of detail.

At the lower left of the Print dialog there is a button to do your "Printer set up" this is the first step. Then move to the right side panel to make the other adjustments. See the screen captures.

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.34.07 PM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.45.56 PM copy.jpg

• 2. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
            Duncantho Level 1

Thanks for your reply, DdeGannes.

You are correct as to how it should work. Unfortunately in my case those steps don't do it. Nor does changing templates, creating custom templates or checking the Print drive dialog. Lightroom insists I want 13x19.

Regards,

Duncan.

• 3. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
              whsprague Level 4

Last time I had that problem, I had to change the paper size in the printer driver.  Once both the printer and LR agreed on the print size it worked. 

• 4. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
                Duncantho Level 1

You deserve a prize, whsprague (and in hindsight so does DdeGannes although I did not grasp what his screenshots were conveying). I'm not sure that the need for agreement on size is a matter for LR, which deals in aspect ratios, but you got me thinking. LR obviously should ideally agree as to the ratio in the Develop module, i.e. 8.5 x 11 for an 8.5" x 11" sheet. But the key agreement must be between Page Setup's Paper Size and the Print dialog's Destination Paper Size settings.

I must have convinced myself I had the right settings in Page Setup. And when I read over past correspondence I have specifically mentioned having selected the right paper size in Page Setup. A couple of years ago I even posted: "Page Setup is for US Letter but LR4 (as I was using then) prints at 13x19". Anyway, it works now.

There is what seems to me an oddity to LR's UI. Both the Print Settings… and Printer… buttons launch the same Print dialog box. Why two buttons, differently named and on opposite sides of the screen to do the same thing?

DdeGannes referred to a "Printer set up" button to the left of the Print dialog (I now think he means Page Setup in the Print module). With so many buttons — Page Setup…, Print Settings…, Print and Printer… — I see ample room for confusion, at least on my part.

Anyway thanks, both, for your help.

• 5. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
                  whsprague Level 4

Duncantho wrote:

You deserve a prize, whsprague .....

There is what seems to me an oddity to LR's UI. Both the Print Settings… and Printer… buttons launch the same Print dialog box. Why two buttons, differently named and on opposite sides of the screen to do the same thing?

You gave me a prize!  Even though I try, nobody ever marks my suggestions as "Correct" and you did.

I agree on the oddity.  My conclusion was that Adobe is trying to accommodate a variety of printers and some need some extra buttons.   I put it in the category with many things from Photoshop and Lightroom that I can ignore until I need them.

Thanks for the credit!  It appears that it bumped me from being a one star person to a two star!  Whooohooo!

• 6. Re: Lightroom thinks I'm printing 13x19 regardless what I tell it
                    sandipr19776926

Thank you. It is quite explanatory.