11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 2:10 PM by RoninEdits

New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks

JackHaston

Built a new video editing PC.  We followed the idea of this video: How to build a computer for Video Editing - $1,400 edition - YouTube

All film is in HD with an HMC-150, 60D and 6D.  No 4k stuff yet.  Would like to take advantage of the Adobe Create Suite and our SSD/HD configurations.  We stripped the hard drives via Windows.

I need to become very aware of where I put my files on this new PC and would like suggestions based on this setup as to how to setup the preferences for Premier Pro CC 2015 primarily.  Maybe the other products have similar setups?

INTEL BOX INTEL CORE I7-4790K

ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 1150 ATX

PNY QUADRO K2200 PCIE

2 X CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D3 1600 VGN CL11 (32GB total)

1 X SAMSUNG E 500GB 850 EVO SSD - Windows 7 Professional and Adobe Creative Suite

2 X WD 1TB 3.5 MAINSTRM BLUE HD - RAID 0 - (E:\ Scratch)

2 X WD 2TB 3.5 MAINSTRM BLUE HD - RAID 0 - (G:\ Media)

CORSAIR H100I GTX LIQUID COOLER

EVGA GQ 750W 80+G SM ATX PSU

Here is how we setup one of his first projects on the new PC.  All comments welcome and thanks in advance.

project-settings.PNG

• 1. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

that guy from the video is a good guy, but amd cpu's currently aren't optimal for adobe software. so its good you went intel, and the i7-4790k is a good cpu.

not much has changed for guidance with drive setup's, here is a chart with examples. Disk Setup

that chart was written for hdd's, so using ssd's can offer slightly alternative setups. instead of placing premiere's db cache on the previews/export drive, its ok to leave it on the fast ssd with windows/apps/pagefile. the screenshot you show with the scratch disk/previews looks fine.

• 2. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
            JackHaston Level 1

Thank you very much.  We went between his video and another guy for the setup and hardware.  Then we were talked into bumping up to the PNY QUADRO at Micro Center!

• 3. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks

your hardware choices wouldn't be normal for around these parts, but may serve you well. quadro's are good for 10bit display output and some do need/use that, but otherwise they are very expensive gtx cards when it comes to adobe's software. the gtx 950 or 960 is alot faster and cheaper, good for HD projects.

• 4. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not like your double RAID 0 setup.  I do hope you have some regular backup/archiving plan.  You can tell from the use of hard disk drives that this is a several year old design.  Today it is all about SSD's and using hard disk drives just for backup and archiving.  At a minimum break up one RAID 0 and use the other RAID 0 for all your project files.  Then you will have two individual drives for archiving and backup.

And yes you can tell the MicroCenter person knew nothing about video editing when they sold you that Quadro.K2200, it is a lousy old PCI Express 2.0 card with only 640 CUDA cores when you could of had a GTX 970 for less money a full PCIe 3.0 card with 1664 CUDA cores.

• 5. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                  JackHaston Level 1

Damn, we had a GTX 970 in our cart and two techs talked us into the Quadro.  I did express a few times this would be a video editing machine and not a gamer PC.  Even with all of that the new system renders a project in 2-3 minutes that used to take 40 minutes.  We do have a backup running every 3 hours to WD MyMirror in another room.  That backs up the G:\ Media RAID 0.  I might add another 4TB HD to the system to back it up there as well and more often.

• 6. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                    JackHaston Level 1

If I can exchange the video card, what would you guys suggest?  Are all GTX 970 the same?

• 7. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks

if you want budget HD, the gtx 950 is fine for most. the gtx 960 4gb is a bit faster and opens up more room for starting with 4k media. the gtx 970 4gb is good for 4k projects. they all scale pretty well for price to performance, its only the gtx 980 that breaks that scale. the faster the card the better it will handle more gpu effects and lumetri color, and the 4gb memory helps with 4k media/projects. you don't need to worry about any versions for performance, they will operate basically the same in adobe's software. some versions have different fan configurations for quieter operation or blower style fans that help exhaust the heat out of the case.

to expand on storage setups, if you don't need alot of space for projects, a single ssd would be as fast as 2 or 3 hdd's in raid.

that would look like this, (1) 250gb ssd for os/apps, (1) 250-500gb ssd for cache/previews, (1) 500-1tb+ ssd for projects/media.

another new setup is possible, if capacity allows, with the even faster samsung 950 m.2 pcie ssd.

(1) 250gb ssd for os/apps, (1) 512gb samsung 950 pro for cache/previews/media/projects.

your motherboard m.2 slot doesn't appear to support x4/ultra 32gb, but may still work with an m.2 to pcie x4 adapter card into the second pcie 3.0 x16 slot.

• 8. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JackHaston wrote:

If I can exchange the video card, what would you guys suggest?  Are all GTX 970 the same?

Probably just shoot for a good warranty and there does not seem to be much advantage for other features other than proper outputs for your planned usage.

• 9. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                          JackHaston Level 1

Thanks everyone.  You've been extremely helpful.

• 10. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks
                            JackHaston Level 1

JackHaston wrote:

INTEL BOX INTEL CORE I7-4790K

ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 1150 ATX

PNY QUADRO K2200 PCIE         Nvidia GTX 970

2 X CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D3 1600 VGN CL11 (32GB total)

1 X SAMSUNG E 500GB 850 EVO SSD - Windows 7 Professional and Adobe Creative Suite

2 X WD 1TB 3.5 MAINSTRM BLUE HD - RAID 0 - (E:\ Scratch)

2 X WD 2TB 3.5 MAINSTRM BLUE HD - RAID 0 - (G:\ Media)

CORSAIR H100I GTX LIQUID COOLER

EVGA GQ 750W 80+G SM ATX PSU

Just wondering what some of you might change in this setup, including the raid.  We've run into some situations where while in Premiere Pro the PC shuts down without notice or Premiere will freeze.  So far it's been mainly when attempting to render/encode/export a larger project.  Not sure if we need more resources or not.  I'm not opposed to swapping out the motherboard and chipset, which would probably allow more ram.

Some have mentioned not liking the Raid setup...should they be SSD and backed up?

And in case our backup can improve, currently we have RealtimeFileSync running at start up.  Any changes on the Media drive are immediately made to a HD backup on the PC.  Every 3 hours a the backup HD is replicated to a WD MyMirror, which has been changed just to be storage.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: New Video Editing PC - how to setup scratch and media disks

nothing stands out as needing an upgrade for your setup with editing HD material...  if the computer is turning off, then its probably a hardware issue. if the computer is only turning off during extended high cpu use, like you mention with exporting large projects, it might be the cpu overheating. you can check the cpu temp with core temp or real temp to make sure its not overheating and turning off the computer. you can also check the fans, to make sure they are working. if the cpu is overclocked you might want to set it back to stock or lower the overclock a bit to see if the computer will run stable. there is stress testing software like prime95, that will push the cpu and memory hard and can help verify the system is stable or not. also software like memtest86 can help find if a stick of ram is bad.

as far as replacing the motherboard, the only worth-while upgrade right now is jumping to a 6 core i7. which will require a new motherboard, cpu, and ram (around $700-800). a newer version of the 4 core i7 of your current computer would have very limited benefit as intel has hit a brick wall with performance gains.

for your storage setup, a ssd might help make the editing timeline slightly more responsive. the higher the media bitrate and if using multiple video tracks (like multi-cam), the more benefit a faster drive like a ssd will have. replacing the hdd's with a ssd(s) can also be costly if needing large capacity for active projects. if you are fine with the performance you have now, then using the raid hdd setup is fine.

for your backup, i would see if RealtimeFileSync can be set to versioning changed files and/or skip deleted files. that way if some files are accidentally deleted or get corrupted on the media drive RealtimeFileSync won't delete or corrupt them on the backup drive.