2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 12:32 PM by Ann Bens

16:9 Video Previewing and Exporting as a 4:3 Compressed Video Premiere Elements 14

ajscam

I have been trying to edit a video I took on a Cannon VIXIA HV30 and recorded imported using Windows Movie Maker because Premiere Elements doesn't import via firewire. The imported video is 16:9 when I view it but, when I add it to Premiere Elements, it looks compressed. When I export the edited video as 1920 x 1080p, there are black lines on the edges of the video. Can anyone help me get the edited video in 16:9, or let me edit the video in 16:9?

• 1. Re: 16:9 Video Previewing and Exporting as a 4:3 Compressed Video Premiere Elements 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure how and in what format MovieMaker captures your video, but it's apparently not in a format that feeds neatly into Premiere Elements. (In the future, I'd recommend you use the free download WinDV to capture your miniDV. It captures your video as DV-AVI, the perfect format for editing in Premiere Elements.)

That said, assuming you're editing widescreen standard definition video, open a New Project and, on the New Project panel, click Settings. Select the DV Widescreen settings then, back on the New Project panel, check the option to Force Settings on you project.

Now add your media files to your project. Right-click on each clip in the Project Assets panel and select Interpret Footage. On the Interpret Footage panel, select Conform To and set it to DV Widescreen. That should load your video correctly and not squished.

And, as I said, in the future use WinDV to capture your video and you won't have to mess with the Interpret Footage settings. The video will just load right in.

• 2. Re: 16:9 Video Previewing and Exporting as a 4:3 Compressed Video Premiere Elements 14
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your camera is a hdv camera (1440x1080 1.33) best is to use  HDVSplit  to capture your footage.

Import footage into PE and drag a clip into the timeline to force the correct settings to match the clips.