19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 7:16 PM by Kevin-Monahan Branched from an earlier discussion.

I am currently struggling with this issue: can't purge RAM

ebluBeta Level 1

I am currently struggling with this issue. I want to find the person responsible drag him to my activity monitor, hold his head right in front of it and yell: DO YOU SEE IT NOW?

no apps running (i have quit AE CC2015, with the hopes of regaining my ram). Already run the purge command. 24 gigabytes of ram inaccessible... being used by NOTHING, but still unusable.

ADOBE! YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE BUG IN YOUR SOFTWARE.

• 1. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

eBlueBeta,

ADOBE! YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE BUG IN YOUR SOFTWARE.

Report it here.

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
            ebluBeta Level 1

Kevin,

i have repeatedly reported it for every version since CS6. What do you think will change if I report it again?

• 3. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Hi,

This is the support forum. I do not have anything to do with planning bug fixes or new features. That's why you have to file a bug report. Sorry I can't help you solve the issue outright.

Regards,

Kevin

• 4. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                ebluBeta Level 1

Yes. I know all of that. I HAVE submitted multiple bug reports.

the issue is entirely ignored. Since CS6.

• 5. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                  martinc13962311 Level 1

Hey guys, to be fair to the Adobe guys on this occasion they have commented on this. They are working on it but due to the limited resources and complexity of what they are doing it will take time. I suggest we should all lobby Adobe as a professional group and try to find a more constructive way forward for AE. I would also add we are having a lot of issues from the Mac OS side of work flows. Especially with SANS and general gui speeds and RAM issues!

I feel the frustration... It just takes too long to address issues in AE. I hated fcp x but using that on the new Mac hardware shows how good things could be!

• 6. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                    martinc13962311 Level 1

We are starting to test Fusion but to be honest we will struggle to get freelancers in the short term...

Net rendering is amazing in Fusion...

• 7. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                      martinc13962311 Level 1

There has been a complete breakdown on here between users and the AE team... Its out of hand now...

• 8. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Yes. I know all of that. I HAVE submitted multiple bug reports.

the issue is entirely ignored. Since CS6.

I apologize for the continuing issue. If you have submitted bug reports in the past, you've done all you can, and the team definitely knows about the issue as they read every single report and request.

The After Effects team tends to prioritize bug fixes in the order of the volume of bug reports, so the only thing we can do now is encourage others to file bug reports on the same issue. I know it's frustrating that we don't respond to many bug reports as we just don't have the time, but trust me, we do consider every one.

Unfortunately, complaining about the issue gets minimal traction on the forums since it's chiefly user to user based and has only sporadic participation from our engineering staff. Not telling you what to do or to minimize your issue, that's just the facts.

Sure, you can complain here, but the product team might not see your complaint here, while they will read a bug report that is directed toward them.

With that said, I'll see what I can do about this issue in the next tech meeting I have with the team.

Thanks,
                        Kevin

• 9. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Hi Martin,

There has been a complete breakdown on here between users and the AE team... Its out of hand now...

I would not expect too much participation between users and the After Effects product team on the forums as we are chiefly a user to user based forum. We do our best, but we don't have the bandwidth to react to every single post directed towards us. If you have a criticism of the product, or the way we do business, or anything that doesn't have something directly to do with troubleshooting a specific issue, again, a bug report is your best course of action.

If you would like to participate in this thread regarding solutions or workarounds, then that would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 10. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                            ebluBeta Level 1

complain? I'm validating.

I stopped complaining years ago, it does nothing. I have been systematically ignored.

what i am doing in this forum, is telling other users, that they are not crazy. That Yes, despite the complete lack of acknowledgement of any kind from adobe in over 4 years, After effects has a serious architectural issue.

• 11. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                              martinc13962311 Level 1

I hear you dude, but I can speak first hand it's a waste of energy. AE is not a big commercial interest for Adobe and now with subscription models in place it must be very hard to get decent investment for the dev team. Look at the size of the photoshop team... After effects also has such a varied user base working across so many disciplines everyone has different complaints and others have no issues at all. It's still great for vector motion graphics but even fcp x has better type tools now. We have just accepted the current situation and just limit motion graphics 2D jobs to AE.

To help you out in your current rage I can send you some good templates and scripts for making AE work a little better. Like using premiere to import image sequences and deal with playback, and a handy fcp x script which acts like dynamic link. We are also developing a simple renderer to use more than one core on AE renders... Slight caveat as I mentioned... There are some pretty shoddy issues with El Capitan at the moment too!

• 12. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                                ebluBeta Level 1

Martin,

I've been trying to figure out how those scripts might help me. I think I am one of those many different disciplines. Generally, I start and finish in AE.

Motion designer/ 3d animator by trade. I've made it my business to do seamless single camera animations, with hundreds of layers, driven by expressions.

work | ted devlin|design

take a look at the "xmas cards", the "this is what I can do for you", and the "midyear demo"

also take a look at the scripts I uploaded. my railCam, and the expressionKey is something special.

I have a multitude of issues with AE. this one is a show stopper. any time you have a lot of layers, the whole thing falls apart rather quickly.

but I need to be able to see what I'm doing while I am in AE, and if just doing that, crashes AE, and the machine itself, there's no cure unless the bug is fixed.

I have both Premier and FCPx, but if I'm in them, generally I'm not using AE.

appreciate the thought (if indeed you are speaking to me) though.

• 13. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                                  ebluBeta Level 1

Kevin,

when you prioritize your bug reports... why is a show stopper that affects EVERY mac user get placed anywhere besides at #1 ?

I am an unabashed power user. I make AE do magic. I've written plugins, scripts, and very elaborate expressions. I've essentially written my own particle systems using layers and expressions. I've created light trails in 3d, using motion blur, and layers that follow another layer, I've built a camera control system that actually makes the AE camera tolerable. I've worked in Projects that are 10,000 pixels wide. i do projection mapping, 3d compositing, 3d projection (red/ blue 3d glasses,) Spherical projections... I make amazing things.

I beat it up. I push the limits. So, i see the problems before most people. I am the canary. You can either be an Application that nobody thinks about using, or you can be an Application that people aspire to push to its limits. Your future. your choice.

The first step is to make sure it doesn't eat the machine it's installed on.

• 14. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Hello eblueBeta,

complain? I'm validating.

I stopped complaining years ago, it does nothing. I have been systematically ignored.

It's difficult when your bug reports don't get responded to. Unfortunately, we just don't have the time to respond to individual customers. Most of our broader communication to customers happens via the AE Team Blog.

After effects has a serious architectural issue.

And re-architecting for performance (which includes optimizing memory issues) is what we've been working on for over a year now. Sorry for any delays in fixing some of these issues. From what I understand, this issue will get a lot better once much of this work is completed. Until then, I apologize for these workflow issues. I do understand how frustrating they can be.

Thanks,
                                    Kevin

• 15. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Hi,

when you prioritize your bug reports... why is a show stopper that affects EVERY mac user get placed anywhere besides at #1 ?

I don't prioritize bug reports. The product manager does that. I only encourage people to file bugs so that their issues are known to the team.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 16. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                                        dissidently Level 1

argh, the ever burgeoning insider blame game. Stay classy, Kevin.

From your earlier post: "The After Effects team tends to prioritize bug fixes in the order of the volume of bug reports"

Now it's the product manager's job, in exclusivity?

And how does he divine his choices of priorities? Probably not the volume of bug reports, hey Kevin?

It's also possible to abstract and hear the real question: the "you" in "when you prioritise your bug reports" was a royal "you", as in "all of Adobe, particularly all that make decisions that actually impact users".

And, in that question, and your responses, the problem becomes more obvious:

1. Not enough programmers.

2. Not enough support staff for the programmers

3. Not nearly enough testing facilities (PEOPLE THAT ARE ACTUAL USERS)

4. Nobody with the confidence to make decisions without bureaucracy's impediments

5. Adobe making record profits regardless.

• 17. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.
                                          NordicFilmworks Level 1

Kevin:  None of us have been vulgar, nor threatening, nor any other issue other than we have been specific in our frustrations and we have been creative in our venting of this frustration.  Respect our right to have full and frank discussions, within a single thread.  Do not disperse our comments into dozens of bizarre locations in order to subjugate our frustrations.  I have begun taking video and image screenshots of the process and I will be updated Adobe customer service through a separate channel.  Consider this a respectful request and a notice of my archiving.

It appears Kevin could no longer handle the immense amount of users complaining together.  With a single voice.  We started to have an army of frustrated users.  He has taken several posts and dispersed them individually across the Premiere Pro - Video Lounge forums.

Paying customers of Adobe CC and AE.  You have every right, as MAC OSX users, to fully reply and write on the appropriate post which is located here:  After Effects Mac Issues

This is the correct section for "After Effects Mac Issues" and it makes sense we cleanly utilize a SINGLE THREAD to discuss such issues.  Kevin, please do not disperse and separate our posts into a sloppy mess on the Premiere forum.

• 18. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue.

Hi NFW,

Kevin:  None of us have been vulgar, nor threatening, nor any other issue other than we have been specific in our frustrations and we have been creative in our venting of this frustration.  Respect our right to have full and frank discussions, within a single thread.

I replied in another post. Basically, when you go off topic it detracts from the original post. If you wish to rant about After Effects, in general, those comments can be branched over here to the Video Lounge. Sorry that it was so disruptive for you.

I have no problem with frank discussions as long as they stay on topic and don't veer into territory which violates our community standards, which that post did a number of time. Sorry.

Do not disperse our comments into dozens of bizarre locations in order to subjugate our frustrations.

The Video Lounge is the usual place for off topic discussions. Sorry for the confusion.

I have begun taking video and image screenshots of the process and I will be updated Adobe customer service through a separate channel.  Consider this a respectful request and a notice of my archiving.

Sure. Again, sorry you are so upset about moving off topic conversation to the off topic forum. Feel free to contact us at Customer Service. These forums, and customer service issues are my direct responsibility (I'm in the Customer Service Dept., not the After Effects team). I can forward any complaint you have about my handling of this issue to my manager and it will be considered. You can send me a PM if you like.

However, I think you and others will get more traction on this actual issue with a bug report.  I do believe your specific issues are being addressed in the re-architecting of After Effects.

It appears Kevin could no longer handle the immense amount of users complaining together.  With a single voice.  We started to have an army of frustrated users.  He has taken several posts and dispersed them individually across the Premiere Pro - Video Lounge forums.

Actually, I take complaints all the time. Part of the job, I'm afraid. The actual reason was to help you keep your topic more focused so I could make sure we are addressing all the issues.

Again, the Video Lounge is the place for off topic discussions, not the After Effects troubleshooting forum. Sorry for the confusion.

Paying customers of Adobe CC and AE.  You have every right, as MAC OSX users, to fully reply and write on the appropriate post which is located here:  After Effects Mac Issues

Absolutely! We want to hear about your issues. Please stay on that topic.

This is the correct section for "After Effects Mac Issues" and it makes sense we cleanly utilize a SINGLE THREAD to discuss such issues.  Kevin, please do not disperse and separate our posts into a sloppy mess on the Premiere forum.

Sure! Feel free to discuss issues on that topic. Any further off topic discussions are subject to being moved to the Video Lounge, however.

Thanks for understanding.

Kevin

• 19. Re: I am currently struggling with this issue: can't purge RAM

Moving this post back into the AE forum for the OP's issue: RAM not being freed up.

Thanks,
                                              Kevin