2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 5:33 PM by LujanSolo

How would one add motion to a picture (jpg, png, etc) that would be relative to a video layer underneath?

LujanSolo Level 1

In the shot pictured below, the camera starts high in the sky, then comes down to the skyline, then goes back up.  The moon is a png that has been added in on top of the video layer.  I would like for the moon to stay in it's fake position, independent of the camera movement.  I suspect that I have to add motion to the png, but to do it in a way that is precisely relative (and opposing) to the camera movement is a bit beyond my knowledge.  I tried adding a null layer, while motion tracking a fixed point on the skyline, then pasting that motion into the null and making it all relative to my moon png.  It sort of works, but the moon hangs at the bottom of the screen when the camera reaches its apex, rather than moving "off screen" with where the skyline metaphysically would be.  Suggestions?skyline.JPG

• 1. Re: How would one add motion to a picture (jpg, png, etc) that would be relative to a video layer underneath?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have three options. The first would be to motio track something like the top of the building that is closest to the moon then apply that tracking info to a null and a parent the moon to the null.  If the top of the building goes out of frame you can just stop tracking then pick up the track when the building comes back into frame. You then have to set a couple of keyframes by hand to make the shot work.

You may also be able to camera track that shot and then set a ground plane and origin and a reference null. You would then make the moon layer 3-D, hold down the shift key while parenting the moon to the null so the moon layer snaps to the null's position, then adding some extra Z space to the moon and scaling it to fit.

If the camera motion is fairly smooth easiest option may be to set up some kind of guide layer so you know how far the moon is supposed to be above the building at the start and end of the shot and then keyframes frames for position for start and end. You then move to the apex of the camera move and set another key frame for position for the moon. You can then open the graph editor and adjust the speed  curves to make the shot look right. This last option may be the simplest. It's hard to say.

I just thought of one more option that would work perfectly if you have something in the shot that stays in the frame. You could stabilize motion usingthat point then position your moon, then add a null and tie the nulls position property to the anchor point of the footage, then parent both the footage and the moon to the null to remove the stabilization and add the camera movement to the moon.

• 2. Re: How would one add motion to a picture (jpg, png, etc) that would be relative to a video layer underneath?
            LujanSolo Level 1

Excellent!  Thank you so much.  I'm experimenting now with the best of those options for this particular scenario, as I'm now dealing with putting in a better version of the fake sky in there and masking it up with the horizon line.  I did a quick test run of option 3, and it works pretty well - just gotta smooth a few sections where the moon dances a bit. 

Again, thank you for your help!

Best,

J