2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 2:20 PM by jond36716689

Switching to new laptop lost all edits from previous laptop

jond36716689

hi

i have just got a new laptop and have connected my hard drive to it to start using Lightroom but when I load them in lightroom there are no edits, ratings etc it's just the raw file?

can I transfer across the edits from the old laptop?

i was using Lightroom Cc on the old laptop as well

cheers

• 1. Re: Switching to new laptop lost all edits from previous laptop
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You need to Copy your original catalog file from your old computer to the new computer and use that. By default LR stores all edits in the catalog file. So if you don't copy over the catalog file from the old computer to the new computer and you started a new catalog on the new computer all the edits you did on the old computer are lost.

One way around that is to check the option in the catalog settings to Auto write changes to XMP. With that option checked LR either creates a XMP file for 99% of RAW images or writes the changes to a special place in the actual image file for DNG, JPG, TIF and PSD files.

But turning that option on now won't help. You need your original catalog from the old computer. Or go back to the old computer with the external drive connected and turn that option on.

• 2. Re: Switching to new laptop lost all edits from previous laptop
            jond36716689 Level 1

superb this worked a treat, just replaced the catalogue I had inadvertently created with the old one saved off my old laptop.

thanks for the help