7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 3:43 AM by dj_paige

Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.

keiths59299267

I'm research a photo program to organize and edit images from my Nikon V1 and Nikon D7200.  Need to know if PhotoShop Lightroom works with the NEF Raw files.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, the current version of Lightroom will be able to use these files.

• 2. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
            keiths59299267 Level 1

Thanks.  Hey I'm new to this do you have any recommendations on purchasing Lightroom.   Currently using the limited IPhoto to organize and edit images. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
              dj_paige Level 9

That's a very broad question. "Recommendations" about what?

• 4. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two options for purchasing Lightroom. You can purchase Lightroom 6 which is a standalone program. You download the program and install it on your computer. You will receive updates that will support new cameras, but you will not receive any feature updates. Lightroom 6 does not include the popular dehaze filter and a few other features that have been added to Lightroom CC. The other option is to subscribe to the creative cloud photography plan which costs $9.99/month in the US. You download and install Lightroom and the latest version of Photoshop on your computer. The programs run locally on your computer. You have the extra features in Lightroom that have been added, and you also have access to Lightroom Mobile which is an application that can be installed on your IOS or android device so that you can work on images while you are on the go.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
                  keiths59299267 Level 1

Thanks a inch - that is very helpful. 

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
                    vms2

Pardon my lack of function here but this is my first post and I cannot find how to start a different question.  I see you answered a similar inquiry to mine but it will not work for me.  I have the latest, updated, CC version of the Adobe photographic package. and for my Nikon D7200 and my Sony RX 100 M4, I cannot get either Lightroom nor any other Adobe app in the photographic package to recognize the D7200's nef images or the RX 100 M4's arw images.  As in the original inquiry in this string, when I put the flash card (SD XCI or II SanDisk, Extreme Pro 64GB) in the reader, Lightroom (and Bridge) will open the import dialog, but only shows blank squares with the note that it cannot read the image (approximate quote).  However, if I use Preview (I have a MacPro with OS X 10.11.6) can see the images fine, but cannot get actual originals from there to Lightroom, Bridge or even Photoshop -- they will not recognize the images.  I have to physically open the card icon and copy the images into Bridge and then process them in Lightroom/Photoshop.  It's driving me nuts and I dread trying Adobe's phone tech help.

This has frustrated me for many months, but my schedule would not allow me to search for this forum and ask for help and I also thought that a update would come out for the problem.  Now, however the work around is so cumbersome that my schedule is worse than before.  I really need help if someone can provide it.

Thanks.  VMS

• 7. Re: Does Lightroom accept Nikon D7200 NEF (RAW) files.
                      dj_paige Level 9

If you are getting the error message that Lightroom cannot read the files, then this is a problem with the permissions on the Destination folder. Your operating system must show that you have WRITE permission to the Desteination folder. So, you can either

1. change the Destination folder to some other location where you have write permission
                      2. go into your opreating system and change the permissions on the exact Destination folder to write permission